Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rachel Allen sandwiches at O'Briens

Options
  • 12-01-2010 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Has anybody tried them yet? Any recommendations? I will be trying them out as soon as I can get out and about as normal again. (Icy/flooded roads today) At €4.50 they are cheaper than most of the regular O'Briens sandwiches.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Why? Is this the €4.50 isn't a cheap sandwich debate again? I don't want to argue about the cost of sliced pans!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

O'Brien's sandwiches do not cost 4.50.

Today I saw an offer in one of their shops. Two filling sandwich, tea, coffee or water, small bar, crisps and a piece of fruit - 5 euro - not bad value at all.

I agree but the Rachel Allen sandwiches are advertised as costing €4.50 each. My local O'Briens never has those €5 offers. I don't buy their sandwiches much as a result.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This thread is about Rachel Allen's sandwiches in O' Briens, nothing else. All off-topic posts have been deleted, and any posts relating to alleged illegal activities from now on will result in a banning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

her tv ad for the sambos would not entice me to buy them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

sunnyside wrote: »
    Why? Is this the €4.50 isn't a cheap sandwich debate again? I don't want to argue about the cost of sliced pans!

No, it's the lol @ celeb endorsed sambos tasting any better than any other pre packed sambos

I've clearly missed all the excitement on this thread but I can confirm that I had one of the sandwiches today, the chicken one with cashew nuts and celery and it was delicious:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Right since my post was deleted I'll just reiterate my point! No intention of having any of these since the ad annoys me so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

sunnyside wrote: »
    I've clearly missed all the excitement on this thread but I can confirm that I had one of the sandwiches today, the chicken one with cashew nuts and celery and it was delicious:)

What other sorts of sangwiches are there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Hmm that woman does irk me, and I can't eat bread so would rather a wrap.
    Does she do wraps?
    Also a wrap with tuna/sweetcorn etc usually costs less than €4 so I think the price being a reason to choose her brand would depend on what you normally buy.

WindSock wrote: »
    What other sorts of sangwiches are there?

There's an egg sandwich and a mexican sandwich with cheese/bacon. They have rather long fancy names which I can't remember. But there's only 3 options.
    star-pants wrote: »
    Does she do wraps?

No, only 3 things on the Rachel Allen menu but if you ask for a wrap instead with the same ingredients I doubt they'd say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Hello Rachel Allen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Amalgam wrote: »
    Hello Rachel Allen.

What do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

That's hardly exciting, 3 options
    one being egg, one being a mexican with bacon and last one being chicken with cashew nuts?
    Plus you'd get an egg sandwich for cheaper than 4.50.
    Are they not premade? cuz if they're not premade then do they just use their own ingredients and make it up in front of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Load of bollox really. O'Briens are in trouble and desperate to woo back some customers, but I'm not convinced that having a few Rachel Allen-endorsed sandwiches on the menu is going to have people queuing up in droves. And only 3 options? Why not a few more? O'Briens do decent sandwiches but they were always overpriced, and it's the cost they need to look at most of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 s123

O’Brien’s are not nice; the ingredients are poor quality esp. that gray dry looking bacon! Putting a celebrity name on 3 of their sandwiches is not going to fool me into buying them. If I don't bring a sandwich to work I would prefer to spend my money on something that is fresh with good quality ingredients e.g. munchies is good (Italian scallion- my favourite) or that French sandwich place around the corner from the grooming rooms!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Are O Brien's not bankrupt? Thought this alliance was strange when I saw it. Agree with other posters, they'd be better off doing a value menu and improving the quality of their ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

no, i will not be trying a manky o'briens sandwich for E4.50 when their other manky sandwiches cost half the price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 peterwhilluk

Why is rachel allen putting on a posh dublin/British accent.
    Its so false, i cant stand watching her anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

It's not put on. Look at her mother. She clearly taught her kids to speak in the same way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

1. Why would you bother bumping a 4 month old thread to say that?
    2. What relevance does her accent have to her food?
    3. Don't do that again.

Thread locked, because posters can never seem to hold themselves back when it comes to the Allen family.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement