Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quickest way to get a Nexus One?

• 12-01-2010 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I just sold my N97 on eBay for €350 so need to get a Nexus One quickly.

I have a mate living in the States. Can I just get him to buy me one and send it over?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Yes, just have him mark it as a gift to avoid ridiculous duty charges.

You'll need a US to UK plug adapter if you want to use the included wall charger too.

Also, the turn-by-turn directions in the Google Maps app won't work and neither will the voice recognition. Everything else is fine though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The marking-as-gift malarkey won't do jack for you if customs decide to open the package and take a look.

Why won't the voice recognition work?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Stephen wrote: »
    The marking-as-gift malarkey won't do jack for you if customs decide to open the package and take a look.
    QUOTE]

Would I be better off having him take it out of the box and just wrap it in bubble wrap then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Stephen wrote: »

Why won't the voice recognition work?

It's server based and won't accept connections outside the US apparently. It was reported by another boards user who got a Nexus One using that myUSAbox site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That's a disappointment. I've been using it over here and it does work quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

mobius42 wrote: »
    It's server based and won't accept connections outside the US apparently. It was reported by another boards user who got a Nexus One using that myUSAbox site.

Have a look here - apparently it does work http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055788763&page=8

Not sure about googlemaps though, maby the lads can confirm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

eireal wrote: »
    Have a look here - apparently it does work http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055788763&page=8

Not sure about googlemaps though, maby the lads can confirm

Maps works fine. Google voice and navigation dont work. Navigation works in car mode but it will just give you the basic directions not turn by turn. Voice recognition is on and off for me. Not a biggy for me as any phone ive had its been ****ty. I have to say though when it does works its pretty accurate. However google will eventually roll out navigation, voice and otherservices here and then they will work. I also went to the adobe flash website and it says android 2.1 flash coming 2010 so that will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

You'll need a US to UK plug adapter if you want to use the included wall charger too.

Will one of the new Nokia USB chargers work with the Nexus One?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

The Nexus one is sold in the uk by google, so that would suggest that all features would be available.

Can anyone confirm if this is so?

Most of the time for me it says server error. Works maybe 1 in 10 tries. I think its just cause im in ireland.

Also the external speaker on phone is crappy. Thats the only downfall i have found. Earphones are bit dodgy too but my iphone earphone with mic work on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Well,i've taken the ebay route after failing with the google direct route. The guy ships from NY so hopefully it won't take too long.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Stevokenevo

I'm using one over here (Ireland), and the voice search does work, although the Irish accent seems to throw it off a bit! I recently upgraded the native maps application to a testing version and car navigation with turn-by-turn directions works fine too.

Google Voice does not work in Ireland as we don't have the service yet, but Voice Search and Voice Input are not Google Voice.

I'd definitely recommend getting one - I've had a a Sony Ericsson P1i, HTC G1, then the Hero and now the Nexus and it's by far the best phone I've used.

Yh i speak fast so prob doesnt understand me . But sometimes it doesnt give me a chance to speak just says server error. How did you get navigation to work if you dont mind me asking

I work for Google so have been upgraded to the latest version of maps

Ah right, apparently there is some loophole out there to get it to work in ireland though. Havent really looked for it though. Dont really mind. Maybe you can answer this, when google does roll out navigation and google voice here, will they work on my phone. Like will it just be a case of doing an update

I honestly haven't a clue what the situation is with regard to updates - changes like that usually come either in the form of an Android Market update for a single product or as a phone update for an entire firmware change.

Seeing as the phone isn't actually sold in Ireland yet it could be a while before they are inclined to provide any updates - have you received any phone updates since you've owned it?

Not yet but there is a check for update section in the about section in settings. So id presume it would work. Google voice is just blocked here by ip. So i presume that will just work once the restriction is lifted. I knew when i ordered that these would not work so no problem. Im using sipdroid on blueface.ie for phone calls so its cheap to make calls anyway. I also downloaded dolphin browers as it supports multitouch which is great. So far no complaints, the phone is great.

Dolphin Browser is definitely a must-have, Google Goggles is also quite good, especially if you're in a city with lots of maps listings

The check for updates thing is a bit redundant as you'll be notified about a waiting update and won't ever really need to 'check' as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 al20v

hi all, first post so go easy

sorry if this is high jacking, just didn't want to open a new thread.

Sold my n97 a few weeks back and I just got my nexus one and I want to set up the internet / mms settings on it. Spoke with o2 customer care I went to there site, but the phone was not listed. I made a call to them, and they advised the nexus was not approved yet on the network. The advice was the Samsung i5700 was a similar phone as it was an Android and they would send the settings for that. It hasn't worked.

Any advice would be appreciated. I can’t find the settings to set it up manually either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

al20v wrote: »
    Any advice would be appreciated. I can’t find the settings to set it up manually either.

Settings for all Irish operators:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106942

Here is how to enter them on the Nexus One:

Go to Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names.

Press the menu button and touch New APN. Put in the following details:

Name: O2
    APN: internet
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.ie:8002
    MMS proxy: 62.40.32.40
    MMS port: 8080
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 02

Leave all the other fields empty.

Touch the back button, then touch the grey circle next to the newly created APN to activate it. That should make both internet and MMS work. Make sure you have a data plan, as the Nexus One is rather chatty and you could run up a huge bill if you don't have a data plan.

Don't listen to the bullsh*t O2 is giving you, the Nexus One works fine on O2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 al20v

@blaz, got sorted with your help
    thanks a mil :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

You could try here: http://www.fonezonline.com/71-google-nexus-one
    Or e-bay seems to have quite a few in the UK, but would prob work out the same after shipping..
    There are ones in the US but you may get stung for customs which can be hefty, though some are lucky and got it landed for under €500

Advertisement