Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belfast city marathon May 3rd

• 12-01-2010 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

Anyone else running this year, signed up last week in moment of madness .
    Good news Expo(so called) has moved back to the city this year so no 30 mins bus ride to pick up your number.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

I`m signed up too!!
    I didn`t like it last yr so maybe this yr will be different...
    maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Magnet wrote: »
    I`m signed up too!!
    maybe

Yep me too, might actually make it to the pub after this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Fortrath

I haven't entered yet, but am certainly thinking about it... I have booked hotel room in case. Can cancel at no cost with appropriate notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Im in too.

I`m signed up too!!
    maybe

Looking to go close to the 3hour mark in belfast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I was plannin on doing it but i am going back to korea next month so i cant do it now.....lookin to do one in korea in october instead cos their summers are too humid to do one there

shels4ever wrote: »
    Looking to go close to the 3hour mark in belfast?

Well because of the damn ice and snow Im not gonna plan anything just yet. I was signed up for the ConnemaraUltra but I may not be fit enough so might change to the Half there and concentrate on Belfast..
    If I do it that way Im going all out guns blazing...

Either way I`ll be in the same hotel as last yr cos it was the business and if its good enough for John Mutai its good enough for me..:D

See you there!

How is everyoe's training going for this at the moment.
    Im enjoying mine, but still trying how fast/slow to run on my longer runs.
    It's all I can think about all day long (it will hopefully be my first marathon).
    And I nearly have to hold myself back from going out and doing extra training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 happy28

just signed up.........
    It doesn't seem like the most popular marathon on boards
    but woud ike do do a marathon early in summer...
    Whats the course like? Many Hills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

happy28 wrote: »
    just signed up.........
    It doesn't seem like the most popular marathon on boards
    but woud ike do do a marathon early in summer...
    Whats the course like? Many Hills?

Elevation info from last years. Should give you an idea of where the hills are. Its not that bad really. I liked the course except a few miles of it. Windy down by the sea and a bit dull on the stretch beside the airport. Coming near the end you run into a park and can hear the finish. Its a bit disappointing when you have to exit the park to road where there isn't much support but knowing that beforehand is good. Last mile had lots of support. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 skater1

Hi guys,
    Im looking for a hotel recommendation for the Belfast Marathon. Ideally somewhere within walking distance of the start (City Hall as far as I know)

Also, I wont be able to stay the night after so would need a hotel with a gym/pool... ie somewhere with facilities to take a shower after the race. Fellow train passengers dont need a sweaty betty sitting beside them on the journey home!
    Thanks

skater1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Im looking for a hotel recommendation for the Belfast Marathon. Ideally somewhere within walking distance of the start (City Hall as far as I know)

Also, I wont be able to stay the night after so would need a hotel with a gym/pool... ie somewhere with facilities to take a shower after the race. Fellow train passengers dont need a sweaty betty sitting beside them on the journey home!
    Thanks

I stayed in the premier inn last year, 2 mins walk from the start and they are flexible in regards showers after , but no pool there.
    If its good enough for the Kenyans its good enough for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Alfonz

Anyone know if there are pace makers in this one?

thanks misty floyd for elevation graph
    The premier inn is now booked out.
    I booked jurys inn was £79 incuding breakfast and I can cancel or reschedule up tp 2pm on sunday......good in case of injury
    The a few other hotels close to city hall Park view was cheeper but didn't incude breakfast

Alfonz wrote: »
    Anyone know if there are pace makers in this one?

Just saw this on offical website
    "For participants who wish to complete the marathon in three hours, 3.5 hours, four hours and 4.5 hours, you can sign up at the Expo and Pack Collection at the City Hall the weekend before race day at the Athletics NI stand. There will be two pacers per time and each pacer will be able to take 50 participants. spaces will be allocated on a first come first serve basis"

50 max seems bit mean but I guess they can't stop us following the group....

I know there's a couple from here doing this.
    How is everyone feeling ahead of the run next week.
    Hopefully by this time next week Ill have completed my first Marathon.

I`m doing this with my friend and at her pace so I`ll be in around 3:50!!
    Can`t wait for the beerfest after! :D Any bar suggestions....?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

I know there's a couple from here doing this.
    How is everyone feeling ahead of the run next week.
    Hopefully by this time next week Ill have completed my first Marathon.

There is 10 of us going up for the relay. Looking forward to it but looking forward to the piss up even more. Might even enjoy a few on the sunday night. Good luck to all run the full Marathon. Keep an eye out ill be wearing my boards singlet .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

It will be afternoon by the time I get to the expo .Is anyone meeting up for a meal or anything the night before? Must familiarize myself with what the boards,ie tops look like:)
    See you there folks. I will be just doing a slow training run so if anyone down the back is looking for company....say hello

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I`m doing this with my friend and at her pace so I`ll be in around 3:50!!
    Can`t wait for the beerfest after! :D Any bar suggestions....?

