Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More floods.

Options
  • 12-01-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭

Well if the weather people are right there is going to be quite a bit of flooding today and 2moro.So far these are the places that i have heard that have serious flooding

Sarsfield roundabout
    Straight road(as usualy expected)
    Magazine road
    Many roads in and out of mallow(sorry i cant be more specific)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Man what an awful start to the New Year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

River here in UCC is brown as sh!te and is running very fast. Floods on the way I'd say.

Hey Fabio, thanks for that update. Can you post if it's gets worse? I'm living by the river and was lucky last time but I think Karma is calling..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Fabio wrote: »
    River here in UCC is brown as sh!te and is running very fast. Floods on the way I'd say.

Is tide high?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

leahyl wrote: »
    Is tide high?

Yeah just saw a post over on the UCC forum that the water behind the WGB is quite high at the moment and high tide isnt for another few hours i think. Get out those sandbags as a precaution id say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

I don't think there is ant official warnings out there at the moment but if I were living in a flood prone area I'd be moving any valuable stuff or electronic stuff to a room upstairs as a precaution. Just my two cents...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My sister tells me that the river has burst its banks at Vienna Woods in Glanmire and that it is now impassable. I don't know how true it is though.

janeybabe wrote: »
    My sister tells me that the river has burst its banks at Vienna Woods in Glanmire and that it is now impassable. I don't know how true it is though.

Wouldn't be suprised to be honest.....that rain was unreal:rolleyes:

I will take full blame for the rain. I said a few times yesterday that I would like some rain for awhile. :rolleyes:

janeybabe wrote: »
    I will take full blame for the rain. I said a few times yesterday that I would like some rain for awhile. :rolleyes:

yes you should it's all YOUR FAULT!!:mad:..........:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Monaghan Road fully flooded - anyone with a car parked down there, move it or lose it.
    Anymore info on Vienna Woods area?

leahyl wrote: »
    yes you should it's all YOUR FAULT!!:mad:..........:p

Yeah well I'm blaming you for the snow. :mad: Oh no wait, the snow was great fun! Thanks for that. :D

Bus Eireann Update:

Update @ 13.00
    Due to flooding in Cork, a number of services are currently being diverted:
    226 Cork Airport- Cork service rerouted via Link Road due to flooding @ Kinsale Rd
    214 Patrick St-CUH Flooding at Sairsfield Road curtailed to Elmvale
    219 Mahon-Bishopstown - Flooding at Sairsfield Road rerouted via Clashduv
    237 Cork-Goleen – there is a major flooding alert for 14:00hrs at Skibbereen and services may have to rerouted
    222 Cork-Fountainstown Service still not servicing Crosshaven / Fountainstown (fallen tree)

AA road Watch Update:

*MUNSTER* *N71/CORK* The N71 Cork/Bandon Rd is closed until further notice between Innishannon Village & Halfway R/A following a collision. Diversions are in place; Gardaí warn motorists that the diversionary route may flood in the next few hours. Avoid this route. *CORK CITY* Very stormy. Gardai are advising motorists to avoid Lee Rd, Magazine Rd, Mallow & Centre Park Rd due to debris and surface water. Leemount Rd, the Old Mallow Rd, Victoria Rd, Matthews Hill and the Monaghan Rd are impassable. • The Kinsale Rd is closed from the Kinsale Rd R/A to the Tramore Rd due to flooding. * The Sarsfield Rd is impassable from the R/A toward Doughloyne.
    • School Hill in Grenagh is closed until further notice due to an unstable building. • A tree down on Shanakiel Rd, avoid until further notice. • Ballea Rd in Carrigaline is impassable due to flooding. The Carrigaline/Crosshaven Rd (R612) is impassable. • In Cobh, it's icy at Cuskinny, Ballybrassil, Bellard Hill & Spy Hill. *WEST CORK* Flooding around Bantry between Pierson's bridge and Ballylickey. *NORTH CORK* Spaglen in Mallow is impassable due to flooding. Heavy surface water on the N20 at Newtwopothouse and at Ballybegbends coming into Buttevant. The Doneraile/Castletownroche Rd near Mallow remains blocked due to icy conditions. *CORK/KERRY* Severe flooding on the N22 Cork/ Tralee Rd, especially between Macroom and Lissarda- barely passable, also flooding approaching Killarney.

poconnor16 wrote: »
    Monaghan Road fully flooded - anyone with a car parked down there, move it or lose it.
    Anymore info on Vienna Woods area?

Just heard from a colleague that river has burst it's banks there. Impassable

We're at high tide now though, so hopefully it wont get any worse than this?:confused:
    On the upside, Cork is due a balmy 12 degrees on Friday - get the flip flops out now:)

We're at high tide now though, so hopefully it wont get any worse than this?:confused:
    On the upside, Cork is due a balmy 12 degrees on Friday - get the flip flops out now:)

Woohoo i'll get the sun loungers ready:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Friend of mine just phoned to tell me his car is now dead after driving through what seemed like a shallow flood. It probably was, but his mistake was to follow the car in front at the same pace. And now he most likely needs a new engine after it digested some water.

If you have to drive in floods :
    Wait for the water's wake from the car in front to settle.
    Drive through at the same speed, keep your engine revs reasonably high to prevent water entering the exhaust system.
    Apply your brakes immediately after leaving the flood to burn off any water on the discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sallystar

Passed through Glanmire at 1400 and the road between the village and Riverstown was almost impassable then. Never seen it so bad and I'm living here years. I'd advise ppl to take another route just to be safe:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Working on Victoria Road in town and the river is looking really high I cant believe how fast it is rising...

Coming back from lunch Centre Park Road was closed off, I would chance it sometimes when they have the sign up but tis bad down there most of the offices have closed due to the floods..Albert road wasnt looking the best either all by the pedestrian crossing was flooded at 2.00.

Same with the road heading towards Aston there is a burst pipe there and theres fecking water everywhere...

I really hope it doesnt flood bad for everyone who got the worst end of it the last time....But I am very very tempted to go home and put me wellies and tutu on and go splashing :)

Now hearing that the business' in the South Mall are being evacuated? Anyone hear the same? Or has this one grown legs....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I havent heard anything, one of the girls just came back from Town though saying it wasnt looking very nice in there

Traffic is going to be crazy tonight - if possible, I would get out of work/college early - for those of you who have considerate superiors and actually can.
    We are on Monaghan Rd but have to stay put :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Is this looking as bad as last time?

sunnyside wrote: »
    Is this looking as bad as last time?

On Monaghan road - defo. But that cant be taken as a reflection of everywhere else.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

On Monaghan road - defo. But that cant be taken as a reflection of everywhere else.....

did the river burst the banks then?

Paul91 wrote: »
    did the river burst the banks then?

I cant see all the way across to the riverside, but they are saying centre park road is flooded too which suggests it has in places in the Marina.
    I kinda forgot my wellies today, otherwise I'd take a wade over to see what the story is:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

Douglas is fine. Few puddles around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

How badly flooded is the Sarsfields Road if anybody knows?

Sarsfield Rd is impassible from the roundabout to the Doughcloyne - from AA roadwatch

• Advertisement

Any news on the river along the north mall and where the wall broke the last time we had floods?

Advertisement