Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5(4)3(2)1...Go.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Saturday (from memory only)

Squat:
    97.5kgx3x10

Deadlift
    135x3x5

pull-up:
    5kgx3x5

Bench press:
    75kgx8,6,4 (strength absolutely died here)

Seated Row:
    80kgx3x10 (or something)

Curl:
    17.5kgx3x8

Today in Raw

Squat
    122.5kgx6,6,7

s/s Curls

15kgx10,10,12,9

SLDL:
    70kgx3x10 (girp struggling here in right arm after curls)

DB Split squat
    20kg (each leg): 3x10 (tiring!)

Calf raise:
    5x3x10

Leg Raise:

Plank (while squeezing glute)
    10kg x2x40s

Dying with a cold today and delighted I focred myself out.

Training is going well these imo. It was a good decision to cut back to 3 days as ensures there is a consistency to training and I'm not missing sessions here and there. Squatting and benching twice a week also seems to be helping. Was collapsing forward a bit in last set but I think thats remediable and the strength is there. Need to video myself soon on squats as I haven't done that in a while.

Friday morning before work

Bench:
    90kgx4,3,4 (I think?)

Neutral Grip Chin:
    BW +15kg x3x5 (PR)

Seated NG DB OHP
    7.5kgx3x12 (or so)

CG BP:
    65kgx3x8 (I think?)

Tricep pulldown s/s face pull
    6x3x10 s/s 3x3x10

Saturday afternoon (today)

warm-up

Squat:
    100kgx10,10,12 (PR)

Deadlift
    140x3x5 (equal PR)

Pull-up:
    BW+6.25kgx3x5

BOR:
    70kgx3x8

Inverted Row:
    3x5 or something

Bench:
    75kgx5,4,3

Curl:
    17.5kgx3x8

Thoughts

Ate an ungodly amount of sugar between Friday's session and today's. Sessions felt solid enough, although may have hit a bit of plateau bench. Will try 90kg again next week and then move up to 92kg. Squatting felt really solid today. Technique seems good, would love a video of it. Actually thought I had more in the tank in the last set but seemed to die a death towards end, I think I mentally gave up once I went over 10. Deadlift equals a rep PR, not impressive as I've never really focused on the deadlift but I'll take it consider how little I've deadlifted in the last year and how I'm not focusing on it. It was all strength and not technique though in last set so might back off for a while. I'm having trouble recruiting hams/glutes off the floor. I'm not sure if its a mobility or strength issue. Or both. As above, must video. Benching today was pathetic, had nothing in the tank for them although its only been a day since last benching.

Today

mobility warm-up

Left ham was quite tight so foamrolled that as well.

Squat:
    125kgx5,5,6

Second work set below:

SLDL:
    80kgx4x8

Single leg split squat
    20kg KB x3x11

Calf Raise:
    6x3x8

Hanging leg raise:

Plank:
    10kg x2x40s

Thoughts

Squats felt solid. No fear of missing any. I think that might be a rep PR at that weight, with previous one being 125x3x5. Think there is sitll more in me as well. Mobility seems to be coming on (that is from no mobility). Still lots of work to do but tough to find the time with work. Just focus on one problem area at a time.

Not quite sure if I'm right on SLDL. Trying to work on hamstring strength for DLs. Seems to be conflicting thoughts on whether to bend back to increase ROM or keep back flat. I'm keeping back flat at moment. Not a huge ROM with my hamstrings though!

All comments on squat above are welcome.

Yesterday before work:

warm-up - shoulders felt very stiff on dislocates

Bench:
    90kgx3x3

Chin-up:
    BW +15kg - 5,4,3 (poor, last week got 3x5)

Seated DB NG OHP:
    7.5kgx3x12

CGBP:
    50kgx3x10

6x3x10 s/s 3x3x10

Thoughts:

Poor session. Elbows were very sore during bench. It was kind of a dull pain that was worse where triceps inserted into elbows but caused a general dull achy pain thoughout arm. Really sapped energy from grip strength and rest of exercies. From talking to JOE he suggested it could be bar position is to far back in grip and not above forearms allowing forearms to bear pressure. Rather hand is being extended back causing pressure on wrist and elbow. Makes sense to me and will consider it when benching next.

Will probably miss last session of week, have a few very busy/boozy days ahead of me. Liquid bulk is on.

Haven't trained in a week due to a 3 day bender over weekend for various events. Little sleep was had. Anyway, back to it.