If the weather is good, then I can definitely suggest what I did a couple of years ago, From the finish line, get back onto the Ormeau Road to the Erigle Pub on the crossorads, sit outside with a pint and cheer on people with only a couple of miles to go. After a couple of beers, head here

http://www.viewbelfast.co.uk/restaurants/cutters-wharf-review-40554.html

The Cutters Wharf, about 15-20 mins walk away. It has a brilliant beer garden the hangs over the river and on a Sunny day, you can relax and watch the boaters go by. It was jammed last time, because the weather was brilliant, but the atmosphere was electric, and they serve food there too. The place was drank dry of Cider, and yes, I helps to drink it dry, ;)

Best of luck to everyone doing it this year, I'm getting itchy feet and wished I signed up for this and Cork again this year. I'll make up for it by the end of the year though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

just got back. finished today with 4 hours 20 minutes. absolute nightmare

Finished my first marathon on 3 hrs 53 mins.
    Delighted with it. Especially after suffering a calf injury 3 weeks ago and missing 7-10 days training, as advised by lots, the rest probably benefited me.

Well done to all who took part.

did you get a medal? I didnt. I was well p.issed off

Yea, got one just after they took the chip.

scumbags

you should email them or phone them Im sure they can post out medal to you!!
    I happy got a PB (by 20 mins) 3hr59m lost 4 hour pacers after I had to use portaloo didnt bother catching as the were going a bit fast.
    Had to stop for few mins at 25 milles and take off shoes and socks my toe nails sitting on bisters and socks coveres in bood :eek:
    Still v.happy got proper t-shirt but im a size 8-10 and id say small is 12-14
    The cups of water a joke i had to stop if wanted to drink water I thought after all complants they might have learned....
    Stil needs to be more space/seperation for poor tired marathon runners 22-24 miles were hard when relay runners not considerate.
    Goddie bag a joke! a packet of crisps at end of 26 miles????
    Good supportive crowds made effort to cheer onn the fulls!
    Overall I'm happy but still room for improvement:):):)

Goody, awesome time with all the injured feet. Well done to you.
    I thought the goody bag was non existent until I accidently found my way to the tents at the back where there was endless tea coffee drinks and cans and biscuits and sandwiches , chocolates etc in a warm place. There was also burgers and chips and donuts and other stuff for sale too.
    I thought it was a disgrace for river rock to be the main title holders when all they provided was a bottle of water at the expo and one afterwards. Dont know what my time was yet but I do like the medal. Go ask for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭umpire bat

Its becoming an increasingly pointless exercise applauding and encouraging people in trance land with their ipods. Surely one of the attractions of mass participation events is interacting with other runners and supporters. I pittied the young cheerleaders and the band who were positioned near the "Pumphouse" in docklands. The whiff was vile. All in all BCM is a good event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

paky wrote: »
    did you get a medal? I didnt. I was well p.issed off

They'll send you out a medal if you contact them. Last year, they got some of the medals mixed up and they gave me a walker medal. Didnt realise till I got home. I sent them a mail and they posted out the proper medal to me, so it shouldnt be a problem. ;)

• Advertisement

umpire bat wrote: »
    Its becoming an increasingly pointless exercise applauding and encouraging people in trance land with their ipods. Surely one of the attractions of mass participation events is interacting with other runners and supporters. I pittied the young cheerleaders and the band who were positioned near the "Pumphouse" in docklands. The whiff was vile. All in all BCM is a good event.

I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I positioned myself at mile 25 before the water station to shout encouragement. I really enjoyed it anyway. My girlfriend thought I was nuts but I was walking/dying at that point last year and I swore I'd go back to help cheer people on.

The people listening to ipods were also getting into the atmosphere of the day. I was surprised with the amount of people using them all the same.

Well done everyone.

Anyone got any idea when the results/photos will be available?

iN RESPONSE TO uMPIRE BAT ( DONT KNOW WHY IT DIDNT POST UP ABOVE)

I think this is a bit unfair. I had my ipod in my pocket for the first 10 miles.There were lots of supporters on the street but they werent vocal or cheering. In Lots of marathons this is common enough cos people dont know what to do and are embarrassed to cheer and clap when non one around them is doing it. Or else they only chher their own people.

