Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car hire in Ireland- unbelievably inexpensive.

• 12-01-2010 3:30pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've rented a car today, for 6 days. A Mondeo TDCI, all inclusive.

I thought it was very good value. €135!!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

From who?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I don't want to advertise, nor do I work or have any connection with them.

Can pm you if you wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Can pm you if you wish.

Yes please, my car is sick and I may have to rent one in soon. thnaks.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Very quiet time now though. They will have cars lined up doing nothing.
    Great price though.
    You wouldnt cover repayments, tax, insurance & maintenance on a new mondeo for that kind of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I've rented a car today, for 6 days. A Mondeo TDCI, all inclusive.

I thought it was very good value. €135!!! :D

Now if only they would remove the rob me stickers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mickdw wrote: »
    Very quiet time now though. They will have cars lined up doing nothing.
    Great price though.
    You wouldnt cover repayments, tax, insurance & maintenance on a new mondeo for that kind of money
    The OP will have to insure it, but still. I wonder how much of a discount you'd get for 52 weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Anan1 wrote: »
    The OP will have to insure it, but still. I wonder how much of a discount you'd get for 52 weeks?

It would work out more expensive than owning. Short term rental cars are VRT exempt and you can't have them for more than 28 days (or the full VRT has to be paid).

Long term hire cars have to have VRT paid.

Wish I could get a Mondeo for 6 days @ 22.50 a day! Our corporate rate is quite a bit higher than that and inlcudes nothing (ex. VAT & insurances).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

25 Euro to rent out a VW golf for 3 days on budget :eek: Too bad im only 19 and u gotta be 23 to rent argh :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Can pm you if you wish.

Feel free to post the name if you want and if you've no connection to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

eoin wrote: »

yes please OP ... otherwise we will all be bombarding you with PMs :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Not a bad price at all. I rented a Dodge Charger in the states for 32 days with unlimited mileage, free full tank of gas, all the insurance for 700e.
    ...but the free full tank of gas only got you as far as the first petrol station :D
    Seriously though - a proper one or one from the 80s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

was also looking at irish rental cars for easter.

9.50 a day or something for a nisan micra!
    I dunno if its big enough with all the luggage but at that price i'd suffer it!

(to temper the joy, the same car in the summer is 30 euro a day though so will drive from germany instead as that really adds up over a month)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

eoin wrote: »

Dear Henry

Promised to travel more in the New Year?

Take advantage of ArgusCarHire.com's January sale prices and get up to 20% off European and international car hire rates.

Sale ends January 31st 2010.
    BOOK NOW while availability lasts!

Kind Regards

The Argus Team

R.O.R wrote: »
    It would work out more expensive than owning. Short term rental cars are VRT exempt and you can't have them for more than 28 days (or the full VRT has to be paid).

Long term hire cars have to have VRT paid.

Wish I could get a Mondeo for 6 days @ 22.50 a day! Our corporate rate is quite a bit higher than that and inlcudes nothing (ex. VAT & insurances).

A relative of mine used to rent a car for 4 months each year as he came from usa for long holiday around christmas. He always just got a normal hire car. The company would just come with a different hire car every 4 weeks. No issues!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Do all car hire companies require two years of full licence ? Wont be able to rent on for a while yet if so. is it the same around the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

I have never rented in Ireland. Can you transfer your own insurance to Irish hire cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

25 Euro to rent out a VW golf for 3 days on budget :eek: Too bad im only 19 and u gotta be 23 to rent argh :mad:
    Budget are sneaky though. There's a €28 'airport surcharge', or a €28 'city' surcharge depending on where you collect the car. You can collect the car surcharge free from Killarney though :rolleyes:.

<Awaits details of 'Killarney surcharge'>

Update.

Due to high demand my Mondeo wasn't available for the first few days, so I got a Nissan Tiida automatic instead :D

The Mondeo was a 1.8TDCI basic model, 08, and was a little loud and laggy, but still felt tremendous after the other thing.

I walked a lot for those few days :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Do all car hire companies require two years of full licence ? Wont be able to rent on for a while yet if so. is it the same around the world?
    In Ireland Enterprise just require a full licence. Its the only company I know of. You have to be over 25 though to rent.

Hertz require 1 year of a licence (also national i think).

Budget, Europcar, Sixt and a most others are 2 years.

Because obviously HAVING a licence for 2 years (whether or not you dont drive a minute during it) makes you a better driver.

In Germany the only company I could find that allows rental on a fresh licence was Sixt. All others wanted you to sit on your licence for a few years (to hatch?) before allowing you to rent.
    Dunno about other countries

Back on Topic.
    Have an Astra from Enterprise in Cork for the Easter break for a measly 13Euro a day!
    (BTW: Its 2 week+ rental so cheaper than a shorter term rent it seems)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

mickdw wrote: »
    A relative of mine used to rent a car for 4 months each year as he came from usa for long holiday around christmas. He always just got a normal hire car. The company would just come with a different hire car every 4 weeks. No issues!

The reason why they would swap his cars every 4 weeks was because they had him in a non-VRT car. They couldnt leave him in it any longer. I'd guess that the rental company didnt have a VRT car to give him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The reason why they would swap his cars every 4 weeks was because they had him in a non-VRT car. They couldnt leave him in it any longer. I'd guess that the rental company didnt have a VRT car to give him.

They are also not supposed to do that. It's technically not allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Why do hire companies here not hire their cars out with insurance included? This whole transfer your own insurance lark does not work for me as I would not have fully comp to begin with and my insurance company would not arrange such cover. Why is it assumed you have insurance elsewhere?

When I go anywhere in the world the quoted rate does include the insurance, why is Ireland different?

