Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Building/Getting a Windows Home Server?

Options
  • 12-01-2010 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Recently had a disk failure in the HTPC and have been mulling over which option to provide a more robust solution for my media. Was initially thinking of getting a NAS but have also thought about a windows home server (WHS) to provide storage and backup features for my home LAN.

I have an old PC (see specification below) which perhaps is a bit too old for the task (can anybody advise?) Also wondered about the power consumption considering it will be on 24x7. The Noise isnt much of a problem as it would be upstairs in the office rather than where we watch TV.

Currently I have a WAP (EW7209APg 802.11g Access Point) connected to the router (broadband will be 15M upc) with the following attached to the switch/hub:
    1) HTPC connected via those home socket plugs , specification is 200Mbit
    2) desktop connected via an ethernet LAN network
    3) Laptop via wifi at 54Mbps

For future proofing I guess streaming content from the potential WHS and the internet would be about the height of it so I dont want to have an internal bottlenecks? Ie is the WAP sufficient, or does it need to be a giga switch? will the home plug-ins become a bottleneck for internet/WHS streaming ? Again any expert advice would be appreciated

The PC is a min-tower with this specification as attached.

Which I imagine doesnt appear up to the task. Perhaps a new mobo? and how best to provide enough storage capability? What Rack options? I really have no experience in this area. I dont mind buying 2nd hand from the likes of adverts.ie but I really dont know what to be looking for. As a bonus I can get a legit copy of WHS for little or nothing. Or would buying a dedicated server be just as cheap?

Alot of question but I'd be grateful if somebody could point me in the right direction?

Thanks
    W.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭jbloggs

Your specs look a bit on the low side, although it may run it for the short term...I recently built one using the following:

Asus V2-P5G45 (barebones)
    Intel Celeron E3200
    2GB OCZ PC26400 ram
    Seagate 750GB as system HDD, added 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 2 1.5TB Samsung EcoGreen F2s...

A few decent places to get info are:

We Got Served

HomeServerLand

MaximumPC

MS Windows Home Server

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

I'm also looking into a WHS setup. I think buying a preconfigured system is the way to go as it really needs to be low powered to leave on all day. There are some decent atom based systems.

I'm moving over from a Synology Diskstation. I've been using it for 4 years and I would highly recommend them. They have different servers to suit all needs. The reason I'm considering switching is because I'm a windows software developer and cannot be arsed getting into linux. I can mod a WHS with ease and even host ASP web pages.

Does anyone have a WHS? Can you tell us your experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

jbloggs wrote: »
    Your specs look a bit on the low side, although it may run it for the short term...I recently built one using the following:

Asus V2-P5G45 (barebones)
    Intel Celeron E3200
    2GB OCZ PC26400 ram
    Seagate 750GB as system HDD, added 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 2 1.5TB Samsung EcoGreen F2s...

A few decent places to get info are:

We Got Served

HomeServerLand

MaximumPC

MS Windows Home Server

Hi Jbloggs. How would you rate WHS? One thing I'm not sure about is whether you can use it as a regular server or are you restricted to the console? Can you install any windows software on it or are you restricted to WHS add-ins?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 swhelband

Hey guys

Personally I love WHS. It's essentially Windows 2003 Standard with 10 CALs. So basically you can install anything onto it without any issue (as long as it doesn't potentially impact the WHS specific technology (Drive Extender etc).

I have a number of blog engines and database all running happily on the main machine. It also runs Virtual Server in which I'm running a number of VM sandbox dev and research machines without any issue (including an instance of WHS for development purposes).

The backup is flawless (it controls the backups for all of my other machines in the house and has saved my bacon more times than I care to admit). You can also access your backups from any machine on the network which is great.

Mine is a home grown WHS based on an old Dell PowerEdge SC1420 I had no further use for (running with a Xeon 2.8Ghz). Runs happily with 2.5Gb RAM and currently has just under 2Tb attached to it.

I then use the Jungle Disk WHS addon to then upload all critical data from my WHS to Amazon S3 every night (photo's, important docs etc).

Probably not the most economical h/w to run it on 24/7 but it works a treat.

Advertisement