I tried to strike up chat with a few runners, after a discussion on a different thread about how much you are supposed to miss out when wearing an ipod, but none of them were bothered so in the end I decided to put ipod on. I didnt have it on for the last 8 miles and I think the "trance "is concentration trying to get one foot in front of the other to the finish. It is too easy to blame others lack of whatever..if they happen to have earphones in.
    It was great to have the shower afterwards but I almost missed the food because there was no one or no signs to tell you where they were.

I enjoyed this but you have to wonder about River Rock sponsorship. A water company...and instead of river rock water you get water filled from basins filled at the mains!!!

Nice medals too. Well done all who took part.

:cool:Sneaky way to check your time:cool:
    results still not up but photos are
    www.marathon-photos.com
    type in your number
    If you click on race time photo it has chip time :)
    I got 3.59.40 scraped under 4 by skin of my teeth :)
    I cant believe i missed al the free grub.
    I gona e-mail organizers I would happily pay extra £10-20 if it meant we got water bottles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

Did anyone see the aul drunk fella sitting in the shankhill roaring abuse at us running past haha "u've over 4 hours to go aghhhhhhh" while he drank a can of guinness,good job it was'nt at the stretch after 17 miles or my humour may not have been the same

• Advertisement

martic wrote: »
    Did anyone see the aul drunk fella sitting in the shankhill roaring abuse at us running past haha "u've over 4 hours to go aghhhhhhh" while he drank a can of guinness,good job it was'nt at the stretch after 17 miles or my humour may not have been the same

lol

Anyone hear how Maria McCambridge is after ? Seems to have a very hard time over the later part of the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Anyone hear how Maria McCambridge is after ? Seems to have a very hard time over the later part of the race.

Looks like maria had a very bad day............

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/belfast-marathon-2010-results-14792022.html

2:58

tunguska wrote: »
    Yep. didnt look too bad when she passed by 16 miles or so , looked to be @ around 2:45 pace or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭aero2k

Not that unusual at the top level. DCM '08 1st lady was about 30 min slower in '09. OLympic champion lady struggled in London this year. There are other examples but I can't think of them now...

• Advertisement

Yep. didnt look too bad when she passed by 16 miles or so , looked to be @ around 2:45 pace or so.

Wonder what happened? I mean Maria is a 2:35 marathoner so 2:58 constitutes a colossal blow up.

Wonder what happened? I mean Maria is a 2:35 marathoner so 2:58 constitutes a colossal blow up.

Yep bad day in the office, but she did finish and fingers cross no major injury. She was still leading at 16/17 miles but only by a few seconds so not sure what happened.

Yep bad day in the office, but she did finish and fingers cross no major injury. She was still leading at 16/17 miles but only by a few seconds so not sure what happened.

Were you racing shels, or just a spectator for the day?
    That picture of Maria collapsing on top of gary crossan is very distressing. Real nice lady, horrible to see her in such a bad way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Bencon

In the photo that is Maria McCambridges husband, Gary Crossan holding her up. He is former national marathon champion. He finished same time as her so at least she had someone to look after her on the way round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

Did my first marathon in Belfast and was very happy with a 4 hour finish.

Ran with the 4-hour pacers until half-way and, foolishly feeling good at that stage, pushed on ahead of them a bit. Needless to say, they caught and passed me at 22 :o, but they must have come in well under 'cos I still managed 4 even. Was delighted.
    The cups of water a joke i had to stop if wanted to drink water I thought after all complants they might have learned....
    Stil needs to be more space/seperation for poor tired marathon runners 22-24 miles were hard when relay runners not considerate.

I don't mind cups of water myself. Hal Higdon advises people to stop to drink water (which I did) - it gives you a break and you get all the water down. Was delighted they were giving out powerade from half-way on too. Wasn't going to take it but when I did my body said - whoa! what's that stuff! Give me more of that!

Also, a friend sprained his ankle on a water bottle in Dublin last year at 6 miles, and ran the last 20 like that :eek:

Having being involved in organising an 8K myself, cups mean much less of an area to clean up afterwards too.
    Goddie bag a joke! a packet of crisps at end of 26 miles????
    I thought the goody bag was non existent until I accidently found my way to the tents at the back where there was endless tea coffee drinks and cans and biscuits and sandwiches , chocolates etc in a warm place. There was also burgers and chips and donuts and other stuff for sale too.

I missed all that! All I saw was the packet of crisps at the end as well. I liked the idea of a massage at the end though - even though I didn't have time to queue up for one.

The one thing that annoyed me was the protesters on the falls - obviously nothing that the organisers could have done about that. Keep politics out of sport is right.

Overall I was very happy with the event. And for £30 you can't beat it for value.

Advertisement