Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5(4)3(2)1...Go.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

31 August 2010

warm-up:
    cycle to gym
    shoulder loosening
    scap pushups/dislocates band

BOR:
    55kg -8,8,7 - stick same

Bench
    20kgx2x5
    40kgx3x5
    60kgx2x3
    70kgx2x1
    75kgx3x5
    More work on my form. I'm struggling to keep the tightness in my traps through-out the work sets. However, when the reps do feel solid when it clicks and I can tell this will pay off. Set was tough enough, increase weight.

Pull-up:
    5,5,6 - increase 3x6
    First two sets were with crap PU bar with moving grip and slightly wider than I prefer.

Incline:
    50kgx3x5
    Left shoulder is starting to feel quite a bit weaker than right, it has felt odd on this lift for a while. Think I'll start some decline work to compliment new benching and maybe throw in some decline DB work.

DB Curl:
    15kg - 9,9,5 - same.

UB stretching
    cycle home

2 September 2010

warm-up:
    hip mobility
    glute activation

Squat
    BWx20
    20kgx10
    40kgx2x8
    60kgx2x5
    80kgx2x3
    100kgx1x1
    109kgx3x5

Wussed out just doing 110, pathetic. Work set was tough but I was always getting it, depth was quite good. Wrists are still at me even in warm-up sets, probably need to work on shoulder flexibility. Do band dislocates but probably need some broom work!

SLDL
    80kgx3x8
    Again, fine. Move up. SLDLs are going well.

Back Extension:
    17.5kgx3x8
    Fine, move up to 3x10.

Leg raise:
    Just messing around, stopping each set when ROM is terrible. Slowly improving

Decline sit-up:
    10kgx3x8
    First two sets were on steeper bench, got really sharp pinching sensation in lower back. This has happened before over years. Fine on other bench that is shallower.

warm-down:
    stretch and foam roll.

4 september 2010

warm-up:
    cycle to gym
    lighter shoulder work
    scap push-ups

OHP
    20kgx2x5
    30kgx2x3
    46.5k -5,5,1,5
    Last set was fairly messy but got through it. I had to re-do last set because felt quite light headed after first rep. move up to 47.5kg. Keep working on tight abs/glute - tough to maintain

Decided, probably unwisely, to do some DL singles in light of 170 thread to see where I am as I haven't tried a 1rm in a while. Wasn't feeling the strongest and was quite tight and domsed from squats the other day but went ahead. Also due to DL for next gym day.

Deadlift:
    60kgx2x5
    80kgx2x3
    100kgx1
    120kgx1
    130kgx1
    140kgx1
    150kgx1 equals PR
    155kgx1 5kg PR
    160kgx1 10kg PR Not pretty!
    165x2xf

Happy enough with that. Left camera at home so couldn't film it. I'm about 83/84kg in the morning (85 now in clothes but full of water and food) so that double-weight DL is getting close. The 160 was not pretty though! Got second attempt at 165 about 5 inches off the ground so I don't think its that far out of my grasp. Will just had to keep at it. I'm going to add rack pulls into DL day to work on lock-out.

Chin-up:

Dips:
    6kgx3x8 - move up

DB Curls:
    15kg - 9,9,5

Felt wrecked after, no real warm-down except cycle home. Still haven't showered about an hour later.

6 September 2010

This was a fairly rushed work-out, was rushing to go somewhere which ended up cancelled after gym. Annoying. Was in gym early than normal, was busy but manageable.

warm-up:
    hip mobility
    glute activation

Deadlift
    60kgx2x6
    80kgx2x3
    100kgx2x1
    125kgx3x5 - up 2.5kg
    I did something to my traps in warm-up, felt like I tweaked or pulled them. They felt but not very uncomfortable so finished work sets. Decided to leave rack pulls though. They're still quite tender/stiff. Hopefully I'm not in bits tomorrow.

Good morning:
    20kgx1x10
    60kgx3x8 - up 2.5kg

Leg raise:
    3x5

Back extension:
    17.5kgx3x10 - up to 20kg

warm-down:
    quick stretch. pretty half assed.

