Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owl City

Options
  • 12-01-2010 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

I've just discovered this band and its brillant track Fireflies

Anyone know more about them or any recommendations of them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

Go listen to some Postal Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 funkyfemme

JP Liz wrote: »
    I've just discovered this band and its brillant track Fireflies

Anyone know more about them or any recommendations of them?

Yeah, I've heard of them......don't really know anything about them though but heard their track "Hello Seattle" and thought it was cool!! Just checked their myspace and see they're doing a huge tour, not coming to Ireland but a few UK dates.... www.myspace.com/owlcity

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Takk wrote: »

It's hard to call anyone for plagiarism in music but god damn Owl City are pushing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 abandinhope

Takk wrote: »

Pretty much this.

When I heard Fireflies for the first time I thought "ooohhh this sounds like the Postal Service!"

But halfway through it I became pretty bored, which I can't ever see happening with Ben Gibbard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭je suis awesome

saltwater room is a great song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Heard fireflies on the radio the last day and my first thought was "wtf is this auto-tuned rubbish?"
    Am I missing something? :S

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

2010 could be the year of the rip-offs, Owl City is a horrible version of The Postal Service with (imo) weak lyrics, poor choruses and a REALLY contrived singing voice. I'm not trying to sound elitist, literally just spend a couple of minutes on YouTube and you'll see.

And Ke$ha, though I like her Tik Tok song, is very very similar to Uffie, especially her "The Party" song

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Allure_

If i hear this band again im going to cry ,whiny and awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I liked Owl City it made me kinda feel happy, but I dunno sick of them now

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SD7792

I can't listen to fireflies enough and i'm not the only one as its number 1 in the irish charts this week.

But today i decided to listen to the samples of their album on their myspace page and they ALL sound the same :(

• Advertisement

SD7792 wrote: »
    I can't listen to fireflies enough and i'm not the only one as its number 1 in the irish charts this week.

But today i decided to listen to the samples of their album on their myspace page and they ALL sound the same :(
    Ah now, its not all the same atall!
    Its just the same genre love the likes of Hot Air Balloon, Dental Care, Hello Seattle and Vanilla Twilight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

don't mind the song, but is it just me or is it wayover rated???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Got their album and have to say I like about 3/4 songs on it (Vanilla Twilight ftw) - it's happy music but if you're going to compare it to Postal Service or Death Cab for Cutie then it's a miserable fail of an album.

On another note it's really annoying when you discover music before it becomes mainstream, listened to Owl City alot in October and now that it's all over the radio it's reaaaaaaly annoying!! I was tired of Fireflies a while ago...I'm sick of it now!!

Also if people here think Owl Citys lyrics are poor - listen to Ndubz - the most ridiculous lyrics you'll ever here like "I'm on some CSI behaviour, who's gona save ya" "I can't help myself I love girls" & my personal favourite - " I've been searching all over facebook and I can't seem to find ya" It's soul destroying stuff!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

Yeah, I heard Fireflies and really liked it. Then after about two listens, I thought "Man, I really want to listen to Death Cab* now." I think that sums up what 90% of posters so far have said.

* can be interchanged with the Postal Service for the purpose of this argument

After thinking about it just now I wouldn't mind listening to some Jack's Mannequin. This is gonna go on for a while.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Got their album and have to say I like about 3/4 songs on it (Vanilla Twilight ftw) - it's happy music but if you're going to compare it to Postal Service or Death Cab for Cutie then it's a miserable fail of an album.

On another note it's really annoying when you discover music before it becomes mainstream, listened to Owl City alot in October and now that it's all over the radio it's reaaaaaaly annoying!! I was tired of Fireflies a while ago...I'm sick of it now!!

Also if people here think Owl Citys lyrics are poor - listen to Ndubz - the most ridiculous lyrics you'll ever here like "I'm on some CSI behaviour, who's gona save ya" "I can't help myself I love girls" & my personal favourite - " I've been searching all over facebook and I can't seem to find ya" It's soul destroying stuff!!!
    Completelyagree with you about everything here,
    Listened to Owl City months ago and everyone told me it was aload of crap not that its on the radios people say to me have you heard Fireflies its really good to which I respond I played this for you off my ipod and you said it was crap!!:mad:

Advertisement