Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT failure cos of reg plate???

• 12-01-2010 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

afternoon. My NCT is up at the end of the month for my motor and i see tat on the manual on the official website tat they check the small lights over the registration plates at the rear of the car. Now one of mine outta the 2 is currently blown or out or watever. So just wondering is this a reason for falling the test altogether or only something tat goes down as a warning to get it fixed??? As far as i can tell, and of course you can never fully wit there kinda things, the car is sound regardless and should pass. Its a 04 Ibiza wit four new tires too!! Thanks for any info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

not sure if you would fail, but if you did and that was the only reason you failed then you would not have to pay for a re-test because you need only show them that you have fixed the light and then they will pass you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I'd say it would depend how lucky you were with the tester you got.

It's a simple job to fix so why not just get the bulb and get it done now so you don't have it hanging over you.

Also (without meaning to lecture) remember that your car is meant to be fully functioning all the time, not just for the NCT test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Seems like a lot of messing for a ten minute (tops) bulb change to me, TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I failed because of a number plate light bulb. Quite rightly too, as I had stupidly forgotten to check. This is a visual retest, so no fee was required, but the simplest thing is to change the bulb before the test!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most number plate lights contain capsule bulbs which are cheap to buy and easy to replace. Done and dusted, why take the chance of failing for the sake of a bulb?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Anan1 wrote: »
    Seems like a lot of messing for a ten minute (tops) bulb change to me, TBH.

+1

Just pop a new bulb in. If you can't do it yourself Halfords will supply and fit. Any motor factors should too if you ask politely:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

School boy error failing on a blow bulb TBH.
    Checking oil & water levels as well as bulbs are the easiest thing to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The only thing that can throw a spanner in the works is if the heads of the screws holding the glass in are rusted, like they were on mine when I did it last. I got them out eventually, but replaced the screws as they probably wouldn't have survived another bulb replacement.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

School boy error failing on a blow bulb TBH.
    Checking oil & water levels as well as bulbs are the easiest thing to check.
    ...unless, like me, the bulb (dipped beam) was fine when checked outside and was died when switched on for the test!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JoeyTGK

would it be a easy job to do myself?? Ye're right about wasting my time if i have to in back in for a visual check. It is just case of unscrewing the plastic covering and inserting a new bulb??? Embarrassing if this that easy!

• Advertisement

JoeyTGK wrote: »
    would it be a easy job to do myself?? Ye're right about wasting my time if i have to in back in for a visual check. It is just case of unscrewing the plastic covering and inserting a new bulb??? Embarrassing if this that easy!

That's about it. Same fitting as my Leon. Literally a minute job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

"That" :p

I have seen them fail it for less. Personnaly though I wouldn't bother doing it. If they fail it it will just be a visual retest that will cost nothing and you can then go and get the bulb for it.

Rylan wrote: »
    Personnaly though I wouldn't bother doing it. If they fail it it will just be a visual retest that will cost nothing and you can then go and get the bulb for it.

He's got a few weeks to do it, a quick job will save him the bother and time of a retest...no wonder so many cars in this country are in sh1te if this is the standard of maintenance many use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JoeyTGK

Cheers peeps, gonna go to the local motor factors tomoro and buy a set and DIY it. Usually do take care of my car fairly well i have to say in my defence;)
    Have to say this boards.ie is the business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

kbannon wrote: »
    ...unless, like me, the bulb (dipped beam) was fine when checked outside and was died when switched on for the test!

I presumed I was the only person this could happen to! glad to see ive got company:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Would have changed the bulb in the time it took to start this thread...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

did the 'h' button do something to you?

Advertisement