Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Cigarettes - The original thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭bridgemond

Had a bit of a spill over the weekend. Went out drinking and started smoking on sat night, Ended up smoking real fags till today:(:o. Back on the e-cig again.
    Dont know why I stayed smoking the real cigs as I was going great and enjoy my vaping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Cassiopee

Bubba9 wrote: »
    My new year resolution hopefully will be to change to 18mg and maybe go lower in time although I can never see myself quitting or going to 0mg....the little guys in the brain need to be fed.

Well done Bubba!
    One of the brilliant things about the e-cig is that you can use 0mg juice to lower the strength of your vape very progressively. I started on 18mg 3 months ago, then after 1 month or so I started adding a couple of drops of 0mg to my tanks. Now I'm at 15mg and I haven't really noticed the change from 18mg. I hope, someday, I'll be vaping 0mg without realizing it... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 BeetleDeuce

bridgemond wrote: »
    Had a bit of a spill over the weekend. Went out drinking and started smoking on sat night, Ended up smoking real fags till today:(:o. Back on the e-cig again.
    Dont know why I stayed smoking the real cigs as I was going great and enjoy my vaping.

But isn't that the beauty of e cigs. With e cigs, you don't have to give up. When you fall off the wagon we now have our e cig to fall back on.You can fall off the wagon and not have to wait until the next time you are "ready to give up" and all that goes with giving up. Seeing that you enjoy your vaping, maybe you just did it for the novelty of it. I too was out on the sauce and my batt died and then to my horror my spare batt died, so I just smoked tobacco. Next day I just went back onto me e cig without any guilt or regret. I now see tobacco as my absolute back up if I ever get caught without my e cig.
    Welcome back...we could have lost ya there lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Morost

Hi I hope you can advise me - I have been using e liquid tofillthe cartridges I received when I bought the starter kit 2 weeks ago, I'm finding that the hit isn't great (using 18mg) and there is less vapour too......they only last a few hours. I really want to beat the smoking habit and found vaping great at the start. I read somewhere that some people use filters from fish tanks in the cartridges as the original stuffing becomes soaked and less effective is this true?
    Hope you can help me as it was finding this discussion that inspired me in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tkavan

Morost wrote: »
    Hi I hope you can advise me - I have been using e liquid tofillthe cartridges I received when I bought the starter kit 2 weeks ago, I'm finding that the hit isn't great (using 18mg) and there is less vapour too......they only last a few hours. I really want to beat the smoking habit and found vaping great at the start. I read somewhere that some people use filters from fish tanks in the cartridges as the original stuffing becomes soaked and less effective is this true?
    Hope you can help me as it was finding this discussion that inspired me in the first place.

I think after 2 weeks using the same carts, it's time to buy new ones. They're very cheap to replace. If you're really into DIY, then here's a youtube video for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Cassiopee

I read somewhere that some people use filters from fish tanks in the cartridges as the original stuffing becomes soaked and less effective is this true?

Well, I don't know anything about fish tanks, but I always found "Tank" cartridges (without any stuffing) much better than the regular ones.
    You need a T atomizer as well, Ego-T or 510-T depending on which model you use. Preferably, you want a LR (low resolution) atomizer as well.

Or you can do away with atomizers & tanks altogether and use the Dual Coil cartomizers. They're the way to go if you want a great hit, and a great taste.

If you're still unsure what to buy, get on to http://www.irishvapers.ie/
    Alberto is so nice, he'll help you out for sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 LUONATTA

Hi Shazanne,
    I am also 50 and been smoking the last 30 years and only recently started on the E Go, i am on 18mg of nicotine as they are kind of middling like the nicotine patches if you trying to give up the cigarettes. I took to them straight away and immediately and found i was vaping more than i was smoking. i havent the courage yet to lose the cigarettes but I find that i am drawn to a cigarette still and I think that is more of a mental thing associated with habit, but like smoking I think the vaping may lead hopefully to a habit of its own also in time , replacing the cigarette habit. my future plan is to get of the cigarettes, vap and reduce to O nicotine eventually over time. slow but sure.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

LUONATTA wrote: »
    Hi Shazanne,
    I am also 50 and been smoking the last 30 years and only recently started on the E Go, i am on 18mg of nicotine as they are kind of middling like the nicotine patches if you trying to give up the cigarettes. I took to them straight away and immediately and found i was vaping more than i was smoking. i havent the courage yet to lose the cigarettes but I find that i am drawn to a cigarette still and I think that is more of a mental thing associated with habit, but like smoking I think the vaping may lead hopefully to a habit of its own also in time , replacing the cigarette habit. my future plan is to get of the cigarettes, vap and reduce to O nicotine eventually over time. slow but sure.
    Good luck

