Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamb Hearts

Options
  • 12-01-2010 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I've just picked up three lamb hearts in the butchers this morning.

My mam used to cook them for us years ago, and I loved them.

Anyone got any idea how they should be cooked? Something simple please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I too remember eating heart as a kid. I'm not sure whether they were lambs hearts or something bigger like ox or pigs heart. Anyway, my mum just used to stuff them with ordinary sage and onion stuffing and roast them in the oven, but maybe you could experiment with some more exotic stuffings? I'd suspect something with fruit in such as dried apricots would suit them well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

aluns idea is probably best/easiest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I used to do a mixed grill with these, liver and kidneys for Dad years ago. Lambs heart is really, really nice.

What i would do: Wash really well, cleaning all the valves etc. I used to steep them over night (important for the kidneys if ever you try them). Slice them horizontally and thinly enough (so it cooks at same time as every thing else), dust with seasoned flour and fry in Kerrygold... i know, not exactly the healthiest but NYOM :) Big thick batch and you're in heaven.

One of the chefs in the finals of Gordon Ramsey's latest F-word made a dish that was pork cooked 3 ways, which involved roast pork belly, brawn and thin strips of pigs heart cooked the way you described. It didn't go down too well with the 'select' audience, but that was probably because a lot of them were girls and were a bit squeamish about the whole offal thing, but it sounds a good way of cooking them. You wouldn't want to over cook them though, I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

How does heart taste relative to kidneys or liver? I like kidneys & liver btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Not as strong a taste as Liver, never had Kidney, so can't comment on that.

I hate liver.

From what I remember, nothing like either of them. Remember, the heart is just another muscle really, not 'innards' like other forms of offal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Hard to describe but its worth having a go. The times I had them they were boiled but I would say this would not be the best way to go.

Probably roasted with some kind of fruit stuffing and covered with silver foil to stop them drying out.

Let us know how you got on.

Cheers folks. I'll try this out when the spring lamb comes in. Interested to hear how you get on Des.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've had beef heart BBQd on skewers.
    It was like fillet steak but with more flavour!!

• Advertisement

I'm going to soak them overnight, then make a stuffing and try to stuff them, the holes of the arteries are fairly small, so I don't know how I'm going to stuff them.

Stuffing recipe anyone?

The butcher said to roast them for 45mins, is that about right?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

we used to just wash them under running water, wrap in tin foil and roast. didnt bother trying to stuff the little things. I hate them though, dont like lamb, and find that heart tastes like condensed flavour of lamb.

Tree wrote: »
    we used to just wash them under running water, wrap in tin foil and roast. didnt bother trying to stuff the little things. I hate them though, dont like lamb, and find that heart tastes like condensed flavour of lamb.

MMmmmm now I really want to try lamb heart!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I would braise them rather than an uncovered roast - they are prone to drying out. Fry them to add a little colour then stuff them with breadcrumbs, softened onion, parsley, thyme and a little grated lemon rind. Fry another onion, some carrot and a stick of celery, add a stock cube and enough water to cover the bottom of a casserole with an inch of liquid. Add the stuffed hearts, cover and cook for about an hour and a half at 170c.

Check about half way for liquid and add some if it is drying out. Thicken the liquid with a little beurre manie at the end to make a sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

:eek: My Mam stuffs them with black pudding and roasts them, my Dad has them the next day sliced up for a sandwich.

I tried some years ago when I was a child and did not like them and had forgotten about them until I read this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I've stuffed and baked them - wrapping them in tin foil prevents them from drying out and make the stuffing fairly moist.

Alternatively they make a lovely casserole, the gravy is really rich and yummy,. Very slow cooking (fast cooking can make them tough) in a low oven with onions, red wine etc.

blinding wrote: »
    Probably roasted with some kind of fruit stuffing and covered with silver foil to stop them drying out.

Let us know how you got on.
    Cheers folks. I'll try this out when the spring lamb comes in. Interested to hear how you get on Des.
    So, I had these this evening.

