Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E71 Vs E72?

• 12-01-2010 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me a quick run down on which is the better of the two, and if either is worth buying?

Relative is pushing me for advice, and im not as up on these things as i was.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

I recently to purchase of an E72. I never had the E71, but after looking at the specs, its the next step up, its kinda been tightened, speeded up and spec'd up. Its a nice phone, very business orientated, but can be used for all normal social stuff:

Facebook
    Twitter
    Gmail
    Web (Full)
    etc

Calls are great, but I've heard of some issues with a few phones, could be hit and miss!

Not too big, fits nicely in the hand/pocket. About the size of an iPhone (ish!) :rolleyes:

Hope some of this simple info helps!

DG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

I have them both, though my e71 has some water damage.

E71 is pretty mch exactly the size of an iphone.

E72 has better cam and much better sound from the musicplayer + a standard 3.5mm earphone socket.

On paper the 72 is much faster processorwise but tbh in reality the e71 is not far behind. Builtwise the 71 is much better. Everything feels sturdier and looks sleekerand more 'finished'. Tbh, imho the 72 is less of an upgrade of the e71 than an odd mix of e63 and e71 with some bonus features thown in. I also find the e72's optical dpad annoying. Yes, you can disable it but then the camera's autofocus doesn't work anymore.
    i also find the integration of Nokia's new email client a bit hit and miss...it looks good and when it works it works well, but once you have to change settings it's very non-intuitive.

There's more...but the main differences are really the better camera and the excellent musicplayer sound in the e72. If those 2 aren't important, I'd definitely go with an e71! It's now cheaper, sturdier, sleeker, plus: some s60 apps that work well on e71 are not available yet for e72! (e71 is on firmware 4 now while there is NO fw update for e72 yet!!!)

one other thing: where the e72's extra processor power shows is when I edit huge lists of tracks...the e71 struggels occasionally when editing playlists and adding tracks from 2,000+ songs on the memory card. The e72 has a bit less lag in situations like that. But again: the e71 is competent eneough. It didn't win sh*tloads of awards for nothing, and somehow I don't see the e72 winning accolades. It's great, sure. But it's not a giant step up, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Hey OP,

What does you relative want from his/her phone? This is important when considering one of these two phones.

Will it be used for business or leisure(social networks/music) mainly..If the former then this is suitable because after all its in the E series which is business oriented. And if the latter I would strongly advise against it..

It's music play can be awkward to access/use when out and about..A phone from the N series (Entertainment) would probably suit you better.

I'd also like to add that I bought a HTC Hero on Meteor about 2 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. It integrates really well into social networks and multimedia features are great.. It's the closest things you can get to an iPhone <awaits flames:cool:> IMHO and it's a steal at €90 from Meteor on€20 per month.

techguy wrote: »
    Hey OP,

What does you relative want from his/her phone? This is important when considering one of these two phones.

Will it be used for business or leisure(social networks/music) mainly..If the former then this is suitable because after all its in the E series which is business oriented. And if the latter I would strongly advise against it..

It's music play can be awkward to access/use when out and about..A phone from the N series (Entertainment) would probably suit you better.

I'd also like to add that I bought a HTC Hero on Meteor about 2 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. It integrates really well into social networks and multimedia features are great.. It's the closest things you can get to an iPhone <awaits flames:cool:> IMHO and it's a steal at €90 from Meteor on€20 per month.

Sorry, mate, but that is nonsense.

I use twitter and my own site excessively with my e71/72 - there are great apps for twitter/FB/etc...there are even P2P/torrent clients...

The e72 has a dedicated audio chipset. It fares fairly well in comparison with ipod/iPhone etc... Yes, the s60 musicplayer doesn't look glam, but it works well. You can type track titles and after 2 letters you get results. You can control player from homescreen.etc etc There's a divx video player available fo free...
    In fact, silly widgets aside, the e-series phones do everything the N-series do. Only better :D

with joiku you can turn the 72/71 into a wifi hotspot. Also, what other 'fun' phone lets you bt a track to a mate's phone while listening to another track while having the browser open, while composing an email and working on a spreadsheet?

Yes, E is for enterprise, but Nokia have always ensured to pack enough allround talent into the e-series. And with the huge leap in audio quality and now a 5mp cam (not the best 5mp on the market, but still...) you'd be hard-pressed to find a better non-touchscreen device. Also, whatever gripes, Nokia at least povide fw updates, and the pc suite and pc connectivity in general is second to none...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Thanks for setting me straight.. I was recalling some things I remember reading about when I was going to buy one last year..

• Advertisement

techguy wrote: »
    Thanks for setting me straight.. I was recalling some things I remember reading about when I was going to buy one last year..

ah well,...
    So much nonsense in many reviews. It's easy to get things wrong-ish.and yeah, the op could be more specific about needs/wants. Who knows, hero or e63 or e52 or or or may all be suitable... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I have my E72 about 48 hours and I'm finding it excellent for my needs - exchange emails, tethering, snapping photos quickly and clearly, great call quality. Agree completely with strecker's thoughts. I had an E71 before this and tbh they both seem to be much of a muchness, the E71 is definitely more solid but the E72 has far superior call quality and runs noticeably quicker. I'm finding the Nokia email client odd but manageable, not really something a very basic user should be trying to fix every so often though.

I haven't used this phone outside of its business elements so I can't comment on stuff like the social networking apps etc but if it's for business I'd totally recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Just to fill out the differences on what the E72 brings ...

Digital compass for use with GPS

Better video capture (VGA vs CIF)

Arguably better keyboard

More up-to-date software out of the box (Feature pack 2)

BanzaiBk wrote: »

I haven't used this phone outside of its business elements so I can't comment on stuff like the social networking apps etc but if it's for business I'd totally recommend it.
    excellent twitter and facebook apps; dito spotify, last.fm etc etc... plus, of course opera mini/opera mobile/skyfire (to watch online videos via server using less data than built-in browser)... if the built-in mp3 player's too lame, you can buy powermp3 for a tenner in ovistore....

both are excellent for work'n'play :)

Advertisement