Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jacket issue.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,649 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

copacetic wrote: »
    Not to be a naysayer, but the spec on the jacket clearly doesn't say it is seam-sealed. Non seam-sealed jackets can leak at the seams, but usually only in heavy rain or if you are wearing a pack or something that forces the moisture into the seams.

If you look at the other jackets there are plenty of seam sealed ones.

So possibly you wouldn't expect this jacket to leak in a shower, but it's also definitely not one you would buy expecting it to be fully waterproof.

I'd imagine north face would be willing to look at it to see is it faulty or is it just the seams leaking.

Thats what i was thinking you see,but then i wonder why would the jacket be waterproof but not seal the seems,which would make it not waterproof?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Gintonious wrote: »
    Thats what i was thinking you see,but then i wonder why would the jacket be waterproof but not seal the seems,which would make it not waterproof?

It's a snowsports jacket, so is waterproof in that sitting/falling in snow etc is fine, but it's not ideal for any length of time in the rain.

I know its great to be smart in hindsight but you'll see from the site it's not included in the waterproof shell section.

It would still be unusual for it to leak so easily, unless you were wearing a backpack?

It's a snowsports jacket, so is waterproof in that sitting/falling in snow etc is fine, but it's not ideal for any length of time in the rain.

I know its great to be smart in hindsight but you'll see from the site it's not included in the waterproof shell section.

It would still be unusual for it to leak so easily, unless you were wearing a backpack?

No backpack on me,i was carrying my gym bag in my hand and it wasnt really raining heavily at all at that stage,i know its not in the waterproof section but if the jacket is shown as waterproof then i would have expected it to be able to hold up to a shower,i was never expecting it to withstand a storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Well it's not in the "waterproof shells" tab but the description clearly says that the "shell is waterproof" so that is a semantic issue. The OP is entitled to expect that a month-old €250 jacket should keep a shower of rain out, otherwise what is it for?

SSE

Well it's not in the "waterproof shells" tab but the description clearly says that the "shell is waterproof" so that is a semantic issue. The OP is entitled to expect that a month-old €250 jacket should keep a shower of rain out, otherwise what is it for?

SSE

It's not a semantic issue, all the actual waterproof jackets are seam sealed. This one isn't, it's a snow sports jackets, thats what it is for. Imo it's not a suitable jacket for Ireland. Although I wouldn't expect it to leak so easily even though the seams aren't sealed.

The OP definitely had poor service from the great outdoors and it seems like a poor quality jacket, but expecting a jacket which doesn't have sealed seams to be waterproof at the seams is just wrong. It's impossible.

• Advertisement

It's not a semantic issue, all the actual waterproof jackets are seam sealed. This one isn't, it's a snow sports jackets, thats what it is for. Imo it's not a suitable jacket for Ireland. Although I wouldn't expect it to leak so easily even though the seams aren't sealed.

The OP definitely had poor service from the great outdoors and it seems like a poor quality jacket, but expecting a jacket which doesn't have sealed seams to be waterproof at the seams is just wrong. It's impossible.

Well as i said i wasnt expecting it to hold up to heavy down pours,that was never the case,but when i was out in it the rain was not very heavy at all,and im more annoyed with the "its your fault for not asking" thing,that comes across to me as a bit of a con job.

Well as i said i wasnt expecting it to hold up to heavy down pours,that was never the case,but when i was out in it the rain was not very heavy at all,and im more annoyed with the "its your fault for not asking" thing,that comes across to me as a bit of a con job.

I agree absolutely, but I think your best bet now is to either go back in to great outdoors and ask to speak to manager. Explain that you aren't expecting it to be fully waterproof but the seams leaked in a light shower. Hopefully they will agree to send it back to be checked out. If not, contact north face directly.

It sounds to me like the stitching could be faulty on the seams if they leaked so easily. Even though they aren't sealed, if the fabric is overlapped and stitched correctly it should take driven rain or water pressed in by a pack to leak through. Say this to them.

If the worst comes to the worst, you can seal the seams yourself, with something like this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001GYV620?ie=UTF8&tag=shopwiki-uk-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738

I agree absolutely, but I think your best bet now is to either go back in to great outdoors and ask to speak to manager. Explain that you aren't expecting it to be fully waterproof but the seams leaked in a light shower. Hopefully they will agree to send it back to be checked out. If not, contact north face directly.

It sounds to me like the stitching could be faulty on the seams if they leaked so easily. Even though they aren't sealed, if the fabric is overlapped and stitched correctly it should take driven rain or water pressed in by a pack to leak through. Say this to them.

If the worst comes to the worst, you can seal the seams yourself, with something like this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001GYV620?ie=UTF8&tag=shopwiki-uk-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738

They did say that to me about some sort of sealant, to be honest i would probably prefer that over all the hassle, but i would always seem a little short changed that i got a jacket that needed something else done to it, and again the "its your own fault" tag with the argument isnt sitting well with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Tough one. It's a snow jacket not a rain jacket. As ws said you could easily seal it yourself. But you may well not get any satisfaction from shop on this one.

I think the best thing to do is email north face to find out for sure what the jacket can withstand.

My dad was onto consumer affairs and they have said that

1. if it says its waterproof on the North face site then it should be waterproof

2. that what the assistant said about I should have asked if the jacket is waterproof or not is rubbish and its the shop who should tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

that what the assistant said about I should have asked if the jacket is waterproof or not is rubbish and its the shop who should tell you.
    Absolutely. That'd mean the next time I was in Clarks I'd have to ask, "Are these okay to walk in?" If I don't and the shoes fall apart, then it'd be my problem? Rubbish.

Absolutely. That'd mean the next time I was in Clarks I'd have to ask, "Are these okay to walk in?" If I don't and the shoes fall apart, then it'd be my problem? Rubbish.

Yeah its a bit of a **** thing to say,surely a shop cant have that as its policy?

Advertisement