Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berries??

Options
  • 12-01-2010 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Hoping you guys can help me.

I have an 8 month old son. I have given him strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, all seperately and he has reacted to all of them. Bad tummy and very bad nappies!!

Is this common? Will he grow out of it or is it a sign of an allergy?

Any opinions appreciated!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

With the current thinking saying babies should not be on soild food until they are 5/6 months I do think that 8months is way too young for such complex and high in sugar foods such as berries. I waited until mine were in and around 3 and had a better developed digestive system.

If you are worried it's a medical issue then do big him to the dr and ask about what you should be feeding him of the dr or your local health nurse.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭supermum1

Thanks for the reply!!

he's actually been on solids since he was 4 months (by docs orders, he's a very hungry baby!)

I only gave him berries because it was in a childrens cook book, recommended from 6 months!

I think you're right though, going to hold off for a while before I try him again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Any new food when introduced can cause issues as the body is not used to it and doesn't know how to process it, I'd suggest getting a good book on children nutrition to read, buy, borrow or see what is in or can be ordered in to your local library.

Might try that, have always loved annabel carmel but she has unfortunately let me down on this one!

Lots of research in my future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Snowman123

I dont think those foods should be avoided.

My 10 month old son has been eating all of the above since he was 7 months old and has no problems at all. His favorite are rasberries.

Maybe give him a break from them for a while and try again when he is 1.

We have an family fish allergy and the doctor advised us no to introudce it until he is 1. Maybe your son has an intollerence and try again when he is a year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Fruit is high in acid and sugars, those things in reasonable quantities are bound to cause a sensitive wee gut to raise a riot, especially if they're just being introduced now. Judge it yourself really, there isn't anything "wrong" per se with your son having those things, just in tiny amounts or you'll be lugging far more nappies and clothes changes around everywhere with you :)

Thanks for the advice everyone. Will definitely be giving him a break. don't think I can handle the nappies!!

Advertisement