Get rid of the cigarettes that you have now, just use your eGo.
    Honestly, if you have cigarettes in the house or whatever you will smoke them.
    Just try it, have none near you and just use your ecig when you get cravings.
    If worst comes to the worst and you really do need a smoke, all ya have to do is go to the shop and get some but get rid of what you have now , just vape and it will work.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Bubba9 wrote: »
    Well done Shazanne and Cassiopee. I smoked for 45 years (started when I was 7), quit for two years but the cravings never left me and returned with a vengenance at the beginning of the year so I knew it wouldn't take much for me to start back on the fags. I was told that the receptors in my brain (the little demons that Champix block) were extremely strong after smoking so long. Ecigs to me are a healthier and safer way of getting my fix and it can become a bit of a hobby mixing and matching, trying out different stuff, etc. So far I've been using 24mg tobacco juices and have ended up with too much juice....everytime I bought an atomiser, battery, etc. I'd include juice in the order so I have enough to do me until Christmas. My new year resolution hopefully will be to change to 18mg and maybe go lower in time although I can never see myself quitting or going to 0mg....the little guys in the brain need to be fed. My health doesn't seem to have changed....still can walk several miles up and down hills, blood pressure hasn't risen, no change in weight. No more dirty ashtrays, tobacco film on everything and, of course, vaping is way cheaper than smoking. What's not to like?

After trying everything to give up the cigarettes, (patches, gum, inhalers - you name it!) - what worked for my OH was adding one drop of 0nic juice to his 24mg, then, when he had adapted to that after about 2 weeks, adding 2 drops of 0nic, and so on. The next batch I mix will be at 1.2mg strength.

It seems to work for fooling those little receptor you're talking about.
    Like you, he had been smoking for over 30 years.
    He had to reduce his nicotine intake because of high blood pressure.

It's another option, for those who might have problems dropping nicotine strength to whatever your own target is.

I can't see my man giving up vaping anytime soon, if at all - and at this stage, it's very much a mental thing, because I can't see vaping the equivalent of 2 B&H a day being only a nicotine addiction.

Had a strange experience on Friday night, where a faulty atty made every e-cig battery in the house seem flat, and he was freaking out at not having a vape till Tuesday.
    When he changed the atty, there was no further problem with the batteries.:D

That's a great strategy Noreen. In theory, he should be down to about zero this time next year. Best of luck with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭baker59

Hey,
    Sorry for this long post but I'm nervous about getting the order wrong. Can someone quickly review my order to make sure I didn't make any rookie mistakes? Would really appreciate it. Bought 2 ego-ts. One for me and one for my better half.

Order Inventory:
    Product: Joye eGo-T "B" Tank Cartridges
    Quantity: 2
    Price: 7.00euro

Product: Joye eGo-T "B" Mega Atomizer
    Options: Color: - Black
    Price: 19.00euro

Product: Joye eGo-T Starter Kit
    Options: Atomizer Type - B - 2ml Battery Type - 3. 1000mAh Color: - Black
    Price: 102.60euro

Product: 30ml eLiquid PG
    Options: Strength: - 24mg Flavor: - Virginia
    Price: 19.00euro

I suppose my biggest question is about the eLiquid. Since i only got 2 30ml, how long would that last (comparing numbers to cigarettes)? Prices for everything is double since i got 2 of everything just in case people think i was ripped off. Bought of bestshopeu.

Thanks for this thread, who knows, maybe it has already saved a few lives :)
    Thank you in advance.

Maybe you should have put up your list first before you bought in case you made any rookie mistakes lol. Anyway, Your order looks well thought out. It all seems reasonable enough and the vendor is ok too.
    As for comparing cigarettes to liquid, this depends on how you smoke/vape.
    The e cig manufactures quote 1 ml = a 20 pack, however, (imho)I would equate closer to 2ml for 20 cigs..give or take a couple but again, each person is different.
    Based on the above and your order, you'd be talking about maybe a month for one person ( 30ml x2) on 20 a day or about 2 weeks for both of ya...assuming you both smoke about 20 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

I think you're getting a good kit. 24mg is a good strength to get if you're just packed in the fags. A 30ml bottle lasts me from 10 days to a fortnight. The Bestshop, and all of the other Irish sites I know of, have next day delivery so you won't run out. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭baker59

Thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it.

:) Prob should have put the list up before purchasing as you said but I'm glad it seems ok to unbiased people in the know. I'd say 30ml should last us a while so to give us the time and confidence that I haven't wasted money and we'll get more.

