Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water pressure problem

Options
  • 12-01-2010 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

hi. living in rhebogue.had no water for a day or two. it came back sunday night. water is running fine in kitchen tap and pressure seems fine. but water coming from tank seems to be slow,when i check taps upstairs it runs for bout ten seconds on full blast and then slows down to a drip. checked tank and its full. no ice round it.just wondering is anyone else having same problem with there hot water before i start messing with it. i did here on radio that water pressure was low but the fact the the main tap pressure is fine,i thought once the attic tank is full that the hot water should run ok. if anyone could shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MrFireBox

Sounds like you have water coming in on the mains supply as everything is fine in kitchen. I would think one of your pipes in the attic is frozen. If you go up there to the main tank and push the ballcock down does water start to enter the tank? I would say one of the supply pipes to the bathroom upstairs is frozen. This would be one of the other pipes, i.e. not the one the ballcock is attached to. You could try bringing a hairdryer into attic and try unfreeze the pipes (By blowing the hot air at the pipes running from the tank), could take a while though. Obviously keep the hairdryer away from water, or you'll fry yourself!

I'm not a plumber so I might not be correct in what I'm saying but its worth a try.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭wildrover444

yeah could be frozen pipes. water does come out when i push down on ballcock in tank. its every tap except the main tap in kitchen that is losing pressure. il leave the attic cover off for a day or two and let some heat up there,if that doesn't work il try the hair dryer. im hoping its that rather than any trapped air that might have got in when the tank was empty. cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I'm having a similar situation, my water came back yesterday but the tank in the attic is not automatically refilling itself and the pressure clock is at 0.
    Is this the council keeping the pressure low or a problem still with my water??

Millie wrote: »
    I'm having a similar situation, my water came back yesterday but the tank in the attic is not automatically refilling itself and the pressure clock is at 0.
    Is this the council keeping the pressure low or a problem still with my water??

Have you one or two tanks in attic?

If you press down on the ballcock and no water enters the tank it sounds like the pipe is frozen.

Is there any insulation around the pipes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

MrFireBox wrote: »
    Have you one or two tanks in attic?

If you press down on the ballcock and no water enters the tank it sounds like the pipe is frozen.

Is there any insulation around the pipes?

One (big!) tank (it takes ages to fill it).
    I have tried messing around with the ballcock but no water action whatsoever.
    Was just thinking should I call a plumber or just wait.
    I'm hoping as the temps have risen somewhat today that I will go home to the miracle of hassle free flowing water.
    God how we take it for granted!

• Advertisement

Yeah my water only came back today, don't think there are any burst pipes I suppose I'll find out very fast when I go home!

If you move the ballcock down and no water enters the tank that pipe is frozen. You could try unfreeze it with a hairdryer but be careful you don't fry yourself!

Advertisement