Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable Solar Generator

• 12-01-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Portable Solar Generator

Basically its a way of continuously re-charging a 12v battery using a solar panel (with light obviously).

It's not heavy duty but does make a great test and diagnostic device for electrical systems, jump-starting a dead for example (I've used this before when in the middle of nowhere) and power outages when you need a power source etc.
    I've logged all my work so far here:

http://www.squidoo.com/thesolartron

I've installed a frame for a panel to go directly onto the slanting part of the battery container to catch the suns rays.

The tie down strap is useful for keeping the lid on firmly and could be used to carry it one-handed. But the side staples probably wouldn't take the weight (despite being drilled into the container box.
    The system isn't that heavy (about 10 kilos) and is fairly portable.
    As it is it would make an excellent tool for helping you to live off the grid, in a shelter, from your vehicle etc.

The inverter which allows AC power plug-ins I've also mounted on top so it doesn't have to be carried loosely.

So the whole unit can be moved about and as long as its daylight the battery will be getting its precious energy topped up
    I don't have worry about disconnecting wires, packing up the loose bits etc.

The final step will be augmenting the AC inverter and buying a larger panel to tie into the generator, as if it's used for power hungry machines the power recharge won't match the drain.

Well, after a good few hours in the workshop my solar generator is now up and running and I'm going to show you some pics.

Early Days:

Getting the panel mounted...

P1010298.jpg

Wiring it all in:

P1050133.jpg

Its uses include:

Household appliances, charging smaller batteries, laptops, augmenting an existing solar array, jumpstarting drained / dead car batteries (several times successful on this).

With the inverter connected you get hours of use. It converts DC to AC but drains the power quite quickly, but you still get a few hours of use as long as you're not using a hair-dryer.

Get yourself off the grid or at least less reliant on it people :)

I dub thee 'The Solatron!' :D

Solartron1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

The Solatron Project continues...

Voltmeter Upgrade

P1050124.jpg

This is where it'll be going:

P1050122.jpg

The first major problem was the size of it really was irritating.
    No matter how I weevilled and gimbled the thing inside the box the dam lid just wouldn't close properly. The second problem was ensuring it remained secure and wasn't going to become a smashed up part while on the move.
    Eventually I settled on a novel method. Using my trusty drill and dremel I drilled out a smaller circular piece from the generator box and carefully pushed the device into it. The fit was beyond flush and positively was a struggle. But being plastic and a very tight fit means it won't be going anywhere.

P1050131.jpg

Some silicon sealant on the inside, around voltmeter hole to help keep moisture out.

If you look closely you might just be able to make out the switches three terminals poking through.

A switch for turning it off and on I installed as well. Otherwise there'd be constant drain on the battery.

P1050135.jpg

Here's the finished meter installed and turned on, looks closely and you'll see the switch too:

P1050136.jpg

The next and final Upgrade I made was to augment the existing inverter.

The problem with the inverter is that it's only designed for AC appliances AND it drains the battery while it's switched on.

I needed some more variety for DC and so set about buying some DC Power Sockets from the local car shop.

SolartronComplete.jpg

Now it's installed.

I just used the adhesive strips that came with the DC unit to fix onto the inverter and the battery strap as well keeps it all in place.

The little switch box on the bottom right section turns the seperate sockets on and off.

Friendly feedback appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Interesting. How much does it all work out at....

Interesting. How much does it all work out at....

All-in it comes to about 140 Euros.

Obviously if you use a larger panel, a heavier battery (the one pictures is an 85 Amp Hour one) the price will be more.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Nice job there.:):)

Where did you get the panel from.

kadman

• Advertisement

Ordered it from Maplin.

Advertisement