Just made a normal onion and herb stuffing and stuffed them, which was easier than I thought it was going to be.

I roasted them in tinfoil for 45-50mins
    Tree wrote: »
    I hate them though, dont like lamb, and find that heart tastes like condensed flavour of lamb.

That's not how I'd describe the flavour at all, yes, you'd know you were eating lamb, but they have a more subtle flavour than lamb chops.

They were lovely, and I'd have them again. I ate two, with mash and carrots, so there's a third one left over, cooked, which I'm not quite sure what to do with.

The parts of the tubes left inside the heart are like gristle, so I just cut around them.

All in all, I'm glad I bought them, it wasn't something I'd cooked before, and now I've added something else to my repertoire. Also, the nostalgia value can't be beat. And for only a euro each too.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭SnoozySuzie

I love lambs heart but havent had them in years! My ma use to stuff them(breadcrumbs, onion,butter, parsley+thyme) and roast them. They are even nicer the next day in a white bread sandwich with brown sauce. Use to freak the other kids out in school though at lunch time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

where did you buy them des? buckleys on talbot street sell them fairly cheapish

where did you buy them des? buckleys on talbot street sell them fairly cheapish
    Local butcher in Finglas, yeah, saw them in FXBs too when I worked in town, they were about the same price.

• Advertisement

Must get me some of them!!

Must get me some of them!!

I think most butchers have them now, don't pay more than a euro each for them, or else you're being ripped off.

Sory for dragging this up, but I got some lambs hearts the other day ... a grand total of €1.50 for two! A surprisng amount of meat on them too I must say, and even my normally offal-hating wife thought they were great. Will certainly be getting them again. BTW I stuffed them, browned them off in a little oil and butter and then braised them in the oven with a little beef stock for about 50mins at 180.

Bought them in Hayes butchers in Bray BTW.

What sort of stuffing did you use Alun?

What sort of stuffing did you use Alun?
    Just a simple parsley and thyme stuffing (breadcrumbs, onion sweated in butter, egg, parsley and thyme) that's all. I was planning on maybe something with nuts and apricots in but discovered I didn't have any apricots in the end. Not that there was that much room for stuffing anyway .. I don't reckon I got much more than a couple of teaspoons in each one in the end, as I said they were surprisingly meaty, and there wasn't much of a hole to stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I love this way of cooking them...

For the stuffing; Button Mushrooms, Celery, Butter, Walnuts, Fresh Parsley, Salt and Pepper, breadcrumbs.

Sweat the mushrooms & celery, add breadcrumbs, nuts, herbs & season.

Cut through the heart pockets & stuff, then sew up / skewer.

Roast for around an hour or until tender, basting a few times. & turning midway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Des wrote: »
    The parts of the tubes left inside the heart are like gristle, so I just cut around them.

Pity I didn't see this - I would have said the tubes are very rubbery and gristly - when I used to cook lamb hearts, I cut out the central tubes and stuffed the hollow, then cooked, wrapped in tinfoil to prevent trying out. Makes them nice to slice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

This thread reminded me that I have a heart in the fridge. I know what I'm having for dinner, stuffed with whatever comes to hand (I have some cream cheese and chives... I wonder what that'd be like).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Ohh I wonder what it would taste like if you stuffed it with liver, mushrooms & onions. Or too much?
    I'll have to do one - do you think it needs gravy?

• Advertisement

olaola wrote: »
    Ohh I wonder what it would taste like if you stuffed it with liver, mushrooms & onions. Or too much?
    I'll have to do one - do you think it needs gravy?
    Might be a bit of a flavour overload I reckon, they're quite strongly flavoured themselves, and as I mentioned they aren't huge inside either (or at least the ones I got weren't) so take very little stuffing.

Gravy wise, as I said, I braised mine so just reduced the stock that was left over a bit and thickened it a little with some beurre manié.

Advertisement