Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection Problems - UPC

• 12-01-2010 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

We have UPC wireless broadband in the house and I can rarely connect to it, if ever. If I get connected, it will show a speed of 54 Mbps for a couple of minutes and then get slower and slower, until it is down to 1 Mbps before losing connection altogether. I then get the message 'Unable to connect to preferred wireless nrtworks'.

I never have a problem connecting anywhere else and I've tried messing around with settings and firewalls. I also can't get my PS3 to connect to it. However, my housemates rarely have any problems with it, just me. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

As far as i know UPS does not offer 54Mb access. i think what you are referring to is speed of your wireless adapter on your PC/laptop. It could be faulty. Try reinstalling it.
    To find out if its your wireless adapter connect your PC/laptop directly via Ethernet cable to UPC router and see what you get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

fullstop wrote: »
    We have UPC wireless broadband in the house and I can rarely connect to it, if ever. If I get connected, it will show a speed of 54 Mbps for a couple of minutes and then get slower and slower, until it is down to 1 Mbps before losing connection altogether. I then get the message 'Unable to connect to preferred wireless nrtworks'.

I never have a problem connecting anywhere else and I've tried messing around with settings and firewalls. I also can't get my PS3 to connect to it. However, my housemates rarely have any problems with it, just me. Any ideas?

Also you can try to logon to the router and change the Channel and also the SSID if left with default value like NETGEAR, etc.

Update drivers in the wireless card too, it could be the cause of the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭quiche

if you have a CISCO all in one crapfest, the handshaking takes ages, particularly on windows for some reason (linux seems a fair bit quicker).

reset your router often (just pull out the power, wait 15secs, put back in), should help somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

As far as i know UPS does not offer 54Mb access. i think what you are referring to is speed of your wireless adapter on your PC/laptop. It could be faulty. Try reinstalling it.
    To find out if its your wireless adapter connect your PC/laptop directly via Ethernet cable to UPC router and see what you get there.

Sorry I forgot to mention this, when I plug in the cable it works fine. But as I said, I can connect to any other wireless network I've tried without any problems

Sorry I forgot to mention this, when I plug in the cable it works fine. But as I said, I can connect to any other wireless network I've tried without any problems

Same was happening to me with my own wireless worked fine for months but last saturday without changing anything it would connect for about 10 min abut was dropping connection, so needed to reconnect it but same problem again, I upgraded my drivers for the wireless card and didn't have any problems since them.

• Advertisement

Comment about changing the channel is valid one. Without going too much into it if next door is using same channel you might have interference.
    If you know how to check what wireless networks and on what channels are around your house then change to channel that is not in use. If not just try changing to the next one and see if you see any improvements.
    BTW, when i run a scan i always see that people use 1, 7 and 11 for some reason so avoid those :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Then the problem is not with UPC or the broadband, it's with the wireless network. Wireless networks can suffer from interference and signal strength degrades with distance and objects (like walls) blocking the signal path.

Comment about changing the channel is valid one. Without going too much into it if next door is using same channel you might have interference.
    If you know how to check what wireless networks and on what channels are around your house then change to channel that is not in use. If not just try changing to the next one and see if you see any improvements.
    BTW, when i run a scan i always see that people use 1, 7 and 11 for some reason so avoid those :)

Sorry for my ignorance, but how do I do this?!

Sorry for my ignorance, but how do I do this?!

Give us the make and model of you router and we can try to help you.

download and install NetStumbler , run it and it will detect all wireless networks around you and tell you what channels are in use

You can find it at :

http://downloads.netstumbler.com/downloads/netstumblerinstaller_0_4_0.exe

• Advertisement

nava wrote: »

http://www.dcparts.com/images/netgear%20wireless%20router.jpg

Looks like the one in the link. That's the make anyway, not sure what model....will post that this evening if you need it. Thanks.

nava wrote: »

Netgear Wireless-G WGR614

Netgear Wireless-G WGR614

You need to access the Router menu, in most cases the URL will be 1 of the below

http://192.168.0.1/
    http://192.168.1.1/
    http://192.168.100.1/

User name: admin
    Password: password or 1234

Once in there you should see a menu on the left hand side one of them will be "Wireless Settings" or similar, in there you can change the Channel and also the SSID if stil have Netgear so won't conflict with any other router with the same SSID near you.

Also make sure you have setup some type of Security I know in the past UPC provided routers without any security at all.

Advertisement