Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to use my dog for studding???

Options
  • 12-01-2010 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I have a 4 year old male boxer, brindle & white & lovely markings, full pedigree with papers.

Can anyone tell me where I can bring him to mate?

I tried I.K.C. but they just gave me a phone number of someone that could't help.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

Recaro Red wrote: »
    I have a 4 year old male boxer, brindle & white & lovely markings, full pedigree with papers.

Can anyone tell me where I can bring him to mate?

I tried I.K.C. but they just gave me a phone number of someone that could't help.

Cheers

i'd phone them and ask them (IKC) for a list of boxer breeders in your area and take it from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

The reason the person whose number the IKC gave you couldn't help is probably because no reputable breeder will use a stud dog that hasn't been health tested and been shown to see if it is a good example of the breed.

Have you ever shown your dog? Have you had your dog tested for all the health problems in your breed? I imagine hip dysplacia may be one, so has your dog been hip scored>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Firstly can i ask why you want to stud him?

If you want to use your dog for stud its usually the owners of the bitches that come to you and ask to use him.

First off, is he a good example of the breed? Has an expert had a look at him and deemed him a good/excellent example of his breed, as only very good specimens should be bred from.

Then, has he had all his health tests that are relevent for boxers as all dogs/bitches should be tested first before any breeding is done, and this isnt just the once over for the breed. I think boxers suffer from heart problems so this needs to be ruled out first before doing anything.

Have you ever shown him? This is a great way to get your dog out there and be seen by people and if hes a good dog then people will come to you. I havea rottweiler who is a champion and i show him and he is now available for stud, but i am a member of the rottweiler club of ireland and i have him advertised with our club and on their site, so this could be a way to go down if you show your dog.

You would really need to have an expert look at him to make sure that he has no major faults that would make him unsuitable for breeding. So many people think because they have a pedigree dog with papers then they can just use them for stud, but more often than not, these dogs arent suitable to be bred from.

But i would go down the route of contacting boxer clubs and maybe do some shows and see how you get on. This will then give you an indication of whether you should use him for stud or not and if hes a lovely dog then people will come to you.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

please think about this very carefully. have u seem the amount of boxers for sale everyday, have u looked on PI and seen the amount that are in pounds, 2 yrs ago these were the breed to have now there getting dumped every day of the week. Not preaching at u but please just give it another thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Yes, nearly every year another breed is "in". it used to be Boxers, then it was Akitas etc and we in rescue feel it first hand. Boxers everywhere... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Recaro Red

A lot of feedback so quick!

I understand dogs are mistreated by people who couldn't give a rats what happens to the pups/dogs once they make a profit.

I'm just asking what's involved and how to go about using my dog for studding ie. the feedback about being a good breed and healthy, (and not in a mad rush for the money purposes). I just want to give that option to breeders and owners of bitches as I think he would make a good stud, not to mention the dog needs a mate!!!

But going along the lines of bringing him to an "expert" for health checks and local clubs is probably the best option as it's probably too late to train him for dog shows (can be a bit unpredictable even though well house trained!).

Can these checks be carried out by a vet or is it usually the breeder?

Appreciate the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

You've got alot of negative feedback and I hope you don't feel like your being bashed but there is so much to think about before ethically breeding your dog. Its good that your willing to do all the necessary health tests on your dog (eyes, heart, hips and elbows) but that is just part of it. Showing is also a big part, its where you not only get to know other breeders and their dogs but where you can pick up invaluable information and pit your dog against its peers to see how good he really is. Everyone is blinkered where it comes to their dog and believes them to be the best, thats why the unbias opinion of an experienced judge is invaluable. An owner of a CH. bitch won't give you the time of day if you haven't proven your dog in the show ring and if your dog does prove to be an excellent example of the breed you will never have to advertise him to stud, you will have them lining up around the block to use his services!!!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I think he would make a good stud

You think he would make a good stud but you are neither a judge of champion boxers nor a vet. EVERY dog owner thinks their dog is great.
    not to mention the dog needs a mate!!!

