Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belkin N Wireless Router connection problems

Options
  • 12-01-2010 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Bought Belkin N Wireless Router and my connection keeps going on and off grand for 5 minutes then goes off and on again. When I plug laptop directly into modem everything is grand but do not know what is the problem. I think it could be the channels that need tweaking on it. Broadband is NTL 20mb and download speed has also been affected was consistently pulling down 1 to 1.5mbps on usenet downloads now lucky to get half .
    Suggestions and solutions much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Try changing the wifi channel the router broadcasts on - type
    ipconfig /all
    at a command prompt, find IP address for 'default gateway', type this into your browser's address box.you may need to try some usernames/passwords, I don't have any belkin gear, but a google search should tell you, or documentation that came with it.

Some things can interfere with wifi routers, e.g. neighbours router,cordless phone,microwave, video sender

Try different locations for the router/laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I used to have the same router and bb connection as yourself, if you plug your laptop directly router and the performance doesn't suck it's your wireless signal thats causing it.

What I would do next is install netstumbler onto the system and go a check around for other wireless devices in the area and check what channels they are on.

If they are all talking over the either 7 or 12 change your channel to 12 or 13 instead.

Within usenext itself open up the client go into settings you have a option to specify your speeds set it to match your connection speed.

Also what type of wireless nic do you have installed in your laptop?
    Look at the drivers for it as well and upgrade them to the latest version on the manufacturer site don't use the default OS drivers.

Also do a quick speedtest www.speedtest.net

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I too also bought the exact same router and I am about to pack it back up in the box and murder someone in PC World over it.

Laptop will pick up the signal no problem but will not connect.

Yesterday for some reason it decided to connect. I thought it was fixed but this morning nothing. The signal is there but wont connect.

I also agree with the OP - I have signed up for 7mb package and speedtest.net returned 1.5mb.

I have never had so much trouble with a wireless router. My last one a BT one was great. Plug it in, set up your internet account from ISP and then configure the settings on your laptop ie input the WEP key and away you go.

I have had this Belkin for one week now and spent the whole weekend trying to get it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Ok so got home switched on the router and the laptop.

Wireless connected ok - surprise surprise.

So I changed the SSID (Network ID) and the channel to 2. Applied the settings.

Logged Off and back on and Wireless picked up the new SSID no problem.

Selected my new SSID network and entered my new WPA code.

Laptop connected no problem straight away and I even got my new balloon prompt to tell me I was connected which wasnt happening before.

Thanks guys for your advice.

Advertisement