Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP! Buying a new MPV...

• 12-01-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi all,

My wife and I are looking for a good family car since ours is about the size of a shoebox. Anyone have experience with 05+ models of Opel Zafiras or Hyundai Trajets and whether one is better than the other in reliability?

Also I'm seeing loads of different prices for these models, from 9k for an 06 Zafira with 50k miles to 12 for an 06 Zafira with 60k miles. Is there any way to figure out actual value of the cars for haggling purposes?

Is it worth it to finance through a dealership? We're leaving our bank for customer service issues and we don't have an account with a credit union setup yet, so we're sourcing financing options. If you finance through them, how acceptable is haggling on the car? And is it worth it to look for financing at banks we don't have accounts with?

Last question with regards to the prices. In my experience you wouldn't expect a dealer to go much lower than maybe 1k off the windscreen price, but I'm seeing these Zafiras with 3k differences (as mentioned above). I'm thinking it's cus they overpaid, figure on haggling or looking for a sucker, or are chancing their arm. Anyone know if it's worthwhile low-balling to a more reasonable figure (like, offering 10k flat for one priced at 11,900)?

Thanks for any help guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Trajets are apparently known for gearbox trouble and power steering pump failures, and interior build quality isn't the best. They don't really have much going for them besides the space. The Zafira on the other hand is a class leading car and should be more reliable although the diesel engines can cause trouble (though this is going by Honestjohn so could be isolated cases/a load of bollocks).

Personally I'd avoid dealer financing like the plague but I've never been in a position where I was buying a car worth anything.

Advertisement