8 September 2010

warm-up:
    shoulders warm-up
    scap pushups
    band dislocates

bench
    20kgx2x5
    40kgx2x5
    60kgx2x2
    77.5kgx3x5 - increase
    Technique is improving I think. These felt more solid than last week, feeling my body in the lift more. Using my leg positioning more to keep my traps tight and using lats to bring bar out. Felt better after these.

BOR
    55kgx3x8 - same
    Big break between last sets as I was talking to someone.

Pull-ups:
    These felt crap/weak, were very soon after BOR though. Stick at attempting 3x6

Decline DB bench:
    15kgx3x10 - up to 20kg
    easy enough, was on a shallow 15 degrees only decline.

Curls DB:
    15kg - 9,8,7(?) - stick at same

no warm-down as I was in a rush.

• Advertisement

Not the best week last week, didn't get in to gym over weekend.

13 September 2010

warm-up:
    cycle to gym
    hip mobility
    glute work - bird dog and fire hydrant
    BW squats

Squats
    20kgx2x10
    40kgx2x8
    60kgx2x5
    80kgx2x3
    100kgx1x1
    110kgx3x5 - up 1.5kg
    Was not looking forward to squats today, felt wrecked even after my hip work. Managed to get through them but they were tough as usual. Not all of the them were pretty but depth was quite good on all of them, a fair few lower than normal. Tried to tighten up in last set and keep abs tight, seemed to help.

Wrists are still wrecking me lately when squating.

SLDL:
    82.5kgx3x8
    Kept cons on and only switched to mixed grip in last set, think I'll try and keep double overhand on these for as long as possible. Weight was fine, move up. Seem to be making good gains on SLDL, will keep the steady increase though.

Sit-up decline:
    12.5kgx3x10 - up weight
    Tough at end, seemed was arms nearly going.

Back extension:
    20kgx3x8 - up reps.
    Making good gains on back extension since doing twice a week. Think I'll switch to once a week soon.

Hip thrusts:
    3x10
    Tough enough, hope I'm doing them right. Keep these in or some glute strength work in once a week.

warm-down:
    crap stretch for 2 minutes
    cycle home.

Wrists are hurting me while I type, not good.

Anyone else hate people who use your work sets as a warm-up?

I had just finished breaking my balls on the last set of my squats. A regular asks to do a set once I'm finished and he bangs out 10 ass to the grass squats. Bastard! Seen the guy around a fair bit, he has great pull-up and core strength too.

Home very late from work today so did what I could at home around ten. Work-load is really building up - not good for the gym or not working out too late.

14 September 2010

warm-up:
    shoulder dislocates

OHP
    warm-up sets
    48kg*x3x5

Chin ups:
    7,7,6 - same
    Decent depth but not going full hang - find that causes me to swing.

Curl:
    16kgish - 8,8,7 (left arm failed)

Just remembered I forgot my dips, must do them next day.

*My weighing scales said it weighed 52kg but I doubt it, my own calculations had it around 48kg. Wonder if scales is over weighing me too.

Another very night late in work, will be having a few of those for the next while I think. I think I'll struggle to get everything fit in. Doesn't help I'm so far away from work.

15 September 2010

warm-up:
    hip mobility
    glute activation

deadlift
    60kgx2x5
    90kgx2x3
    100kgx2x1
    127.5kgx3x5 - up very small
    Deadlifts were very tough, especially second set. Took some pauses during some reps (held onto bar) Made myself sit back more during final set and this definitely helped but the last few were still very tough. Last rep may not have been competition perfect! Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Good morning:
    20kgx1x10
    62.5kgx3x8 - up small
    Getting quite tough. Must make sure to stick ass out. These are horrible for sweat. Doesn't help when your hands are too chalky to go near your face.

Rack pulls:
    90kgx3x4
    Just messing around for first time. Kept it light because I was tired.

Went home without Back extensions or sit ups or stretching, just wanted to get home to bed. Think I'll drop BEs from this day for rack pulls. Forgot to do dips too.

Any suggestions on rep range or % or Deadlift 1rm for rack pulls?

Nice to work out on a weekend, so little rushing!

18 September 2010

warm-up:
    shoulder dislocates
    scap push-ups

Bench
    20kgx2x5
    40kgx2x5
    60kgx2x2
    70kgx2x1
    80kg - 5, 5, 3 (+2 assisted)
    First set of 80 was suprisingly easy. On the last set had spotter touching bar for last two sets, he didn't need to on fourth rep. I'm not sure I would have got last rep though. I definitely have it in me though. The spotter was unracking the bar for me, don't think I like this. I find it harder to get lats and shoulders tight when they do this. Also meant to film this. Next week.