Now just to get over the awkward feeling of vaping in public :p

With your thoughts that about 2ml is equivalent to a 20 box, 30ml is 15 packs with is roughly e130 so if someone has that money initially, it pays for itself to try and get started. I never realised it was THAT much cheaper. Thanks again for the info and all the previous info in this thread. Now I have the feeling of nothing to lose which will probably help in it working for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

heh, you get over that

first few weeks/months I had it I was always cupping it in my hand and trying to vape discreetly. after a while you just stop caring and vape away while everyone else is smoking cigs

• Registered Users Posts: 24 elipsoid

Yup, looks good, top notch kit. Just a piece of advice with them tanks though, try to store them horizontally as I have found that they can sometimes leak through the atomiser and the juice gets in under the button on the battery. I've killed 2 batteries that way.

As for juice, I'd agree with whats been said, 24mg 30ml lasts me about 2 weeks, having said that 18mg 30ml lasts me around the same. The juice is the most important part in switching, so just remember that if your not gelling with E-cigs to begin with, try switching juice, there is a world of difference between different brands and flavors and you may have to try quite a few before you find your main vape. I'd highly recommend grabbing a selection of juices in small volumes to try out.

And for vaping in public, be prepared to answer the same questions again and again, you'll find most smokers very curious about your E-cig, but in a good way:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

And for vaping in public, be prepared to answer the same questions again and again, you'll find most smokers very curious about your E-cig, but in a good way
    Sheees, no one ever asked me anything about them, I must look very unfriendly. Oh apart from one security guy but he was watching me closely anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 elipsoid

Well in the smoking area in work they ask (not prepared to give up the social aspect of smoking), almost feel like an E-cig ambassador as I have to rattle off the same explanation a couple of times a day, it's fine but thankfully I'm not the only vaper out there anymore.

I did have one girl come up to me asking what it was I was doing, at electric picnic in the outdoor rave area, so I explained..... you would not believe the look of disappointment on her face when she realised it wasn't some new version of crack or something:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Morost

Hi everyone, has anyone had any issues going through airport security going away next week and plan on bringing a 30ml bottle and my e cig, at this point I'd be lost without it, so I don't want to risk losing it to the bin at the security desk.;)

Hi everyone, has anyone had any issues going through airport security going away next week and plan on bringing a 30ml bottle and my e cig, at this point I'd be lost without it, so I don't want to risk losing it to the bin at the security desk.;)

Few experiences here ...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056346637

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rodrob111

Hope this thread isnt dead but gonna buy my first e-cig. I have read this thread for the last hour and think I am more confused so a bit of personal help is required.

I want as long lasting a battery as possible.

I want a good liguid storage so I dont have to refill it all the time.

I will buy a range of flavours so not important.

I will need a good throat hit and am going for the double coil cartomizers or triple coil cartomizers if available.

The size and shape of the cig is not too important compared to the battery life and refill time.

I have seen the JOYE 510 mentioned a lot but none of the starter packs do not have double coil cartomizers.

All help is appreciated, thanks.

rodrob111 wrote: »
    Hope this thread isnt dead but gonna buy my first e-cig. I have read this thread for the last hour and think I am more confused so a bit of personal help is required.

I will need a good throat hit and am going for the double coil cartomizers or triple coil cartomizers if available.

The size and shape of the cig is not too important compared to the battery life and refill time.

I have seen the JOYE 510 mentioned a lot but none of the starter packs do not have double coil cartomizers.

Worth looking at.

http://www.thebestshop.eu/electronic-cigarette-starter-kits/ego-t-dcc-promotional-starter-kit/prod_207.html

yeah, but if you want as long lasting a battery as possible you might want to look at the 1000 or 1300mha batteries

it all depends though, 900mha will likely last you a day or two before needing a charge.. depending on how often you're using it.

yeah, but if you want as long lasting a battery as possible you might want to look at the 1000 or 1300mha batteries

it all depends though, 900mha will likely last you a day or two before needing a charge.. depending on how often you're using it.

1100 mAh battery and a 900 mAh "USB" battery for continuous use.
    The 900 mAh also has power indicator if watching the power level is your concern. 510 "USB" battery for continuous use and 900/1100 mah can be found at bestecig.ie

Looks like exactly what i'm looking for. Thanks

Sorry should have said part of the reason i'm quitting is i've crept up to almost 30 a day from a pack a day and got a bit of a shock when I realised.

Do you think I should buy the extra batteries with the first order or wait?

Also should I get any extras to make it easier to load the juice (like Delrin Drip Tip 510/901 or a needle)?

