Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is my stopcock?

• 12-01-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

My water has been off since Friday (well, getting steadily worse since Friday and last night went completely). I phoned the council and was told that it was a localised problem, ie my stopcock has probably frozen over. The weather hasn't been that cold for the last 2 days - it was much colder for the 2 weeks leading up to Xmas, but whatever. The guy suggested I either 'wait and see' or 'pour hot water on the stopcock'. If it's still off when I get home this evening, I guess I'll try the latter, but have no eartly clue where my stopcock is. I know there's no way of telling really, but can someone give me a general idea what to even look for? Will there be a small lid somewhere in the street outside my house that says 'stopcock' that I can lift up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

It could be almost anywhere depending on the area you live in, but in a suburban house it's most likely to be in the path to your front door or in the pavement outside, close to the house boundary. Usually it's a small round cast iron lid that's hinged on one side, not necessarily marked with anything.

Advertisement