Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon training log (Complete beginner)

Options
  • 12-01-2010 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Just an introduction to myself:

I'm 25yrs old from Waterford, living in Dublin. My sports background is non-existant really. I'm more or less a complete beginner. I can't even swim yet. Wish me luck. :)

Around summer last year I started running but I think I tried to do to much to fast and injured my left knee around August. It hurt pretty bad at the time, I've tried to start up running again before xmas and stopped due to niggly pain in the knee. So I went back to rest initially and have just begun strengthening my knee using squats and light cycling and will start swimming soon. So thats where I am now.

I've decided to start over really, and to integrate the rehab of the knee into my training by starting very slowly, and building it up from there. I've an 8 week course of swimming lessons booked to start on the 27th January. I'm planning on cycling about 3 times a week to work on cycling fitness and distance.

If the knee acts up again in the mean time I'm heading straight to the doctor, fingers crossed it wont affect me anymore. I'm planning on beginning running again on the first week of February.

I'll update this periodically to begin with and then daily when the training really takes off and I'll try to keep the same structure in each of my posts so that they're easy to read.

Also, this is mainly a motivational thing for me so any advice or criticism that you have I would love to hear it as it will only help me to be better in the end. Thanks in advance for all comments.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Hi tripper167, welcome to logs :) Best of luck with the year ahead and I'll pop in from time to time to see how you are going. Swimming lessons is the right way about it and fingers crossed the knee allows for some gradual build up of training for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 tripper167

MCOS wrote: »
    Hi tripper167, welcome to logs :) Best of luck with the year ahead and I'll pop in from time to time to see how you are going. Swimming lessons is the right way about it and fingers crossed the knee allows for some gradual build up of training for you.

Thanks a million MCOS, I hope it does too :( I'm thinking if I take it slowly enough it shouldn't flare up again and I should be able to get stuck in soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 tripper167

Tuesday 12/01/10

Exercise:
    Cycled in and out of work (2.8K (8mins with traffic lights) each way) Once home did 3xsets of 6 squats/6 lunges/20sit ups.

Thoughts/Notes:
    Only recently learned the correct form for squats and lunges and found that they are much harder than they used to be but with no knee pain involved. So I decided to start doing them from scratch and build myself up again. Planning on working up slowly to 3 sets of 15 before adding weight.

Almost no knee pain this day, a few twinges when I turned awkwardly on the sore leg.

Plan:
    Plan on doing the same cycle Wednesday plus a stand alone 5km (approx.) cycle in the evening and leaving Thursday for a bit of rest.

Advertisement