Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5(4)3(2)1...Go.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Another bad squat day!

C4W3D4 3 April 2010

warm-up
    glute activation

Squat 127.5kg
    warm-up
    95kgx5
    107kgx3
    These felt quite heavy
    120x0
    Fail. I never had this.
    120x0
    Really thought I'd grind this out but I lost it.

I'll post videos up later.

Quite disappointed day as my 1RM starting 5/3/1 was 125kg and I've failed on 120kgx1. Squats have definitely had the raw end of the deal with this. They always fall on the weekends where I eat poorly and too little, go out or rush my workout. I think I need to re-assess and move this to a weekday.

Good morning
    62.5kgx3x10
    These felt solid. Will move up in weight. I really want to work on my lower back and core.

Hanging leg raise
    5x5
    Last two sets were hanging knee raises only.

Back extension
    3x10

warm-down.

C4W4D1 5 April 2010

warm-up:
    jog to the gym
    dynamic stretches

OHP
    25kgx3x5

Chins:
    5x5
    Got these but my left arm/elbow felt crocked after this. Felt quite sore and I lost my curling/gripping strength

Dips:
    2x8
    1x3
    Felt find doing these until last set where elbow issue fecked me up. It was quite sore after this.

I had planned some rowing but left it after the tweak (which felt fine the next day). I skipped the gym yesterday though because of this and I also felt exhausted. Seem to have an allergic reaction around my eyes at the moment which is annoying me and possible causing me to be run down. I've no idea what is causing it but its like two raw rings around my eyes.

Shoulders /lower back are feeling tight so must remember to foam roll them.

Undecided about what I'll do about the missed squat. I think I'll leave the weight the same for the next cycle and focus on tightening up my core and hitting parallel. I think sometimes I go too deep which is varying my squat output.

Just realised today that the day I failed on my squats above, I had the weight about 7.5kg too high. I definitely would not have missed at the correct weight. I had been using my deadlift weight by mistake. D'oh! I've kept my squat weight the same this cycle all the same. Better too low than too high.
    I've moved squats to first in week so its a week day where I eat/sleep better. I'm going to sort out my weekend diet from now on too.

C5W1D1

Warm-up
    BW squats
    shoulder dislocates
    bird dogs
    dynamic stretches

squat 120.75kg

77.5kgx5

90kgx5

102.5kgx10

I filmed my squats front on for the first time to check my stance. I did because, quite frankly, cardio's vids had be worried that I had any weakness as glaring his!

I'm not sure if is the angle (the mirror and rack are a slight angle) but my right side (my stronger leg) seems to drop slightly quicker than my left. I'm not 100% this is the angle or my form. Any suggestions on what causes this.

102.5kgx10 was tough but felt good - nice and steady.

65kgx5x10 - all BBB to go up each cycle. Think I've slacked off on these a bit lately.

SLDL
    65kgx3x10 - move up slightly
    getting nice and tough

Hanging leg raise
    3x5 - legs to head height
    2x5 - knee raises
    Still awful at these but getting better. Seem to hit upper legs more than abs. I really want to work on my core strength now.

warm-down.

Long and decent session (had to wait a while for rack).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

Im fairly useless at critiquing other peoples form, but they look pretty spot on to me

Thanks podge, I am happy enough with them too, I'm only nit-picking really.

• Advertisement

C5W1D2

warm-up:
    walk to the gym
    shoulder dislocate
    face pull

OHP 48.25kg
    warm-up
    31.5kgx5
    35kgx5
    41.5kgx8 (maybe 9)
    50x0 - way too soon attempting this after set!
    Not happy with work sets, I've done better. I think I was a little lack with my form/grip. Not sure how much leeway I have with back lean/arch.

25kgx5x10
    Found fourth set very tough but fifth was fine.

My right shoulder blade was really tight after these (and still is). There were no small med balls to try and loosen it out afterwards. Its quite uncomfortable.

Chins:
    3x5
    1x4
    1x3 (or 4)

I'm going nowhere fast with my chin-ups. Debating switching to 3x5 and adding weight.

