Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Numberplate not included in sale?

• 12-01-2010 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Looking at a Northern used motor - but says 'numberplate not included in sale'. How would this work IF bringing car south?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

AFAIK it can be changed back to its original number. prob a personalised plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 00D911

Id imagine the car has a private plate in N.i and it is not being sold with the car. You will get an Irish number plate when you register it and pay the Vrt here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm guessing the car is on a private plate. The seller will have to put the private plate on retention, the car will then be issued with a normal reg, then they sell the car to you. It can result in a delay of a couple of weeks before you get the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Daveq

What it means is that he/she has a personalised, fancy, custom whatever plate and wants to keep it for his next car. It doesnt matter to you what the plate says because you will be changing it but it will matter to him, if the car is regestered here, he will have to fill out the UK form to say it was exported, the plate will then return to the kitty and he will loose his number and have to apply for it again.

What he will have to is apply for a cherished plate transfer and transfer the number from that car onto his next one or just into his possesion if he hasn't got a car yet, you can buy the car insure it and drive it from the UK or North on the number currently on it, but you can't VRT it until he gets the new number for it.
    The problem then is you should VRT a car here on the next working day, so you shouldn't be driving it but if you want to drive it here in the mean time you have to go to the VRT office and get a form to say you are awaiting documentation, this will do if you are stopped by the Garda, they may only give you 24hrs on this and you will have to return the next day for another one, it depends on who does it for you, you may get it for a week.
    When he gives you the new number he's been given for the car, he will also have to post you the douments then you can go and VRT it based on this, you dont need to get new plates with the new number made just for the VRT visit.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Thanks lads. Looks like theres an extra hoop to jump IF I go for that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Eurorunner wrote: »
    Thanks lads. Looks like theres an extra hoop to jump IF I go for that one.
    It is possible that the owner has already put the plate on retention - if this is the case than you've nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

A friend of mine bought a car with this issue, the original ownerput the private plate on retention & he put a "normal" number on the car beofre my friend picked it up.

Advertisement