Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Look Keo cleats and foot pain

• 12-01-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys i am using Look Keo cleats and pedals on the bike. The problem im having is after about half a hour i am getting some pain at my feet arches.
    When i went for my last bike fit we set the cleats up using the camera and pc and i need to get some cleat wedges which i have ordered .
    So anybody got any advice on this or experienced this before and what did you do to sort it out.
    I had a quick look on the web im thinking that custom made insoles might help what do you think.

Con :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

Are the shoes new? - Sounds like the problem is more related to shoes/inner soles than pedals/cleats. Find a Specialized stockist - they (should) have a device for checking how high/low your arches are can then supply inners to match - they're about 25-30euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

im having a bit of bother with my new shoes as well

i got my bike fitted, including cleats by irishfit, but when i got my new shoes for christmas, i dodnt know if ive matched the cleats up

i get a cramp on the outside of my right foot, so bloody annoying,

i just cant seem to get pain free pedalling, even with my old shoes, my foot would sometimes go numb, yet when i cycle with just my runners on, im grand.....head wrecking, or should i say, foot wrecking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭robs1

i was having problems myself.but i found that iwas tightening my cycling shoe to tight and after about a half an hour or so i would get pains.it was down to my feet swelling from the exercise.simple problem was sorted simply by loosening my shoe during the ride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭jag con

Thanks for the advice lads

Rob yeah i tried that tonight on the turbo the first 20 mins i had the shoes the way i would nornally have them and i got the pain then i loosened the shoes and had them nice and loose but the same thing after 20 mins My nornal shoe size is 10 and Sidi reccomend a size 45.5 on there website but my Sidis are 47 so there should be plenty of room, I bought some new Sidis for the summer the other day and they are size 46 so im hoping my sizing will be ok.
    I have ordered some cleat wedges and a insole for my foot arch to see if this makes a difference.
    Has anybody done the Look Keo fit system that can be done in cyclesuperstore and is it worth it

I hope i can get this sorted because im really trying to get my weight down for April

Con

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

Haven't tried the Keo fit system but guess it might be worth a try. The only other thing I can think of about shoe comfort is that if you've just switched from a cheaper, more flexible soled shoe to one with a very stiff carbon sole then I think it can take a little while for your feet to get used to that very rigid platform even though it might be much better for power transfer - maybe there's a clue there in that if more of your power is going through the shoe to the pedal rather than some of it being absorbed by a more flexible shoe which in effect would be providing some cushioning for your foot. Just speculating but seems logical?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Hi, just resurrecting this thread as I am suffering from the exactsame issue..
    I'm using Keo pedals and cleats with Shimano r133 shoes which I bought lin April.
    After about an hour on the bike I get very sore arches and on longer spins my foot actually goes numb. When I stop cycling and take off the shoe the pain is intense and can last for a few hours... in fact my right foot is still sore from Sunday and its Wednesday now...!
    Think I'll pop into Cyclesuperstore (where I got the shoes etc) and ask them but not sure what they can do for me... this is becomming a major problem as I thought it was just a matter of getting used to the carbon shoes...
    Any ideas apart from wedges as per above...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

May or may not be related to what people are reporting in this thread but I've had issues in the past with my toes getting hot and/or going numb in my shoes. It only arose occasionally but always seemed to coincide with rides involving a lot of climbing and therefore a lot of stomping on pedals. Loosening the shoes alleviated the problem a little but did not eliminate it.

For a while there the problem seemed to have gone away but I recently bought a new pair of the same (Specialized BG) shoes and on the first spin the problem was far worse than ever. This time it was more like a stabbing pain right across the joints where my toes met my foot. It was worst in my smaller foot, suggesting that shoe size was not the problem. Once off the bike the pain faded away quickly but a few days later I put on my new shoes again and just stood upright in them and the same pain kicked in again instantly.

That suggested to me that the pain was muscular (and/or ligaments) rather than simply caused by momentary pressure, as such, so I reckoned that my foot was working overtime within the shoe to deal with the stresses being applied and was calling into play muscles/ligaments which hadn't been called upon much before. Wiggling my foot around outside of the shoe, and putting weight on it in various ways, showed that the same pain kicked in when I mimicked collapsing in on my arch. The standard arches in Specialized shoes are their minimal ones whereas my feet have relatively high arches. I bought new (Specialized) insoles with a higher arch and I've done 2 or 3 rides now with the same new shoes without any problems whatsoever.

I don't know for sure why the problem was worse with my newer shoes, which are basically the same design and have the same low-arched insoles as my older shoes. It could be that the newer design is subtly different in some way but it seems more likely that the stiffer sole on the new shoes amplified a problem that already existed. I've ignored the insoles of my cycling shoes for a long time, and I really shouldn't have. I now believe that well-fitting insoles are vital to the well-being of my feet and at 30-odd euro for the Specialized insoles they seem to be proving to be a relatively cheap solution to a long-running and nagging problem, so far anyway. I've not had to consider custom-made insoles so far, but I certainly would in the future if the stock insoles simply didn't work for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Thanks for the reply mate. I'll have to enquire about getting something for the shoes.. its a real pain in the .. foot now..

Thanks again...

Advertisement