2 batteries is really all you need, unless you're going to be spending 4-5+ days without access to a plug to charge them

a drip tip is definitely a must, i prefer the transparent plastic ones to the delrin ones but neither is better than the other it's just down to personal preference.. i think there oughta be a drip tip in that starter pack though

as for a needle no. the dual coil cartomisers in that starter pack are really simple to fill. i'm on a laptop atm with ****ty internet so can't go looking on youtube for a video to explain but the cartomisers come with two rubber "condoms" protecting either end of them

what you do is you take the condoms off, half-3/4 fill one of them with juice and then slowly press the cartomiser into the juice so that it gets pushed up through the cartomiser..you do that 2-3 times your first time and that oughta get enough juice in to properly soak the filler. then you're away. just give the cartomiser a quick wipe witha tissue and connect it to the battery

one thing i've noticed is that directly after a filling, the draw/vapour production isn't stellar. probably because as a method of filling it barely hits the point of over filling.. so it takes a little while for the juice to properly soak in. so waiting 15-20 minutes after a filling, or just using it in the knowledge that it will get better in a few minutes will do you.
    i only mention that so you don't get it and are immediately dissapointed :)

---edit

oh, the drip tip isnt included with the starter pack so yeah you'll wnat to add one of them to the order.

the website says the starter kit is on backorder so if it is it's not difficult at all to just find all the pieces yourself on the website and add them seperately to your shopping basket.

if you do that, you dont really need the carry case or the cone covers

if you want I can just throw in a few links here for the seperate components you need so you can just click them and add them yourself if you're still a bit confused by it all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

You can't use dual coils or low res with the 510 slim batteries, those batteries only last about 2.5 hrs anyway so better go for an eGo type, a starter kit will have two batteries and two atomizers. add a 5 pack of DC cartos and a driptip and you'll have everything to start and some stuff to spare.
    I see you were smoking near 30 a day so I'll add get juice in high enough a nic say 24mg and some lower as well say 18mg. When you first start vaping the 'hit' can be harsh compared to smoke, you get used to it.
    Killing the cravings may take higher nic than you think because of the way vaping delivers, it's not as instant as smoke.
    Good luck and enjoy the change.

Ok I have spent another 2 hours of research and have pretty much decided on the jacvapour.com Sport Full Starter Kit.

Unfortunately it is not available till 9th Nov (i'm not a very patient person).

This is a V3 cartomiser and has a very good price at €54.15 (€45.49 plus €8.66 delivery) which should reduce to €45.02 with discount code ECR69.

One of the main extras is a cool PCC (charging carry case) as well as 5 pre filled cartomisers.

Any thoughts or experience and anyone know where to get one before Nov 9th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I haven't tried that kit, but I'd be a bit wary of those batteries.

I've looked up the replacement batteries from the same site (I can't seem to find them anywhere else!), and this is what it says:
    63mm 3.7v automatic battery
    Black, white and chrome available
    42 day warranty (from day of purchase)
    1.5 hours to charge
    1.5-5 hours of use
    last for 8 weeks plus before needing 
    replaced.

Unless you're a very light user (and if you were smoking 30 analogues a day, that's unlikely) - you will probably get about 2-3 hours use out of each battery. So both batteries wouldn't last a full day - and you're likely to end up with no battery charged fairly often.

Unless you're very worried about keeping the battery small, I'd go for anywhere between 900 -1300mAh batteries. One of those should last you a full day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

rodrob111 wrote: »

Not sure if you have looked at Totally Wicked yet...

try this
    http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/products/tornado-tank-ecig/tornado-tank-e-nic-kit-black-product.html

with this

http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/products/smoky-clearo-carto-mizers/cartomizers/510-triple-coil-xl-cartomisers-3-pack-product.html

this
    http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/products/smoky-clearo-carto-mizers/cartomizers/tornado-mega-dual-coil-cartomiser-15ohm-product.html

and a couple of these

http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/products/tornado-tank-ecig/tornado-e-nic-mega-1000mah-manual-2-2-product.html

I'm not mad about triple coils for throat hit - kills the batteries as they really should be on 5v. Better increasing the PG content, thought increased PG reduces vapour.

Two Mega Dual Coil with two 1000mah batts is enough for a 20-30 a day smoker to keep going all day. I carry the original 600mah as backups just in case. So far never been left stranded.

Ok, if you go for the above you get tanks as well which is good for variety. If you don't like tanks you can build your own kits from the website

2x usb charger. USB to mains adapter optional

1x 600mah + 2x 1000mah batts

3x dual coil mega cartomizers

juice.

dilutants PG, VG or PEG400 optional, as is the carry case but they're worth it

p.s. in black or platinum it looks like you're smoking a cigar but who cares, it's all about performance.

Advertisement