Where are you getting this from? Dogs do not "need" to mate.
    But going along the lines of bringing him to an "expert" for health checks
    ... Can these checks be carried out by a vet or is it usually the breeder?

Vets do health checks. A breeder is not going to have an X ray machine for example.
    and local clubs is probably the best option as it's probably too late to train him for dog shows (can be a bit unpredictable even though well house trained!).

If you cannot bring him to a proper boxer show then he has no chance of being a champion. He might do well in the local "Waggiest tale" contest but that has no bearing on whether or not he is a good example of his breed.

I do not mean to sound blunt but we have thousands upon thousands of dogs destroyed every year in this country because there are just too many dogs and not enough homes.
    In addition we have breeders all over the place churning out Boxer puppies every week, we do not need any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

A lot of feedback so quick!

I understand dogs are mistreated by people who couldn't give a rats what happens to the pups/dogs once they make a profit.

I'm just asking what's involved and how to go about using my dog for studding ie. the feedback about being a good breed and healthy, (and not in a mad rush for the money purposes). I just want to give that option to breeders and owners of bitches as I think he would make a good stud, not to mention the dog needs a mate!!!

But going along the lines of bringing him to an "expert" for health checks and local clubs is probably the best option as it's probably too late to train him for dog shows (can be a bit unpredictable even though well house trained!).

Can these checks be carried out by a vet or is it usually the breeder?

Appreciate the feedback

For hip scoring, he would need to x-rayed and then these x rays are sent over to the UK - it can't be done here yet - and they score it and send it back. I've not had it done here, I believe it works out at just over €100 for the x rays and the hip scoring. Your local vet can do it, but most people like to use UCD vet college as they're very experienced, and know how to line the dog up to get the best picture for the hip scoring.

If you find a local "expert" I would hope this would be someone who shows their dog, and they will tell you that the dog needs to be shown to judge how good he is. In my opinion any other advice isn't worth anything.

What do you mean that the dog needs a "mate", if you mean a friend, then by all means get the dog a friend, but a dog does not need to mate to be happy. In fact, you will find that if you let your dog mate once, he will want to do it time and time again. Not always with other dogs, legs, cushions, chairs etc can all become suspectible to his advances:D Its a case of what he ain't never had, he won't miss. You will also have trouble with him if there is a bitch in season anywhere in the area, he will know what he's supposed to do, and his urge to escape will be even higher.

Something that does concern me about your post is that you feel he's too old to train for showing as he can be a bit unpredictable. Dogs should also be bred for temperament as well as looks. He could feasibly pass that unpredictability onto any pups he sires. So maybe think about whether you would like that part of his personality passed on.

In my opinion, the owner of the male as well as the female dog are just as responsible for any pups born. Are you willing to take on that responsibility? Can you take one of his pups into your house when its 5/6 years old and not wanted anymore? Theres a lot to think about if you love your dog, which you seem to do. Imagine how you would feel if it was him dumped at the pound, and then consider if you can take that risk with one of his pups:D

I'm not having a go at you, just offering you the info that you asked for, and advice that I hope you will think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Why do you want to breed him then? Will you take responsibility for the litter? Maybe if you do all the necessary checks etc, then if someone desperately wants him look into it. I love my dog too but wouldn't in a million years breed her, for any reason. Too much hassle for her and I don't want the responsibility of pups. That's feeding, worming, vaccinating them and rehoming them when my dog decides she doesn't want them. Sounds like alot of cost to me, I'd imagine that you'd have to make a profit somewhere.
    I just want to give that option to breeders and owners of bitches as I think he would make a good stud, not to mention the dog needs a mate!!!

There are plenty of boxers around the place, I find it very hard to believe that a breeder will say "Your dog is so outstanding, miles above any other boxer I've ever seen, I have to breed him!"

Your dog does not need a mate, who told you this?? He won't even want a mate if you get him neutered. The biggest favour you can do for your dog is have him snipped as far as I'm concerned.

No offence OP, I realise I'm coming across as harsh but just enjoy your dog for what he is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement