Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamb Hearts

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

olaola wrote: »
    Ohh I wonder what it would taste like if you stuffed it with liver, mushrooms & onions. Or too much?
    I'll have to do one - do you think it needs gravy?
    I always think that they taste like a milder version of liver, so stuffing it with liver might be a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hmmm...

You could try a stuffing of breadcrumbs (or use couscous or rice instead) mixed with chopped toasted pine nuts, chopped mint, chopped dried apricot and a sprinkle of cinnamon - bind with a little melted butter, stuff hollowed out hearts and roast in tinfoil.

Alternatively try breadcrumbs, chopped chestnuts that have been fried off in a touch of butter, some chopped rosemary, some chopped garlic and some finely chopped onion (very finely chopped).

The secret with stuffing these is to keep the stuffing very fine - too coarse, and it'll fall out of the heart, where even if you hollow it out by removing the tubes you can still only fit about a heaped tablespoon of stuffing into it. That's why I did them in the foil pockets - you can add a couple more spoons of stuffing and it all cooks in with the heart so you get the flavour.

The secret with stuffing these is to keep the stuffing very fine - too coarse, and it'll fall out of the heart, where even if you hollow it out by removing the tubes you can still only fit about a heaped tablespoon of stuffing into it. That's why I did them in the foil pockets - you can add a couple more spoons of stuffing and it all cooks in with the heart so you get the flavour.
    You must be getting very small hearts. I fit the best part of half a cereal bowl of stuffing in mine last night (brown breadcrumbs, melted butter, sage, chives, thyme) and I didn't bother removing the tubes either. Just crammed it in there with my thumb.

Verdict; scrummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

kylith wrote: »
    You must be getting very small hearts. I fit the best part of half a cereal bowl of stuffing in mine last night (brown breadcrumbs, melted butter, sage, chives, thyme) and I didn't bother removing the tubes either. Just crammed it in there with my thumb.

Verdict; scrummy.

Yeah - I buy lamb's hearts, so they're about the size of my closed fist (and I got small hands). Lambs aren't very big. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭restaurants

Minder wrote: »
    I would braise them rather than an uncovered roast - they are prone to drying out. Fry them to add a little colour then stuff them with breadcrumbs, softened onion, parsley, thyme and a little grated lemon rind. Fry another onion, some carrot and a stick of celery, add a stock cube and enough water to cover the bottom of a casserole with an inch of liquid. Add the stuffed hearts, cover and cook for about an hour and a half at 170c.
    Sounds great.
    Why do the butchers not carry the lamb hearts, like the rest of the lamb joints.?
    They all do liver, etc, but not the hearts.

• Advertisement

Yeah - I buy lamb's hearts, so they're about the size of my closed fist (and I got small hands). Lambs aren't very big. :)
    So do I. From a stand selling nothing but lamb. It was only the size of my wee girlie fist too, smaller even. Maybe my lamb just had jumbo ventricles.

Sounds great.
    Why do the butchers not carry the lamb hearts, like the rest of the lamb joints.?
    They all do liver, etc, but not the hearts.
    Most of them do have them if you ask. Depending on where I go I often have to ask for kidney's too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

So do I. From a stand selling nothing but lamb. It was only the size of my wee girlie fist too, smaller even. Maybe my lamb just had jumbo ventricles.
    I was also surprised with the amount of stuffing I got into my hearts.
    Most of them do have them if you ask. Depending on where I go I often have to ask for kidney's too.
    Over the last 12 months or so I've started seeing hearts in an increasing number of butchers, but that's in Dublin, I notice the poster you replied to is in Galway.

But yeah, all good butchers will order in any meat you ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Just picked up some hearts today, they were only 50c each in my local Centra. I've found a recipe online for Hot and Spicy Lambs' Hearts, so am going to give that a try. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Advertisement