Dips:
    BW+5kg 3x8
    Happy with these. I've switch back to DB between legs as my back was offset during sets. This was a grinder so will stick.

warm-down:
    only foam rolling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Sangre wrote: »
    C

Chins:
    3x5
    1x4
    1x3 (or 4)

I'm going nowhere fast with my chin-ups. Debating switching to 3x5 and adding weight.

I am actually wondering that myself, decided to make sure i did 5x5 even if it meant stopping in the last sets but i wonder if i would be better going 3 x 5 with weights.

Just realised 120kg squat attempt (that I shouldn't have done) that I didn't get would have been a PR. The mix up with the weight made me forget my PR was 117.5kg. Less annoyed about it now.

C5W1D1

warm-up
    foam rolling legs
    dynamic stretch
    bird dogs

Deadlift

warm-up - WW weights are very wobbly on low weights - annoying
    85kgx5
    100kgx5 - heavy enough!
    112.5kgx8 (and one more slightly hitched at end)
    Happy with these. I think made back/core is becoming my weak spot.

70kgx5x10
    These were extremely tough.

Good morning
    20kgx1x10
    40kgx3x10
    Dropped weight and worked on range of motion. Felt better and will work on these. Will use SLDL for heavy hamstring work.

Back extension
    3x10

warm-down:
    lots of painful foam rolling. incorporated a few new techniques
    stretches

Tough but solid session. Eddie Rockets before hand might have helped! Felt lighted headed at times though.
    I am actually wondering that myself, decided to make sure i did 5x5 even if it meant stopping in the last sets but i wonder if i would be better going 3 x 5 with weights.

I dunno. I want to avoid doing too much heavy work on assistance. I think ideally I'd do some high rep band-assisted chins but I don't have a suitable band. Will try low weighted chins at 3x5 for a while though.

Mini break with trip down to Limerick and return to college for 2 months- off to Italy tomorrow as well for rugby trip so a bit disrupted at the moment.

warm-up
    squats
    stretch
    face pulls

bench 86kg
    warm-up
    55kgx5
    64kgx5
    72.5kgx8
    47.5kgx3x10

Row
    42.5kgx3x10 - move up next time

Incline DB BP
    20kg - 10, 7, 6 - better form - make sure lockout

Seated row
    57.5kgx3x5 - first time doing these as rowing had stalled. liked them

warm-down

Back from Italy rugby trip - training all over place last 2 weeks.

C5W2D1

warm-up
    walk to gym
    dyn stretch

squat 120.75kg
    warm-up
    85kgx3
    96.5kgx3
    107.5kgx6 - pretty decent considering I'm very tired and training is all over place

SLDL
    67.5kgx3x10 - move up small

Hanging leg raise
    who knows - all over place

warm-down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭gnolan

Can you tell me how much you paid for WW membership and what you get out of it? I know theres tennis courts up there too, thats why i'm wondering. My TF membership is up soon and might be looking for a change of venue.

Cheers

Been off the boil last 3 weeks with two long weekend trips away of heavy drinking. Hopefully I'm back to normal now. Just put in a protein/creatine order so I hope to start using CEE for a trial.

C5W2D2 5 May 2010

warm-up

OHP 48.25kg
    warm-up
    32.5kgx3
    37.5kgx3
    42.5kgx8
    25kgx5x10

Can anyone tell me how important form is with the OHP? As I fatigue my I will lean back slightly and my back becomes more arched.

Chin up
    5kg 1x5
    2.5kg 1x5, 1x4 - stick with 2.5kg next week
    Going to stick with weighted chins for a while

Dips
    5kg - 8, 7, 3
    Pretty crap - effects of drink/gym lay-off maybe

warm-down

C5W2D3 6 May 2010

warm-up:
    lots of dynamic stretches
    glute activation

DL 132.5kg
    warm-up
    92.5kgx3
    105kgx3
    119kgx6
    70kgx5x10
    Happy enough with last set. I started 5/3/1 with a max of 125kg.

Good morning:
    20kgx2x10
    40kgx3x10
    Just working on flexibility

Back extension:
    5kgx3x10 - stay same

warm-down:
    stretches and foam rolling
    gnolan wrote: »
    Can you tell me how much you paid for WW membership and what you get out of it? I know theres tennis courts up there too, thats why i'm wondering. My TF membership is up soon and might be looking for a change of venue.

