Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golden Boot WC 2010

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Didnt Ronaldo win it with brazil?

Sorry... i dont really understand what you are asking here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

inforfun wrote: »
    In tournaments like the WC there is always this freak game with a high score in which 1 player score 3 or 4
    Any other examples apart from the aforementioned Salenko? I can't think of any others, let alone one in each of the WCs I've been alive for.

I wouldn't go near Holland - as has been said, they share goals around a bit and the OP was looking to bet now which means it'd be a big risk to go for RVP on the basis that he'll be fully fit and firing. Plus their tough group could go either way.

I think Klose (25s) and Robinho (33s) are good each way bets, with any of the French forwards looking tempting as well because of their easy-ish group (South Africa as first seeds :eek:). Probably Henry (28s). Eto'o at 33s could be tempting either - same group as Holland but it's better than the Ivory Coast's group if you're looking at African sides who could 'pull a South Korea'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Didnt Ronaldo win it with brazil?

he won the world cup with Brazil yeah, twice.

He got the golden boot in 2002 - not sure about 98.

What exactly is your question or point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Any other examples apart from the aforementioned Salenko? I can't think of any others, let alone one in each of the WCs I've been alive for.

I wouldn't go near Holland - as has been said, they share goals around a bit and the OP was looking to bet now which means it'd be a big risk to go for RVP on the basis that he'll be fully fit and firing. Plus their tough group could go either way.

I think Klose (25s) and Robinho (33s) are good each way bets, with any of the French forwards looking tempting as well because of their easy-ish group (South Africa as first seeds :eek:). Probably Henry (28s). Eto'o at 33s could be tempting either - same group as Holland but it's better than the Ivory Coast's group if you're looking at African sides who could 'pull a South Korea'.

Klose finished joint top in 2002 with most of his goals coming vs Saudi Arabia in a 7-1 win, i think. something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

1982 Spain (Italy) Paolo Rossi 6
    1986 Mexico (England) Gary Lineker 6
    1990 Italia (Italy) Salvatore Schillaci 6
    1994 USA (Bulgaria) Hristo Stoichkov 6
    1998 France (Croatia) Davor Šuker 6
    2002 South Korea/Japan (Brazil) Ronaldo 8
    2006 Germany (Germany) Miroslav Klose 5

Salenko shared it with Stoichkov in 94

Klose finished joint top in 2002 with most of his goals coming vs Saudi Arabia in a 7-1 win, i think. something like that.

Klose came joint second with Rivaldo on 5 in 2002

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

inforfun wrote: »
    Sorry... i dont really understand what you are asking here.
    Sorry misread the post. Thought poster said only one striker apart from Stoitkov had won golden shoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Super Mario Gomez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

What are the odds on chubby Ronaldo? He was voted best player in the Brazil Serie A last season wasnt he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

He got 3 against Saudi Arabia, one against Ireland and one against Cameroon - all group stages.

Probably qualifies alright but I'd still question the previous poster's point that 'someone in every World Cup scores 3 or 4 goals in a freakishly high-scoring game'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

tdv wrote: »
    What are the odds on chubby Ronaldo? He was voted best player in the Brazil Serie A last season wasnt he?

Unlikely he will make the squad let alone play. Fabiano is ahead of Pato in the pecking order and is Brazil's top scorer. Kaka should get a couple and he takes the peno's but as someone said it is normally a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

I had a small few quid on fat Ronaldo with a mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

i normally back 2 or 3 each tournament.

One in particular looks good value as much as we all would hate to see it:
    Thierry Henry 33/1- This price is unbelievable, i know he plays out wide for france but he's thierry henry and he has a serious point to prove at the world cup. Does he take the penalties?

I wouldnt be too confident going against torres either although i think the price is fairly right on him.

Some I think are bad value though: rooney, ronaldo, defoe, Gilardino and Toni, huntelaar.

6 goals in 7 games is some achievement though, how can ya predict someone will do it confidently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Villa, Fabiano or Torres. No surprises.

Outside shot? I'm not sure how much of an outside shot he is because i haven't checked the odds, but if anyone is going to break that 3 i reckon it could be Rooney. I think England will have a good tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Pato at 33/1 is a great bet. How does each work with top goalscorer in WC? Top 3?

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    Pato at 33/1 is a great bet. How does each work with top goalscorer in WC? Top 3?

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/internationals/world-cup/top-goalscorer

At the bottome it gives each way terms for each bookie, couple of them payin 5 places
    Dead heat applies though so there could be 7 or 8 players equal with the fourth or fifth highest total. It's not a great market for each way imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Vidic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I think Aguero could be a good bet. If he is given a decent run by Maradona or if Maradona is given the boot and they get in a decent manager he might have a good chance.

Just looked up his stats on wiki and he has got 12 in 23 this season in all competitions which is a very good return.

Just thought I'd give this thread a dustdown and see what people think now that we're only a week away.

I went with Crouch at 80-1 ew, he's down to 40-1 now. I'm sure he won't get the golden boot but he might bag a few in the early stages if he gets his game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Fabiano, with Brazil going to the final!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I think RVP is a great bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I'll be gutted if Villa is pushed wide of a 4-3-3 just because Torres is fit. Either play a 4-4-2 with both upfront, or keep Torres on the bench. Villa is Spain's best striker ever I reckon, and him on the wing will limit his poaching instinct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Think Aguero at 40/1 will be my dark horse bet, hard to say with maradonna could play him in goal

Robben as well maybe, 66/1 he could bag a few in the group stages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd got with Luis Fabiano, can see him getting a good few goals in the group with North Korea there, and he'd get 1 or 2 against Ivory Coast and Portugal.Then, it looks like they'll get Chile or Switzerland in the 2nd round, who will concede.Could see him with around 5 or 6 goals from the first 4 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

eZe^ wrote: »
    I'll be gutted if Villa is pushed wide of a 4-3-3 just because Torres is fit. Either play a 4-4-2 with both upfront, or keep Torres on the bench. Villa is Spain's best striker ever I reckon, and him on the wing will limit his poaching instinct.

+1 to this.

If Spain play 4-4-2 then play Torres and Villa up front. But if they go 4-3-3 then Torres should be dropped to the bench. Villa being forced onto the wing to accommodate Torres would be a joke, especially considering Spain already have a wealth of very good actual wingers to play there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,835 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I might put a bet on Rooney

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭C0SM0

Defoe at 33/1- Good outside bet. He should get some mins on the pitch if England are winning cos Rooney will be subbed to save him, and with Lennon on the right wing he'll know exactly what runs Defoe will make.
    5/6 goals shud win it.

A hatrick in the first round would go a long way to sealing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Might have a small flutter on Lampard at 66/1 and maybe Van Persie at 14's :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Going for RVP for this. He should be flying after only coming back in the last month or 2, and reckon Holland will go a long way in this.
    He is their peno taker took I think, so seems the best bet.

Advertisement