Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the USAs days numbered?

Options
  • 12-01-2010 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

With China on the rise, their economy in tatters and two wars which are draining finances is America finished? Is this like a Roman empire situation of excess and exhaustion? On the one hand I think China could very well be the worlds next major superpower but on the other I'm skeptical. Their economic growth seems to be inflated as in I don't see it being sustainable long term. But it seems like the United States glory days, which peaked with the moon landing imo, are past. Also, why on earth are they in the middle east if its just about oil (I certainly don't think its for any humanitarian reasons but I'm asking what other advantages are there?), there is research into producing oil from biological sources, insects which excrete oil namely, why not pour money into this? Will the next century be characterized by a clash between "liberal" states and their "authoritarian" counterparts, west and east as the pundits would have it? Or is this too simplistic a prediction?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Hopefully they are, it will give us a rest from all the bashers and sceptics denigrating everything they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not dated, no. But we definitely made a tactical error when we abandoned our long held Capitalist principles to bailout the banks, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

But it seems like the United States glory days, which peaked with the moon landing imo, are past.

I'd be inclined to believe that the US peaked during the dot com bubble around 1999. The US isn't really doomed to decline it just seems they have reached a crossroads. While China may have superpower potential it is still an emerging economy and has a lot of work ahead before they become an advanced economy. The next stage from a US superpower would be a multi-polar political system or the new world order which has captured the imagination of conspiracy theorists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I wouldn't be too quick to write off the USA just yet - China might be a bubble that is slowly about to burst - seriously!

Have a read of the following news examples, I'd be interested to hear what others think:

1. Contrarian Investor Predicts Crash in China
    2. As China Rises, Fears Grow on Whether Boom Can Endure
    3. Is China the Next Enron?

I've also come across other European reports of us all putting our eggs so to speak, in Chinas basket too much.
    In relation to America - I suspect a bounce back of some kind will come sooner or later.
    Maybe not to such a great degree as before but at some level, things will get better for all trading partners with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

China as it currently is constituted is fundamentally unstable. There's only so much economic growth that it can experience before the growing middle classes begin to demand more freedoms. If the US manages to secure energy independence within the next 50 years (which I believe it can) it will continue to be the leading world power.

• Advertisement

Thats a good point. For a number of years now, China has been inching toward an internal crisis/turning point; during which the future of the country is going to be decided and theres going to be what is hopefully a huge working class revolt (preferably peaceful)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

KerranJast wrote: »
    China as it currently is constituted is fundamentally unstable. There's only so much economic growth that it can experience before the growing middle classes begin to demand more freedoms..
    I don't see why China can't drip-feed those same middle class those freedoms.
    Also, middle-class persons do not revolt, they have too much to loose.
    If your looking for revolution, turn to the poor.
    KerranJast wrote: »
    If the US manages to secure energy independence within the next 50 years (which I believe it can) it will continue to be the leading world power.
    What, with all their vested interests in oil? Looking at their energy consumption rates compared to the rest of the world, not to mention their city layouts, their heavily mechanized agriculture, id say we've a few more resource wars to go before they re-jigg their entire country for a greenie-pinko agenda.

If the USA (and the rest of the world to be honest) is to pick itself up again - it has to tackle one MAJOR problem.
    That of obtaining rare-earth elements.
    'China has already supplied the rest of the world with 90 per cent of its rare-earths'.

(See this article: HERE)

If they (and we) can cross that problem, the road to recovery will be a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 dub02

China has the fastest aging population in the world....an almost non existent social security system..and a one child policy...give it a few more years a uproar will take place...although the buzzword around china at the moment is "sustainable development" so It should be interesting to see how it plays out in the next 10 years...On a side note the World Expo in Shanghai is estimated to attract 70 millions visitors...up to 400k a day...Good thing the Porter House have a place at the Irish pavillion;)

dub02 wrote: »
    China has the fastest aging population in the world....an almost non existent social security system..and a one child policy...

Side note: I believe China is trying to do something about its one child policy. They already foresee problems in the future with this policy continuing.
    Something to do with not enough youth eventually to support the increasing ageing population that might overtake them in increasing numbers and further cause an added monetary strain.