Cheers

Hey gnolan. I get a student rate (while working - ha) and its €55/month. Think there was a sign-up fee of about 80 as well. I don't really use anything except the free weights/stretch area and the sauna.

If you were just using free weights I'd stick with TF as you'd get the same set-up for cheaper. WW benefits are its other facilities and its posher/cleaner look. The pool/sauna set-up is better I think although I never used it in TF.

C5W2D4 8 May 2010

warm-up

Face-pull:
    20kgx3x10

Bench 86kg
    warm-up
    60kgx3
    69kgx3
    77.5kgx5
    Very happy I gort last rep
    47.5kgx5x10
    Got quite slow in last set

Row
    45kgx2x10
    45kgx1x10
    Was using a new York fitness bar and I hated it. I thought it was way too wide.

Incline BP
    42.5kgx3x10
    Move up 1.5kg

Seated Row
    61kgx5
    61kgx4
    57.5kgx5
    This was supersetted with face pulls: 27kgx3x8

warm-down
    I was quite stiff so lots of foam rolling and stretching

C5W3D1

warm-up
    BW squats and lunges
    foam rolling
    glute activation

Squat 120.75kg
    warm-up
    90kgx5
    102.5kgx3
    115kgx5 - PR
    65kgx5x10
    Best squat session in a long time. 115x5 is a huge PR for me considering my 1rm PR is 117.5kg. They all felt really solid with good depth. I concentrated on getting tight through out and that seemed to help. BBB was quite easy as well.

SLDL
    70kgx3x10
    This was quite tough and I'll keep this the same. Need tomake sure I don't bounce at the bottom

Ab pull
    27kgx3x10
    Just trying this out. Think I'll keep it.

warm-down:
    lots of rolling and stretches

Haven't updated this in a while so I'll try to keep it brief

C5W3D2

OHP 48.25kg 11 May
    35kgx5
    41.5kgx3
    46.5kgx5 - check if arching too much
    25kgx5x10 - very tough

Chin up
    BW+2.5kg 3x5 - barely and same again

Dip
    BW+5kg 3x8 - tough and same again

Ab pulldown
    Mess around at 60kg - keep again

C5W3D3 13 may

Deadlift 132.5kg
    100kgx5
    112.5kgx3
    125kgx2
    135kgx0
    135kgx1
    145kgx2x0 - nearly had lock-out on 2nd
    Very poor (previous PR was 150kg) and these felt too tough. Had a terrible back pump in warm up though and hopefully the work sets just took it out of me

Good morning:
    40kgx3x10 - just stretching

Back extension:
    5kgx3x10 - move up small

C5W3D4

Bench 86kg 15 may
    65kgx5
    72.5kgx3
    81.5kgx4 ( and one assisted) - I actually had to tell spotter to let go at the top of a rep mid set even after explaining it to him
    47.5kgx5x10

Row
    45kgx3x10 - move up small - this felt better when pulling to abs and not chest

Incline BP
    44kgx3x10 - move up small

Seated Row:
    57.5kgx3x5- last set tough - stay same and pick wider grip
    superstted with
    Face Pull:
    27kgx3x10

Skipped de-load week because of crap gym attendance last while due to trips away. For the record I've started taking CEE on or around 14 May 2010

C6W1D1 17 May 2010

warm-up
    BW squats
    lunges
    dynamic stretch
    glute activation

squat 125.75kg
    warm-up
    80kgx5
    95kgx5
    106.5kgx8 - prob should have tried one more
    70kgx5x10
    BBB was quite easy although there was a small doubt about my depth (which was still decent). My tighten form may have helped wrists have been killing me lately with squats with me dramatically changing anything. I've tried to keep my chest tight and rest it higher up on by back.
    Got a bad back pump from squats which never usually happens - may be because I've slacked on my hip stretching

SLDL
    70kgx3x10
    Tough again - need to watch form. Bit of a back pump

Ab pulldown
    61kgx3x10
    Felt good - going to keep these. Move up weight a bit.