Squat
    127.5kgx3x5 (PR)

SLDL:
    80kgx3x8

Split leg squat:
    20kg KBs 3x10

Calf Raise:
    6x3x10

Hanging leg raise:
    3x6

Plank:
    10kg x2x40s

Thoughts
    Squats started out grim. Everything felt heavy, flexibility was weak and hip flexors were screaming at me. However, warm-up and stretching during warm-up sets eased the pain. 3rd set was by far the strongest, all reps solid. Could have got at least another rep but left it where it was. Might stay at this weight next week as form could have been better on other sets, although depth was fine.

Rest of session was standard enough.

• Advertisement

Friday AM

Bench:
    92.5kgx3x2
    80kg

Neutral Grip Chin-up:
    15x3x5

Seated NG DB OHP
    7.5kg x3x10

CGBP:
    60kgx3x8

6x3x10 s/s 3x3x10

Today

Pull-up:
    5kgx3x6

Inverted Row:
    3x5 (or something crap)

Bench:
    75kgx8,7,6

BOR:
    70kgx3x8

Curl:
    17.5kgx3x7

Squat:
    100kgx3x10 (PR)

Today was a serious bitch session until squats at end. Was rushing in the gym so dropped deadlifts and put squats at end as I didn't want squats to take up whole sessions. Squats were pretty tough as was still catching breath starting each set because I was so tight for time.

Bench hasn't felt very strong last week or two. Will drop weight on heavy session and work up again. Benching is also tough after back though, shows how much you incorporate it.

Tonight

Squat:
    127.5kgx5,5,6 (PR)

SLDL:
    82.5kgx3x8

Bench s/s Calf Raise:
    70kgx3x8 s/s 6x3x8,8,11

Split squat KB:
    20kgx3x10

Hanging leg raise:
    BWx3x6

Thoughts:

Squats were tough but solid. Depth felt nice and deep. Only flaw was upper back was a bit loose on first set. Will move up to 130kg next week.

Decided to light bench after squats instead of at weekend session of squat/deadlift/back because (1) it cuts down on length of other session, (2) its better spread out from heavy bench and (3) I'm not knackered from back exercises. Bench still felt crazy heavy though for some reason. Really focued on squeezing scaps and engaging lates.

Quick update

Friday AM

Bench
    82.5kg x3x6 (I think, not sure)

Chin-up:
    15kgx5,5,4

Seated DB OHP

CGBP

Sunday

Squat
    Pull-up:
    3x7

100kgx10,10,12 (PR)

Seated Row

Chins/pull ups

Curls

Today

Squats s/s Curls
    130kgx5,5,6 (PR) s/s 15kgx3x20

SLDL:
    85kgx3x8

Split KB Squat:
    20kgx3x10 (each leg)

Calf Raise s/s Hanging leg raise
    6x3x10 s/s BWx6,5,5 (lost grip on HLR)

Thoughts

Very happy with squats today. I was a bit apprehensive on weight but was very solid, even got an extra rep at end as I wasn't sure on number of reps (but someone else confirmed it was 6). Depth was very good on all reps. Had some randomer complimenting squats after first set which is usually a good sign. This see-food diet is working out well!

Should be on course to hit 150 next test which give me 1.75 BW squat with room to spare.

Haven't logged one or two sessions and didn't train from last Thursday until today as was away travelling.

Tonight

warm-up

Squats (s/s Curls - 17.5kgx3x8)
    warm up
    100kgx2
    *belt*
    110kgx2
    120kgx1
    130kgx1
    140kgx1
    145kgx1 (2.5 kg PR)
    150kgx1 (7.5 kg PR) (1.75 BW squat)

SLDL
    85kgx3x8

Calf Raise s/s Leg Raise
    6x3x8 s/s BWx3x6

Thoughts:
    After boozy few days, had no appetite for rep work so decided to try a few singles. Knew I was in PR territory based on 3x5 numbers but happy to get it all the same. 145kg rep was very solid. Depth on 150 was good but I almost lost it forward but managed to recover, I think I have a better rep in me on 150 but will drop weights and continue looking to move up. 150 also represents a nice milestone in terms of BW percentages.

Not much time for anything after that.

This evening

warm-up

Squats:
    *belt* - if you could call it that.
    130kgx4,3,2 (+1 spotter assist)

SLDL:
    80kgx3x8

Split Squat KB:
    20kgx3x10 (lost balance few times on last set so not great)

Hanging Leg Raise s/s Seated Calf Raise
    BW x3x6 s/s 40kgx3x10

Thoughts

Fairly soft on the squats. Was just not feeling it. Forgot my belt so had to resort to using one of RAW's communal "belts". Belt is the right word, would be more appropriate holding up my jeans and couldn't even get tight enough. May have contributed to crap squats but can't blame them really, intensity on squats has fallen off last 2 weeks and I haven't been doing my "high rep" session because crap has got in way. Need to man up.

