Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi-private Holles street

Options
  • 12-01-2010 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

People,
    For out first 2 kids, we had them in semi private in Holles street. We had at the time health insurance and paid the balance of €600 roughly after birth.

Now we cant afford insurance due to unforseen circumstance and the wife is due. We rang up holles street and ask for a price for semi private with no insurance....3-4.5k..could rise pending on the complications...blah blah

Is this right...mad!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Yep its about right. 6k in mt. carmel i believe

Alot extra to pay for the same care in a nicer bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If that is what htey say the costs are then that is what the costs are and you would be billed for every addition if the birth is complicated.

If you go public then all of the costs will be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Enquire about the community midwives system. We went that way for our 2 kids and it was top class. If the birth has no complications you can leave the hospital after the 6 hour checkup of the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

kmick wrote: »
    Enquire about the community midwives system. We went that way for our 2 kids and it was top class. If the birth has no complications you can leave the hospital after the 6 hour checkup of the baby.

I left hosp within 20 hours of my second on semi private, so much more comfy at home!

Op insurance sent out a copy of the bill to us after the second, afair it was around 2.5k in 2006. They billed for a doc at the labour and there wasn't one, I have good labours so none was needed. I also had first time nurses in each labour. The only difference was the room really and I was lucky both times to have the same 2 bed room. My sis was semi too and had a 6 bed room. We both went for the same female doc and ended up seeing a diff doc each visit. I recommend on the experience of my second go public! Ok so you won't have a menu or food delivered straight to bed but I'd rather that than pay 4k!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Given that your not going to be there that long I can never get why people use health insurance to pay for a private room

I've recently had my second child as a public patient. First time I was in a normal ward this time due to lack of space I was given a bed in a semi private ward. To be honest I missed the craic and the banter, it was so bloody quiet that I was nearly climbing the walls.

Public wards arent all that bad despite the horror stories and for such a short stay you could do a lot worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

7k i was quoted last year just for starters. Don't know why anyone goes private anymore unless they don't worry about money! In public scheme, gp visits=free, hospital appointments=free, 6 ante natal classes=free, epidural=free, aftercare=free. Your home in no time after the birth with 10 grand in your back pocket for a college fund starter!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

I was private in Holles st in 2003. On top of B+ VHI we paid consultant 3500. From what I remember we could claim back 800 of this from VHI. The hospital was all covered. But she was in special care for 2 weeks & we got the bill I nearly passed out . €12500 - as she was private too. Total OMG moment - I thought they were billing me :D

Only thing I could suggest is maybe a public ward & private consultant... Only difference I noticed was the carpet on the floor in the West wing & the fact my consultant was rang & arrived in for the delivery. Thank God is all ill say as we had an emergency... Worth every penny

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

tax relief used to be at the higher rate now it is at the lower rate which makes a huge difference for a lot of people.
    I would not pay 3k to go semi private in Holles st.
    The private accommodation there in the merrion wing is lovely:)
    I have no idea about semi private or the public wards there but in general I found the staff very over worked but lovely.
    If you qualify for mlu I would see if you can get in though it might be too late now.

op - weird that they charged you after the birth,all payments there now are upfront on your 1st visit except for the anomlay scan which they invoice you for.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭charlieroot

They billed for a doc at the labour and there wasn't one, I have good labours so none was needed.

Did you get an epidural by any chance? If so, the doc's bill may have been due for the anesthesiologist (the doc who put it in).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Did you get an epidural by any chance? If so, the doc's bill may have been due for the anesthesiologist (the doc who put it in).

I did but asfar as I recall that was billed seperate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

I still don't understand why anyone would pay thousands when you can do it for free.

Advertisement