Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ability of glass to withstand this wind

• 12-01-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

On stormy days like these, I look at the DG window in my bay and can see the glass pane move in & out in a sort of bulging movement with the gusting wind - sometimes by what looks like a lot to me (1/4 inch maybe?).:eek:

Its a big pane, maybe 1.5m square. Is this level of movment normal & ok for glass? Is there a certain size beyond which they shouldn't make single panes of glass for ordinary houses?

Just want to avoid the worst...cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

I live in an elevated coastal site and this morning we had gusts up to 110km/hr. our sunroom has s south facing wall with eight large DG panes of approx 1.2m X 2m. The glass is just regular 4mm and in these winds it can look scary to see them bulging. We have had them in for a few years now and we are confident they can hold up to the worst storms.I would check the silicone or seals regularly for fatique and replace as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭40701085

That's good to know - cheers

Advertisement