Anyway, over last few while have been eating a fair bit and bulk up, have fallen into bad food habits that I'm going to kick so going "cut" for until early December (as much as I can with NY at end of November). Will weigh myself tomorrow and figure out my calories. Might look into intermittent fasting but may not fit in with my work schedule as I'll often be in work for the duration of my eating window.

• Advertisement

Haven't logged in a while but still training away and its going reasonably well. Posting deadlift video for future reference (and any comments).

I have deadlifted very little in the last 18 months but have started doing it again. Form was a bit soft last time but I've tighten it up I think. Only thing to watch now is I have tendency to favour right side when fatiguing which causes a niggle in lower back. As long as I lift evenly that is avoided.

Still fairly light weights at the moment, particulary as I train in morning. Video is only 120KGx5 (BW 1.5) so is still quite light (doesn't feelt that light though!)

I'm just logging occassional deadlift videos as I gradually get back into weight. I'm adding 2.5kg each week. I'm trying to maintain reasonable strict form without a belt.

Tuesday AM:

Deadlift 130kg x5,5,6 - Second two sets are below.

Any comments welcome. My only thoughts are that weight might be shifting onto balls a bit much. Heels are still on the ground though.

Just bumping this as I want to start logging again for the next 2 months work permitting while I try a reasonably strict bulk. More detailed posts to follow.

Still in work so update will have to wait. I suspect this will be a feature of the log!

The following is from memory.

WEDNESDAY EVENING: DYNAMIC LOWER BODY

Box squat into box jump

Red box: 8x5 (30s rest)

Elevated DB Bulgarian Split Squat

14kg x 10,10,15

Pull-through

Plate 31 - 15,15, 20

DB Side bend:

22kg x 3x15

Lying Leg Curl:

Plate 35 - 20,15,20

Protein - 178g

THURSDAY MORNING: REPITITION UPPER BODY

Scap circuit

A1 - Barbell bench:

60kg - 15,15,12

B1 - Lat Pulldown

40 - 12,12,12,20

B2 - DB Scarecrows
    2kg -4x10

No rest between sets

C1 - Behind next barbell Shurg
    60kg 3x12

C2 - DB Curl
    12kg 3x10

No rest between sets

D1 - L-Raises
    4kg - 10,10,8,8

E1 - BB Fat Grip
    30kg x45s,45s,45s

Gym was closed on Saturday due to plumbing issues and couldn't make it to next nearest gym before Ireland game. Was annoyed to miss my usual Saturday morning session.

10 February, Sunday Evening – Max Effort Lower Body

Deadlift:
    155Kg x 6 (increase by 5kg next week)

Reverse Lunge:
    70kg x 3x10

GHR (lat machine):
    3x10

Ab circuit:
    Sprint sit-ups
    V-up
    Toe touches
    3x14 reps each (2 minute rest)

Will try and film deadlift's next week to check on form. Was very annoyed to miss gym on Saturday which is a good sign.
    Was meant to go gym this morning as well but had alarm difficulties, not too busy in work so should be able to make it in the evening.

Monday, 10 February - Max Effort Upper Body

Bench

95kgx5
    95kgx4(+1 assisted)

Neutral Grip Chin-up

BWx 17,10 - 180s rest, dead hang etc

Seated Cable Row s/s Band pull apart

27kg e/s x10,10,8 s/s Band 1 3x10

Barbell Shrug
    70kgx4x12

EZ Curl
    EZ Bar + 17.5kg x12,12,10

Thoughts

Good, strong session. Great the difference extra calories are making. Bench is going well. Went for a second bench set as felt I held back on first as I was benching in squat rack without safety bars (pin height doesn't work for me). Chins are solid too, 20 reps may be on the cards soon.

Tuesday 11 February 2014 - Dynamic Lower Body

Seated Box Jump on Boxes

Green and blue box: 8x3 +2

Elevated Split Squat

16kg DB 3x10

Pull through

Plate 31 - 12, 12, 20

Side DB Bend

22kg 3x15

Leg Curl

Plate 35 20, 17, 12

Pull-ups

BWx15

Thoughts

Decent session once I got in the gym. Not sure how benefical dynamic pylo stuff is but the rest of work-out is getting pretty tough. Split squats have me in bits afterwards. Leg curls are my own addition as my hamstrings could use some focus.

Threw in some pull-ups randomly to see where I was. Probably not a good idea the day after max effort chin ups but good return.

