Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term squad development

Options
  • 12-01-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

Now that my academy is up and running, I'm considering leaving a few of the better prospects in until they are 19.

Here's why: by all accounts the 'new' (two season old) academy system trains players pretty intensively. Given the need to maintain a squad of 20+ quality players, a team needs to pop about 1.5 17yo trainees each year. These trainees would receive an average of 4/5 sessions until they are 19, and very little thereafter.

Instead, why not leave two trainees in the academy each year until they are about to turn 20? They might not be quite as strong as players who were in the senior team for the 3 years, but they will now get the individual training from age 20-23.

The only downside that I can see is that they will be starting out with non-existent experience, but this will even itself out, and they should have significantly better skills by the time they turn 24-25.

Anybody see any holes in this idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

I believe that a youth player can only get to a certain standard in the Academy.

You will have a much better player aged 19 if you take them out early at 17 and train them, however lightly.

Plus the training that you give the players from 20 to 23 years of age is nothing like the progress they make when you train them from 17 to 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

jprender wrote: »
    I believe that a youth player can only get to a certain standard in the Academy.
    There may be a skill cap, but it's not significant - people have reported pulls with princely skills.
    You will have a much better player aged 19 if you take them out early at 17 and train them, however lightly.
    This is the thing - I've never seen evidence to support this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I'm currently in the start/middle of my long term development!

I'm in Div.IV, I had got a really nice team together. I got to round 7 in the cup, beating a few high ranking teams in the process. The problem as i saw it however was that there was a team in the same div, with a much much better team(unsustainable IMO) and to be honest I didn't fancy hanging around in the lower divisions.
    So i figured i needed a plan, success comes from good players, but that also needs to be sustainable financially! Seeing how ridiculously easy it was to beat the pc controlled teams and considering there were only 3 user controlled teams in the league.

Sold off all my players changing them for 18k-30k salary players instead, although I held onto two players(the best prospects) to train them up and sell them on.(might keep one as he's going up by 500 csr/week + great stats)
    Am making a cool 60k every week i don't have a home game and 120k+ the weeks i do.
    The goal is to have around 70+k a week coming in on interest i'm only on 11k right now so it's gonna be a couple more months b4 i get there. When i do however, i should be in a position to take on each division as it comes at me and win!

What do ye make of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

This is an oddly confusing thread, but on a topic I've been recently considering... is it possible to leave young players in a good academy and hope they come out match fit?
    I'm currently in a position where I can't do all the training I need and the extra training slots I'd have to spend on the young pups would take away from the steady development of my current team, though I haven't set up my academy yet so I'm going to have to wait the 8 weeks plus anyway, so, maybe it'll be alright by then.

Effluo I've no idea how you're doing what you're doing. I've no players above 20k (and only one that high) and I'm still finding my average earnings without matches to be about -5k. The prices it costs for such 30k players is normally pretty massive, just wondering how you're doing it old boy.

Effluo I've no idea how you're doing what you're doing. I've no players above 20k (and only one that high) and I'm still finding my average earnings without matches to be about -5k. The prices it costs for such 30k players is normally pretty massive, just wondering how you're doing it old boy.

Sorry, i was dealing from the financial aspect of players. Their salaries ;)

I should have made that more clear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Plus the training that you give the players from 20 to 23 years of age is nothing like the progress they make when you train them from 17 to 20.

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Effluo wrote: »
    Sorry, i was dealing from the financial aspect of players. Their salaries ;)

I should have made that more clear!

Oh ok! For a second there I was wondering what magical button I had forgotten to press.

ffs just saw the new interest rates for season 8!!! 1% for lvl 3 :( BS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Effluo wrote: »
    ffs just saw the new interest rates for season 8!!! 1% for lvl 3 :( BS
    It's only going to get worse. The management have been pretty clear that they don't want people to gain an advantage by sitting on masses of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

It's only going to get worse. The management have been pretty clear that they don't want people to gain an advantage by sitting on masses of cash.

i'm hating them! its only now that I have a decent revenue stream and building up a small supply of cash. and NOW they take away the income form it!

(though they will say the rates are only following the international trend of rates...)

• Advertisement

I had no idea :(

Advertisement