Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatever happened to Quiznos Sub on Abbeygate St?

Options
  • 12-01-2010 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

You know the one, next door to Subway and next door to Bon Appetito.

I haven't seen that open since before Xmas, maybe even further back.

Does anybody know what happened to it? No notice on door or anything or it......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Col200sx wrote: »
    You know the one, next door to Subway and next door to Bon Appetito.
    Seems to be a location problem :D. I was in there once but prefer Subway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Magnus wrote: »
    Seems to be a location problem :D. I was in there once but prefer Subway.

:D Ya I'd thought alright, "Why are they opening up next door to Subway - they must be excellent subs".

I had it once, was actually pretty tasty, although way smaller for the amount of money compared to Subway.

Is it closed down? Cos they ain't renovating inside anway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Col200sx wrote: »
    :D Ya I'd thought alright, "Why are they opening up next door to Subway - they must be excellent subs".

I had it once, was actually pretty tasty, although way smaller for the amount of money compared to Subway.

Is it closed down? Cos they ain't renovating inside anway

Think they are part of Supermacs now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Ate there once and just didn't like it. It was more expensive then Mc Cambridges/ Subway and felt pretty cramped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Ate there a few times and thought it was far nicer than subway, thought the €5 meal deal was savage...epic sub, fair amount of chips and a drink with free refills..happy out!! Quiznos just doesn't seem the same in Supermacs.. :(..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

I was there a few times- I was a bit clueless about how to order and the girl was a bitchy about it impatient with me, so rather than bother going back I just went to Subway instead. They were pretty interesting subs though, and I like sandwiches toasted like that. The subway toasting is horrid, so I just get normal subs. Tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

What supermacs are they in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

The one in Erye Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Quiznos has much higher quality food than Subway, but the economics and business structure of the place leaves a lot to be desired. Their largest sub is 8" (as opposed to Subway's 12") and that costs about €7 (as opposed to Subway's €5).

But the main thing that bugged me is how stuck they are to their menu. In Subway, you can build your own sandwich by a system similar to an assembly line, where you can pick and choose what you want. It's linear, fast and easy to see what you want. In Quiznos, you either order what's on the menu, or get out. I've been in there about five times and each time asked for what seemed like a simple order, "a brown bread sub with chicken and roast beef". By gawd, the amount of blank stares, arrogant responses to the tone of "but that's not on the menu sir!" and frantic banging on the cash register that ensued was beyond belief. Then when I got the sandwich about 10 minutes later, something was usually wrong. On one occasion, I asked for my usual order and received two separate subs, one with chicken and one with roast beef. They tried to charge me for both of the subs but, in fairness, I stood my ground and refused. The manager was called and she was fairly decent about the situation, giving me both of the sandwiches for the original price I paid.

Just in case anyone detects any bias, I've also been to two separate Dublin branches and encountered the same as above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

In Quiznos, you either order what's on the menu, or get out. I've been in there about five times and each time asked for what seemed like a simple order, "a brown bread sub with chicken and roast beef". By gawd, the amount of blank stares, arrogant responses to the tone of "but that's not on the menu sir!" and frantic banging on the cash register that ensued was beyond belief.

This may explain the general bitchyness. Everyone expects to have it your way and anyone trying to go against that grain is fighting an uphill battle. Am I mixing analogies too much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I actually wandered in for perhaps the second time ever on their last day open - the manager was there and he gave me a free drink 'cause he wouldn't have been able to sell it all anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

This may explain the general bitchyness. Everyone expects to have it your way and anyone trying to go against that grain is fighting an uphill battle. Am I mixing analogies too much?

Haha, that was a colorful way to describe it!

One of the main challenges for a business is to make the product easy, enjoyable and good value for the customer. Quiznos only bothered to tackle the enjoyable (taste-wise) part. I never went back after my first few experiences because every single one of them was a bad experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Well subway aren't the most accommodating in that regard either. Try order the sub of the day with an extra topping and they'll often try to charge you for the full price of the sub.. It's very frustrating trying to explain to staff if they have poor english that they need to key in sub of the day + extra topping as they would do with any other sub..

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

muffinman wrote: »
    Well subway aren't the most accommodating in that regard either. Try order the sub of the day with an extra topping and they'll often try to charge you for the full price of the sub.. It's very frustrating trying to explain to staff if they have poor english that they need to key in sub of the day + extra topping as they would do with any other sub..

the relative person is aware of this particular franchize as i had to complain myself at one stage. he gave me his private number to contact him again if these particular staff are rude again

Advertisement