Thursday, 13 February: Repitition Upper Body

Shoulder and Scap warm-up

A1) Bench

60kg x15,15,14

B2) L Lateral Raise

4kg x10,10,10,12

C1) Straight Arm pull down

plate 18 x 12,12,12,20

C2) Band pull apart

Red band 4x10

D1) Behind the neck Shurg

62.5kg x10,10,8

D2) DB Curl

12kg 3x10

E1) Fat Grip Hold

30kg x 50s, 40s, 40s

Thoughts

Substituted straight arm pulldown for lat machine as the latter was occupied. Never tried them before but enjoyed them, might sub them in for a few weeks. The Shurg/Curl combo is an absolute killer on grip - serious pump.

Saturday - Max Effor Lower Body

Deadlift

160kgx5
    160kgx1

Reverse Lunge

70kg x 3x10

GHR

BWx10,10,9

Ab Circuit
    3x10 1:45 rest in between

Thoughts
    Will throw video of deadlift up later. Filmed it for a form check as I haven't done so in a while.

Reverse lunges are pretty brutal. Always knackered by the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,602 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Just curious...why do you go for the reverse lunges ahead of forward lunges?

Because westside doesn't give a forward lunge option afaik. I do split squats on other days though.

I really like them though, they hit the glutes like nothing else I've found.

I would've thought the forward lunges hit the glutes harder. But just the mechanics suggest forwards work you harder with the deceleration portion and pushing back up off the front leg. Then again, I've never tried the reverse version..

Lunges are great though...in a masochistic kinda way. Last time I did them after a long break from them, I tried to jog across the road after the workout and almost collapsed with glutitis horribilis.

I think the difference is ascribed to the fact that you push off your front foot with forward lunges but with your back foot on reverse lunges.

I'm already feeling glute DOMS.

Ugh. Enjoy that :-D

Enjoying the log, not least 'cause I'm considering WS4SB as the post-Madcow programme.

Thanks, good to know I'm not the only one who read this. How much longer those Madcow run for? I'll be running WS4SB until at least the end of March and possibly longer given there is so much scope to mix things up in it.

Madcow is 12wks but if i'm progressing, I'll stay at it. That said, the OHP is stalling. Partly because something isn't right with my shoulders but nothing was picked up when I went to sort it out although an MRI was suggested. It eases up when I avoid OHPs so I might sub something in and keep going. We'll see. But deadlift, squat, bench and barbell rows are going nicely after 7 wks so there's scope to improve a lot or scope to feel a lot of pain and failure by week 12. Time will tell. But I like the layout of WS4SB so keep the gainz making and I'll consider it properly :)

SUNDAY 16 FEBRUARY: MAX EFFORT UPPER BODY

Scap warm-up

A1) Bench Press
    97.5kgx1
    97.5kgx5 (all tainted with spotter assistance)

B1) Chin-up

BW x18,10 (180s rest)

C1) Seated Chest Supported Row

70kgx4x12

C2) Black Band pull apart

4x10

D1) BB Shrug

75kgx 12,12,10,10

E1) EZ Curl

Bar + 20kg x12,12,8

Thoughts
    Didn't feel great before work-out and still feel dodgy so think I have a touch of something mild. Bench was a complete disaster. Bar path on first set/rep was completely off so knackered myself just trying to get one rep as I had no spotter or pins. Did another set with a spotter who wouldn't take his hand off the bar. Got maybe three clean reps in the middle when he realised I could actually lift the weight but not going to count any of them. Will go for same weight again next week.

Tuesday, 18 February: Dynamic Lower Body

Box Jump

Red + Green Box - 8x3 30s

Bulgarian Split Squat - front foot elevated

18kg DB - 10, 10, 8

Pull through

Plate 38 - 12,12,15

DB side Bend

24kg x15,15,12

Back Extension

BW x20,20,15

Thoughts

Popped out this evening to gym before heading back into work. Just finished now. Serious pump session. The split squats gave me the worse pump of my life, of any body part. Was seriously dodgy walking around after them and genuine risk of buckled leg. Manged 3x10 on right but only got to 8 reps on last set of left leg.

Side bends were tough but good. Nice to have a core work-out that takes a bit out of you.

Finished up with the back extensions randomly which also gave a serious pump. Tried to do them nice and slow but they still gave more pump than expected. Although I shouldn't be surprised as I haven't done them in yonks. What was intersting was that I had a tendency to favour right side on last few reps on ascent which also presents with deadlift. I thought that this was a compensation thing due to heavy weights but given it shows up on BW back extensions, it could be a motor pattern or mobility issue. Something to note and may try and work exetnsions into programme more to ingrain better movement pattersn.

Will try and get session in in the morning if I can drag myself out of bed.

• Advertisement

Didn't go to gym this but will go later this evening.

Found heights of plyo boxes I used: Small (green) 900 x 750 x 300mm, medium (blue) 900 x 750 x 450mm, large (red) 900 x 750 x 600mm.

Therefore box jumps last night were 35".

Advertisement