warm-down:
    lots of foam rolling and stretching lower body

Overall, not too happy with session

C6W1D2

OHP 50.75kg
    warm-up
    32.5kgx5 (or 6)
    37.5kgx5
    42.5kgx11
    27.5kgx5x10
    On BBB focused on keeping grip closer and elbows under the bar. This felt much easier than last week on 25kg. Wonder if its the creatine, the form, increased strength or a combination

Chin up:
    BW+2.5kg - 5, 5, 4.99
    I did these from a complete hanging start (as opposed to a platform) so they're a small bit tougher

Dip:
    BW+5kg 3x8
    Tough at end but I'll move up a small amount

Lots of foam rolling and stretching - was dripping in sweat during this. I find rolling very tough when my arms are wrecked form the work out. Shoulders feel knotted lately but couldnt get at them with a roller.

C6W1D3 21 May

Deadlift 137.5kg
    90kgx5
    102.5kgx6
    116.5kgx8
    I need to watch my knees on the heavy sets, they wobble unless I watching them. I skipped BBB as I was tight for time.

Good morning
    20kgx20
    40kgx3x10
    More working on flexibility

Back extension
    7.5kgx3x10 - keep same

C6W1D4 23 May

Bench 88.5kg
    57.5kgx5
    65kgx5
    75kgx7 (+1 very lightly assisted)
    50kgx3x10 - grand
    I actually have no idea what my last set was for reps, lost count as I was put off my bar hitting off safety pins once or twice. Numbers are what spotters said. Not amazing rep numbers.

BOR
    47.5kgx3x10
    Few pauses on last reps. Might move up to 50kg to use the larger plates

Incline BP
    45kgx3x10 - move up small

Bicep DB curl
    11kgx3x10
    Think I'll start some bicep work on overhead press day

I'm going to test all my maxes after this cycle. I want to see how I've progress and to test how 5/3/1 is working for me. I'm getting slightly bored, especially of BBB.

Side note, BBB seems easier these days even though weights are going up. I wonder if it might be the creatine, which doesn't seem to have much effect on heavy lifts.

Out of the gym for a day or two longer than planned due to various things.

C6W2D1

warm-up:
    dynamic stretches
    BW squats
    glute activation

Squat 127.5kg
    warm-up
    90kgx3
    102.5kgx3
    115kgx6
    70kgx3x10
    Wrists are really killing for some reason when squatting. Maybe a lack of shoulder stretching since I lost my band has contributed. Tried a non-thumbless grip during BBB which seemed to help keeping me upright. Next week is 120kg and will be a PR as long as I even get 1 rep.

SLDL
    70kgx3x10 - move up small
    Starting to feel these in hammys

Ab Pulldown
    63.5kgx3x10 - stay same
    Need to watch form and make sure my abs are doing the work

Warm-down
    stretching - should have done some rollign too

Overall, a decent session. Found myself out of breath a lot during it though which is a bit unusual. Getting a bit sick of BBB.

C6W2D2

warm-up:
    not much really

OHP 50.75kg
    warm-up
    35kgx3
    40kgx3
    45kgx8 - happy with this
    27.5kgx5x10 - tougher than last week

Chin-up:
    BW+2.5kgx3x5 - move up very small

Dip:
    BW+6.25kgx3x8 - move up small

Face pull:
    23kgx3x8

DB Curl:
    11kgx3x10 - move up small

OHP is going well at the moment, I'm looking forward to testing my max after this cycle. Must video my form someday though.

• Advertisement

Think I'll wander down to the gym... I love being out of the office! Just picked up some Chuck Taylor's for the gym to replace my €3 canvas shoes. Only cost about €35. Heel is thick enough so might lose them for DLing today. Also picked up a replacement band and a small med ball for my shoulders.

C6W2D2 31 May

Warm-up

Deadlift 137.5kg
    warm up

95kgx3

110kgx3

I found the 110kg set heavy enough. I thought I'd be fecked for me last set. I ditched the cons for this as the sole is too high.

122.5kgx7

Thought I completely missed this and wasn't getting 1. You can see me swearing after a miss lift on the first one. Happy with the set though. 125kg had been my starting weight for 5/3/1. A part of me actually thinks I had 125kg on the bars, I can't really tell from the vid though.

