Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drunken Behaviour Fines?

Options
  • 12-01-2010 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

For my next topic, Why not introduce an on the spot €1000 fine upwards for drunken / abusive behaviour (i.e. shouting and spitting at cops or some poor shopkeeper) and if the person can't afford it have it deducted from their social welfare payments?

I'm not saying anyone who is drunk should be fined just those who Garda see as warranting the fine, also I would run the fine parrallel to any other course of justice sentencing, community service etc

It would certainly cut down loutish and violent behaviour on our streets in no time I would think, anyonr care to poke holes in my argument?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

anyonr care to poke holes in my argument?
    OK.

€1000+ fine at the discretion of a Guard.
    Set it at €80 and you might be on to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

For my next topic, Why not introduce an on the spot €1000 fine upwards for drunken / abusive behaviour (i.e. shouting and spitting at cops or some poor shopkeeper) and if the person can't afford it have it deducted from their social welfare payments?

I'm not saying anyone who is drunk should be fined just those who Garda see as warranting the fine, also I would run the fine parrallel to any other course of justice sentencing, community service etc

It would certainly cut down loutish and violent behaviour on our streets in no time I would think, anyonr care to poke holes in my argument?

For my next topic....

Loads of holes but i will leave you with a couple of thoughts.

1. Civil liberties would love you.
    2. The court system would need to be changed
    3. In the case of those on social welfare it would be there starving kids that will suffer.

It would be a far greater thing to increase the amount of gards and give the court system all the resources it needs to deal with the problem of public order....

You were watching sky 1 last night go on be honest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'd support it.

If some people don't see a problem with drinking €80 or more's worth in a night (to get into that state) then €80 is far too low.

Maybe set it at €500 and then double it if there's a failed appeal....the appeal based on witnesses, CCTV footage and those affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'll bite.

If it's €1000, the individual Gardaí are unlikely to enforce it.

The "issue" here isn't that the fines are too low, it's that the fines aren't being imposed. Your suggestion makes it no more likely (and arguably less likely) that the fines will be imposed.

Complain to the relevant people that the fines aren't being imposed in the first place. That's a better start towards the result you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Would fining an aggressive, angry and potentially violent drunk €1000 not just make them worse? The fact that they had been brought to the gardai' attention in the first place would suggest undesirable behaviour. The best way is to make alcohol so expensive that people just cant afford it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

orourkeda wrote: »
    Would fining an aggressive, angry and potentially violent drunk €1000 not just make them worse? The fact that they had been brought to the gardai' attention in the first place would suggest undesirable behaviour. The best way is to make alcohol so expensive that people just cant afford it anymore.

People will always be able to afford alcohol but not necessarily the legal stuff. Pricing it out of the reach of the common man will make illegal stills and the black market trade hugely profitable. As seen with most other contraband it will be a field-day for criminal gangs, but at least the streets will be quieter at night (untill the shooting starts over patch-wars).

Greater Garda presence and enforcement of existing laws would be best imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,349 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm not saying anyone who is drunk should be fined...
    No, you're just saying anyone who is drunk and abusive has to be on Welfare :pac:
    just those who Garda see as warranting the fine, also I would run the fine parrallel to any other course of justice sentencing, community service etc

I'll poke one: you get fined less for 30mph over the Speed Limit, when you run the risk of Killing Someone (possibly! several people!). A Thousand Euro for drunk and disorderly? Death Penalties for indecent exposure? You're really talking about the Hundred mark and a Court Appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

orourkeda wrote: »
    The best way is to make alcohol so expensive that people just cant afford it anymore.

So not only will we have drugs and cigarretes being the source of millions to criminal gangs, but drink too.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

This idea wouldn't work because no police officer would issue such a fine. Would you be prepared to hand a drunken lout a fine late at night? What if he/she pulled out a knife at you?

We need to tackle these issues at the grass-roots level I'm afraid. Your idea is typical of the nonsense laws that democracies seem to churn out repeatedly. It is much more apparent here in the UK - You all recall ASBOs and the banning of 'hoodies' from dcertain shopping malls I'm sure.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 83,349 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Kevster wrote: »
    This idea wouldn't work because no police officer would issue such a fine. Would you be prepared to hand a drunken lout a fine late at night? What if he/she pulled out a knife at you?
    I didnt even think about it like that!

But, I dont think it would be handled at all [if implemented] like a Traffic Stop. I see something like this only being the case when the drunk and disorderly is detained and booked. Thats the only way you can fine a drunk - face it - for any sum of money.

I mean seriously, can you really picture the Gards citing drunks and writing slips in the parking lot outside the nightclubs? :pac: no. Even if it was the Law tomorrow, that is Not how they would go about their enforcement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

No - I really cannot picture it happening. The drunks would get the familiar "c'mon now... ... move along there lads" from the officer in question :p

Who's going to pay a €1000 fine for abusive behaviour (shouting and spitting at cops or some poor shopkeeper)?

When these types of cases currently get to court, they attract a lower penalty, so anyone who got the fine would escalate it to a court appearance.

A simple on the spot €80 fine (something similar to a traffic offence), applied liberally might work. People know that the current sanction nine times out of ten, for this kind of low level anti-social behaviour is a warning from a gaurd and being told to move on or a name taken with no follow up. If the sanction was a small on the stop fine, this might change behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I think 1000 is way too excessive. I think a hundred is about the upper limit for being drunk and disorderly. Unless you're being threatening and violent, in which case... a hundred is too low in my opinion.

But I really like the idea of taking fines out of people's wages or social welfare, before the money gets to them, a little bit every week. Would that help deal with the issue of people getting chucked in jail for non-payment of fines etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

They should be fined 10 rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You guys do realise that such tickets already exist?

Victor wrote: »
    You guys do realise that such tickets already exist?

That was quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

If you're drunk in public, you can be fined €100 on the spot, or €140 if you're drunk and disorderly. You have 28 days to pay.

Bit of a risky one if you're a guard all the same. If they appear drunk, but it turns out that they're not drunk, then giving them a fine could result in a nasty argument and a complaint for acting discourteously. On the other hand, if they're hammered and you give them a fine instead of arresting them the next day you could hear they were (a) knocked down, (b) choked on their own vomit and ended up in the hospital mortuary, or (c) drove home and knocked someone else down, then the family would want answers as to why the person wasn't arrested and thrown in a cell for their own protection.

Never heard of them being issued anyway. Another empty gesture so beloved of Dermot Ahern,

Advertisement