• Advertisement

I think the government are beginning to "relax" that policy...but when have you ever known for them to ease up on anything...Its the men I pity..they reckon in the next 25 years the rate for men to women will be 140:100..bad enough them having small wieners..now they'll have no use for them:D I'd like to know the amount of abortions since 1979..i'd imagine its pretty big

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

dub02 wrote: »
    I think the government are beginning to "relax" that policy...but when have you ever known for them to ease up on anything...Its the men I pity..they reckon in the next 25 years the rate for men to women will be 140:100..bad enough them having small wieners..now they'll have no use for them:D I'd like to know the amount of abortions since 1979..i'd imagine its pretty big
    So ban abortions in China ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Biggins wrote: »
    They already foresee problems in the future with this policy continuing.

God help us all then. With 3 billion of them already their birth control policies are the only thing holding them back a little.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    God help us all then. With 3 billion of them already their birth control policies are the only thing holding them back a little.
    A certain person in Rome is probably just grateful they are not another huge growing religious sect.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

I do not think China will every be classed as a super power, yes they economy is booming but i think that because the population is so big that there is an awful lot of organizing that needs to be done to keep everybody alive and with jobs etc.

when you say the USA's days are numbered I think that you are in a way true that they will not be one dominant force against the likes of Russia for example in the cold war. I think that in the new rise in terrorism there will be a lot more of countries pulling together to stop it.

What we need is something like the EU, but on a wider scale that will make trade easier and there will be less want or need for wars

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Overature wrote: »
    I do not think China will every be classed as a super power, yes they economy is booming but i think that because the population is so big that there is an awful lot of organizing that needs to be done to keep everybody alive and with jobs etc.
    But there is also an awful lot of people to do the organising.

Victor wrote: »
    But there is also an awful lot of people to do the organising.
    Organisation is not China's biggest problem. I wouldn't even consider it a problem.

Dreischluchtendamm_hauptwall_2006.jpg

great_wall_of_china.jpg

they have Organization pretty figured out. Always have. And you have to hand it to them they're one of the oldest nations on earth. The Original Superpower.

I think this century is going to belong to the Asia's in particular China, but don't be fooled people although the stats are jaw dropping..there not necessarily true:confused:

The thing is, is China bent on Megalomania? Have they ever showed it? Everything I've ever seen and read and heard about China to me simply suggests they just want to be left relatively alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Overheal wrote: »
    The thing is, is China bent on Megalomania? Have they ever showed it? Everything I've ever seen and read and heard about China to me simply suggests they just want to be left relatively alone.

Despite being the most powerful nation on earth for around 25 of the last 30 centuries, they've never tried to conquer the world as far as I know. Even when their Ming era fleet sailed as far as south Africa, conquest wasn't something they cared about. I don't think they want to dominate the world, I just think they want to shield themselves from domination.

Anyway, I think the USA will be the most powerful nation in the world for a long time indeed, perhaps 100 more years, and it will remain among the top nations for its entire existence, however long that may be. It has room for well over a billion people, so long term growth isn't going to be hampered by space or food.

• Advertisement

Depends what you mean by Megalomania? China has nuclear weapons and is wedged between India and Russia both nuclear powers so in terms of military expansionism it looks like China is pretty limited by way of a nuclear deterrent but of course there are other ways it could swing its weight around for all the wrong reasons. Nevertheless as you say the Chinese short and probably medium term strategy is largely inward focused in terms of politics. China is certainly in no rush to exert external political influence even when the West encouraged it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So China supports Pakistan and Burma. India is now surrounded.

Victor wrote: »
    So China supports Pakistan and Burma. India is now surrounded.

Could happen, my point is that there are a fair few regional emerging economies which individually could not stand up to China but together would offer a fairer match. I was getting at the point I made earlier that we might go through a multi polar phase in international politics. At least that is what Obama has seemed to hint at early in his presidency although US-Chinese relations seem to be talking a turn for worse because of climate change and protectionist tariffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I agree that the unipolar position of the US is coming to a end. Interesting article by Chris Layne here on the subject if anyone is interested:

http://belfercenter.ksg.harvard.edu/files/is3102_pp007-041_layne.pdf

I'm not sure whether or not China will come to dominate the system as a whole. First it will have to try to dominate Asia but it will have its work cut out there. South Korea and Japan are tied to the US and I'm sure Russia and India will have something to say on the subject as its their backyard too.