Good morning:
    20kgx2x10
    40kgx3x10

I think this is the 2nd 40kg set:

Not very deep on these.

Back extension:
    7.5kgx3x10 - move up small

Warm-down:
    just a few lower stretches

All comments welcome.

Edit - I'm still leaning back quite far at the top of my pulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

on the deadlifts your re-bending your knees at the top, and leaning back too far. other than they're grand.

and you should bend your knees slightly on good mornings. nice lifting.

I'll have to keep an eye on my lean and my knees at the top of my pulls. It never feels like I lean that much during it. Thanks.

Exrx notes that knees should not be bent. I would be able to get deeper though if I bent them slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

I'll have to keep an eye on my lean and my knees at the top of my pulls. It never feels like I lean that much during it. Thanks.

Exrx notes that knees should not be bent. I would be able to get deeper though if I bent them slightly.
    they should be bent slightly, i use the same bend as i use for sldl, its never a safe idea to lock your knees when bending with weight.

they should be bent slightly, i use the same bend as i use for sldl, its never a safe idea to lock your knees when bending with weight.
    Thats how I orginally did them but changed to how I was doing them now. I'll revert back and see how I get on, thanks.

C6W2D3 1 June 2010

warm-up:
    walk to gym
    shoulder activation
    dy. stretching

Bench 88.5kg
    warm-up
    61.5kgx3
    70kgx3
    80kgx7
    50kgx5x10
    Decent enough. Although I don't think my bench max has gone up much.

BOR
    50kgx3x8 - move up slightly
    Switched to 8 reps to work on a heavier weight - will stick with this.

Incline BP
    44kgx3x10 - move up

Warm-down:
    back and hamstring FRing
    stretching
    Copped out of the above two a bit.

Walk home.

Edit: I've half decided to lean up as I'll probably be on holidays in a month. I'm not fat but I could definitely de-soften. My diet has been terrible since I'm out of the office. Its a exam month so we'll have to see how this pans out!

Man, I fall out of habits really easy. Having no work/college is not conducive to eating right or training for me!

Anyway, going to hit the gym now for some squat PRs.

Man, I fall out of habits really easy. Having no work/college is not conducive to eating right or training for me!

Anyway, going to hit the gym now for some squat PRs.
    I was right with the PR anyway. I wussed out of this session yesterday as I felt too wrecked for heavy squats.

C6W3D1 5 June

warm-up
    15 min walk to gym
    dynamic stretching
    glute activation

Squat 127.75kg
    warm-up

95kgx5

107.5kgx3

This felt quite tough actually, you can see the reps aren't exactly quick.

121.5kgx3 PR

This is a big PR. 121.5kg was the heaviest I've ever had on the bar so 3 reps was great. Recently I tried 120kg by mistake twice and failed on both (I knew it was 120 but I shouldn't have tried to lift in on that cycle). They all felt solid to me, even if the last one was slow!

70kgx5x10 - had to convince myself to do these after the PR.

Good morning:
    71.5kgx3x10
    First and third sets are below, respectively:

Ab pulldown:
    61kgx3x10
    Need to make sure I've form right in these. I deffo felt it in my abs though today.

Warm-down:
    quick lower body stretch
    walk home

Overall, good but long session especially with the 15min walk to and from the gym.

C6W3D3 8 June

warm-up:
    shoulders

OHP 50.75
    warm-up
    37.5kgx5
    42.5kgx3
    47.5kgx6
    Last set was tough, got a crap angled video of it. I was making it more difficult for myself because I was letting the bar get away from me a bit on the descent. I sorted this out in the BBB

50kgx1 - why not? was a grinder but a PR nonetheless. Definitely more in the tank as the work sets took it out of me.

27.5kgx5x10 - last set was **** and form was crap

Chin-up:
    BW+2.5kg - 6,5,5 - barely on last set. CUs aren't moving up much I think because my weight has been going up

Dips:
    7kg -8,8,7
    My first dip always feels awkward on my left elbow and then it feel finds during the set. Weird.

EZ curl
    30kgx3x5

• Advertisement

Man I've been really poor with gym and everything last week or two.

Advertisement