Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why cant BOI transfer money into a non BOI account without an IBAN?

Options
  • 12-01-2010 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

I wanted to transferr money from one BOI account to an AIB account. I didnt have the IBAN of the destination account so BOI cannot transferr the money.

Funny thing is, I can do it immediately via Rabo Direct. Why can one bank allow this, but another bank say its not possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

They should be able to do it with just the sort code (9x-xx-xx usually) and account number, i'm not sure why they're telling you otherwise unless the account you're sending to is outside the normal irish sorting system?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As long as you have a sort code and an account code and it's an Irish bank, then you should be able to transfer the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

nope, cashier told me without an IBAN he could do nothing except give me a bankers draft, that i could then take to the local AIB and log into the AIB account.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Unless you have a pre-printed giro/lodgement docket for the non BOI account, you can't just do it on a regular lodgement docket, they're only for internal use, and won't clear through to AIB. If you're doing it online, you can use the account number and sort code, but if you want the branch to do it, you will indeed need the iban and swift.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭aonoco

It is probably internal policy and a correct one at that. IBAN accounts greatly reduce the risk of the money going missing or into an incorrect account etc, it happens allot. (non BANK OF IRELAND EMPLOYEE BTW)

Should be very easy to obtain the IBAN of the account you wish to pay for, appears on statements and if not there a quick call to the bank in question will provide it

there are even auto generators such as http://www.skynet.ie/~martin/pages/iban.html

Whilst RABO will do it for the moment, this will change in time due to EU policy and ibans which is still in a transition phase across some eu countries

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Is it an easy savings account by chance? I had the same issue. They said that's just how their system is setup for those types of accounts and you need iban and bik to transfer. Once i gave those i had no issues.

Advertisement