China are always banging on about how they are anti-hegemonic but if you follow the logic of realism, every state in the world will want to control as much power as possible because it makes you top dog. It comes down to how much power China wants, which we don't know.

I think we may see a return to multipolarity. You got the US and China but you also have Brazil, Russia, India and the EU if it gets its act on foreign policy together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Regardless of China's strength/supposed strength, i think the USA is on the brink of collapse.
    I hope i'm wrong, as there is so much i love about that country; and feel it and it's constitution, when properly followed, have so much to teach the world.
    I believe that the seeds of its downfall were sown long ago; there is nothing Obama, or anyone else, can do, to stop the inevitable.
    It seems to me that it is a 'superpower' pumped up on ideological hubris, with nothing to back it up; the Iraq war was a fatal mistake and the ultimate unveiling to the the world that the 'emporer has no clothes'.
    I doubt the USA, as we know it, will see out this decade.
    As i said, i hope i'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

In the interests of fostering actual Political discussion as opposed to pseudo reactionary rhetoric, can anyone tell me specifically what aspects of the US's policy will lead to this downfall and in what way they'll manifest?

For instance, if the USA changed or relaxed immigration laws, it would cease to be "The USA as we know it".

If you're going to predict an apocalyptic fall of society in the politics forum, you can at least try and dress it up as being roughly on topic for the forum.

Presuming that's aimed at me, to go into the specifics that underlay my opinion would take a long time; anyway, as i said, it's just an opinion.
    I see that the question of immigration is pressing on your mind; if i were to elaborate on the reasons for my, quite likely erroneous conclusion, immigration wouldn't play a big part.
    Like i said, that's my reading of the situation (at a late hour, while drunk); and, like i said, i look forward to being proven wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

ascanbe wrote: »
    Presuming that's aimed at me
    No, the thread in general.
    to go into the specifics that underlay my opinion would take a long time; anyway, as i said, it's just an opinion.

OK, I appreciate it's just an opinion and that to elaborate would take time, but this is a Politics discussion forum and it's cool if we can, ya know, discuss the issues... makes it easier if we know what we're discussion, specifically.
    I see that the question of immigration is pressing on your mind; if i were to elaborate on the reasons for my, quite likely erroneous conclusion, immigration wouldn't play a big part.
    Oh not at all, I picked an example out of the air, there was no particular reason, I could have just as easily said healthcare...
    Like i said, that's my reading of the situation (at a late hour, while drunk); and, like i said, i look forward to being proven wrong.
    You can only be proven wrong if you actually tell us what you think will or won't happen.

It's kinda like me saying... "Stuff will happen... prove me wrong folks".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I think we are going to see an increase in balancing behaviour. The nature of balancing is changing. Traditionally hard balancing is seen as using military means to balance another states power. Even though the US is in Iraq and Afghanistan at the moment I still don't think they can be matched militarily.

Now we have soft balancing, its more the use of diplomacy and economics to balance another state's power. Its not as overt as hard balancing. Middle Eastern oil is peaking but a lot of new big oil finds are coming out of Africa. China is in the process of sowing up this oil which in the longterm could undermine US energy security and its position in the world.

Diplomatically China and Africa are cosying up to each other. Some say China's relationship with Africa is why the US Africa Command is based in Germany and not in Africa. Many African countries won't host US troops and bases. This limits US power projection capabilites.

These are only small things but their effects (and effects of similar acts) will all add up over time. Thats the point of soft balancing. The US is not going to lose its superpower status anytime in the near future.

• Advertisement

GuanYin wrote: »
    No, the thread in general.

OK, I appreciate it's just an opinion and that to elaborate would take time, but this is a Politics discussion forum and it's cool if we can, ya know, discuss the issues... makes it easier if we know what we're discussion, specifically.

Oh not at all, I picked an example out of the air, there was no particular reason, I could have just as easily said healthcare...

You can only be proven wrong if you actually tell us what you think will or won't happen.

It's kinda like me saying... "Stuff will happen... prove me wrong folks".

Fair enough; i can't disagree with any of the points you made.
    I shall return; if what i wrote tonight stands up to scrunity from my sober self.
    I hope that it doesn't; otherwise, i'll have to rack my brain for the reasons i wrote it , in order to back it up. :D

Advertisement