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Why do hire companies here not hire their cars out with insurance included? This whole transfer your own insurance lark does not work for me as I would not have fully comp to begin with and my insurance company would not arrange such cover. Why is it assumed you have insurance elsewhere?

When I go anywhere in the world the quoted rate does include the insurance, why is Ireland different?

They commonly hire cars with basic cover meaning you have to pay an excess if you damage it or alternatively, you can take out full cover meaning you can hand it back on its roof and you still pay no extra. I didnt know that they offered the use of your own insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭MarkN

Probably because it's so expensive here it's doesn't make economic sense for them to buy a big policy that covers people - particularly young people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I have a full size 4 door rented this Sat @ 9am from Budget until Sun @ 7pm for €17.50.
    Although it looks cheap, as a poster said, I think there is an "airport tax" of €20 odd. (I'm picking up from an airport)
    So thats €37.50 for less than 48 hours. Fuel tank deposit could be another one.
    Still, less than €20 per day is still cheap.

MarkN wrote:
    Probably because it's so expensive here it's doesn't make economic sense for them to buy a big policy that covers people - particularly young people.
    I assume they must have such a policy as I doubt any of our American visitors would be asked to transfer their insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I hired a zafaria from enterprise before christmas, they covered it on there policy there was a €1,000 excess or wou could buy insurance on the excess for €12 a day i think that brought it down to €350

R.O.R wrote: »
    They are also not supposed to do that. It's technically not allowed.

Meh. Who needs rules when your in the Motor trade..;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I assume they must have such a policy as I doubt any of our American visitors would be asked to transfer their insurance.

I think American Credit Cards have some kind of inbuilt insurance policy when hiring rental cars, can't remember for sure where I heard that so not 100%

I've used argus to book a car before christmas in spain and have another booked through them for next week in portugal. Excellent prices and recommended even though it will be a local company providing the car.
    I'd recommend the annual insurance that covers car hire insurance excess for a year from www.insurance4carhire.com the only real catch is that you have to hire the car at least 150km away from your normal place of residence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

kbannon wrote: »
    ...but the free full tank of gas only got you as far as the first petrol station :D

A 'proper one' wouldn't have been built in the 80's, nor much of the 70's for that matter!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    A 'proper one' wouldn't have been built in the 80's, nor much of the 70's for that matter!
    read my post again please - I never said that proper ones were built in the '80s!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

read my post again please - I never said that proper ones were built in the '80s!

No - you said:
    a proper one or one from the 80s?

Sarcasm? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

A question I have regarding car hire:

If I go to the hertz website I get their standard quote.
    However if I go through the ryanair/aerlingus I get their reduced 'partner' rate.

I cant find anything on the Ts & Cs mentioning that I have to present a boarding pass or ticket with the airlines to avail of the reduced rate.

Can someone confirm if this is ok just to book through the partner site without being a customer of that partner?

thanks

eg: hertz - Alfa 159 = €197 for week
    Aerlingus / Herts - same car = €152

Nothing a thing wrong doing that, except you will be hit for the airport pick up tax.

I've just got another rent a car!

It's a Mondeo 1.6 base model. 08 reg. Tbh I thought it would be hopelessly underpowered, and it's certainly not in any way rapid, but it's smooth and quiet, and delivers it's limited power in a much more linear way than the 1.8 TDCI. It's a decent enough car.

Watch out for tomorrow's instalment! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

I rented an 08 Golf yesterday for €13.43 per day. Same car with the same company in Bray was charging me €21 per day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Just had a look at Budget. Could get a Mondeo for 3 days for €29 + €28 airport "surcharge" :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

cadaliac wrote: »
    I have a full size 4 door rented this Sat @ 9am from Budget until Sun @ 7pm for €17.50.
    Although it looks cheap, as a poster said, I think there is an "airport tax" of €20 odd. (I'm picking up from an airport)
    So thats €37.50 for less than 48 hours. Fuel tank deposit could be another one.
    Still, less than €20 per day is still cheap.

The car ended up costing me €68 in total for the 2 days.
    €17.50 for the car
    €28 for the Airport tax
    €20 for full insurance
    tot: - €65.50 - I have no idea where the extra €2.50 was added (or for what)
    When I collected the car, I was prepared for the extra 28 squid for the airport tax, but I "assumed" that the thing would be covered for insurance. It was, but I was liable for the first €1100 if any damages were encored. In fact, they told me that if the damage was only worth €100, I would still have to pay the €1100, regardless, so needless to say, I paid the extra 20 sheets for the full cover.
    The car was an Avensis (08) and no the throttle didn't stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

I just happened to seek a few quotes today for a car next week. One day (less than 24 hours) pick up and drop off at Kerry Airport. Cheapest €45 most expensive €58 for the smallest car available. Nuts...Going to drive down instead..I'd hoped to have it for around the €30 mark, obviously mistaken...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

As I will probably change car once every century, I've always fancied renting a car I'm interested in for the weekend but always reckoned they'd just give you whatever you had handy and you wouldn't be guaranteed to be able to pick what you want - is that the case? (Henry Ford, sounds like you got what you wanted more or less.)

• Advertisement

As I will probably change car once every century, I've always fancied renting a car I'm interested in for the weekend but always reckoned they'd just give you whatever you had handy and you wouldn't be guaranteed to be able to pick what you want - is that the case? (Henry Ford, sounds like you got what you wanted more or less.)

If you book in advance, you might get what you want as long as you specify it.

Alot of rental companies will only have the cheapest, basic model of each car - e.g. a 1.6 petrol Mondeo Style. If your after a 1.8TDCi Zetec, and want to see what it would be like, I'd say you'd be outta luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Avis do a guaranteed model range, I got an A4 2.0tdi last summer. They only have an x-trail at the moment though.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

Advertisement