Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 contract false advertisement

Options
  • 12-01-2010 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Need a bit of advice. I went into an o2 shop there back in early december looking to change to bill pay.

http://www.o2online.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/O2PricePlanView?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&phoneId=134004&flowType=P&wcmArea=
    o2priceplans.png
    (I was informed by customer service today that these are in fact the same thing.)

I wanted the the second one from the bottom. Clear unlimited o2 to o2. I made my choice based on what it says on that link. indicating free o2 to o2 calls and unlimited txts to all networks as it appears on that link. On i went to the o2 shop in The square and asked for that option and told there was no problem. I confirmed that txts to all networks were included. i was told yes.

now a month later i check my bill only to see that i am being charged for my txts to other networks. I contacted o2 asked to speak to a manager informed him of this showed him the link and the option. he says thats only o2 to o2 txts i draw his attention to the option above which clearly states unlimited txt to o2 where the option i chose clearly says unlimited. i told him this was confirmed to me by the shop assistant befor i signed up. I had all charges for txts to date removed (which u would think would indicate that he accepts some fault) however he informed me that i would be charged from now on. One of the main reasons i chose this plan was the free txts I said that i wanted my account canceled due to false advertisement and then this false advertisement being confirmed to me by one of their employees befor i ever signed a contract. I was told i was unable to cancel.

Basically im just asking is there anything i can do here? I left it saying i was going to contact my solicitor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Moved from Nets & Comms....probably get a better response here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

the plan is called Clear unlimited... "O2 to O2"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It does look misleading. It should state that Unlimited refers to O2 to O2 only, as the one above it does. Both plans have "O2 to O2" in the name, but only one of them specifies O2 to O2 in the unlimited texts. That would imply that the other one is not limited to O2 texts only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I would not say that page forms the basis for any contract.

However, this page would I think

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/About+O2/Terms+and+Conditions/VAT+explained/#Clear

Unlimited O2 to O2 shows no charge for texts sent to other Irish networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Agreed with jor_el, it does look misleading.

Granted both plans have "o2 to o2" in the name, but the text on the "inclusive texts" section would point the other way.

Given that you specifically asked a sales assistant this question, and had it confirmed to you, I think it's reasonable in this instance for you to have a case to cancel the contract.

However, this can all be superceded by what is written in the contract you signed. Start there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭tazire

the contract i signed taken directly from the copy i recieved says:

Pricing plan: 18UNLTD02

Now unless i was an o2 employee there is absolutly no way i could know wat is ment by that. I just have to take the employees word for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭tazire

A big thanks to all for the replies, esp penexpers for that link.

Basically the outcome was that due to having a subsidised phone I would have had to return I have decided to stay with them with a customised monthly bill which sorts out all my problems and then some.

Thanks again for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭j_lennon18

Great to see that O2 did the right thing in the end :) I noticed that they have already updated the first link you gave. Wont be long before they update the other link.

Advertisement