BOR:
    55kgx3x8 - up
    Decided to give these a bit more 'english' as they say in future.

Smith Decline Bench:
    60kgx5
    70kgx2x5
    70kgx1x10
    First time trying these out. Will put a bit more a bit more weight on these next time.

Pull up:
    Don't know what has happened to these in last two sessions. Might be BOR affecting them.

Curls:
    15kgx3x8 - same - bit too much body involved at end.

Dips:
    Making up for missing these. Figure out leaning forward is definitely easier.

• Advertisement

Decided to forgo squats for a session at the driving range. Playing golf for the first time in ten years on Saturday and don't want to make a show of myself.

This felt like a very long session (wasn't especially long) and didn't feel like I did much (probably because of long squat session).

Warm-up:
    foam rolling lower body - right upper IT band had been at me since Monday (golf maybe)
    hip mobility

Squat
    20kgx2x10
    40kgx2x8
    60kgx2x5
    80kgx3x3
    100kgx1
    110kgx1
    120kgx1

125kgxf

125kx1 PR- What a grinder!

Wasn't feeling absolutely amazing before gym, bit wrecked. In fact I was dreading squats. I forgot my small plates so I didn't feel like making a 2.5kg jump so instead I tried some singles which I haven't done in a long time. Start of working was annoying, guy asked to work in once from the start. He started ****ing with the bar height and was it wasn't something I was in the move for. He was taking too long for my warm-up sets too. Moved to other rack once it became free. Rest of warm-up was non-eventful.

Going my my 120kgx1 I shouldn't have missed 125kg so was fairly annoyed. There was no way I was missing it again but by god it took a while. Not a great PR though. Did 120kgx3 I think before my study/holiday break.

SLDL
    85kgx3x8 - up
    All overhand. Will try overhand as much as possible

Back-extension:
    20kgx3x9 - up

Hip thrusters:
    3x10
    Don't think my hips are opening enough on these.

Sit-ups:
    left, no free decline benches

warm-down:
    lower body stretching

Debating getting a belt for squats/deadlifts. Any comments or suggestions on when to get one?

Edit:
    Can't seem to get embedding working so here are links:
    125kgxf:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnIoo2LWUDo

125kgx1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKI6es5OlYU

23 September 2010

warm-up:
    shoulder dislocates

OHP
    48kg~ - 5,5,6
    Not sure exact weight, whatever weights at home are.

Chin-up:
    7,7,6 -nearly there

Dips:
    3x10
    On corner of kitchen counter. Got weird clicking in shoulders though!

Curls:
    16kg~3x8

No idea my youtube clips won't work. Annoying.

Golf disrupted gym a bit last week,

27 September 2010

warm-up:
    BW squats
    hip mobility
    glute activation

Deadlift
    60kgx2x5
    80kgx3
    100kgx2
    110kgx1
    129kgx3x5 - sketchy
    Think my linear progression is coming to an end with this DL. Weight is getting very heavy for me and my form is suffering. I think my back is now a weak point so will start working rack pulls more. I will try to pull 130 next week and change programme. Maybe Coan Philipi to mix up rep numbers etc. Same will probably happen to squat.

Good morning:
    20kgx10
    62.5kgx3x8 - up
    Hate this exercise. Always causes me to be covered in sweating bending over and I can't wait my face with chalky hands.

Rack pull:
    60kgx5
    90kgx6
    100kgx3x5
    Think I'll start messing around with heavier weights on this.

Decline sit-up:
    12.5kg 10,10,8
    Started getting pinching feeling in lower back and right leg on this. Not good. Don't know its a muscle imbalance or tightness or what.

stretching and foam rolling

By the way, apple pie makes a great pre-workout meal.

No work-out today, only got home from work about half ten. Was looking forward to a bench session.

Was absolutely wrecked during the day today, half tempted to bail on gym.

29 September 2010

warm-up:
    shoulder warm-up
    scap push ups

Bench
    20kgx2x5
    40kgx2x5
    60kgx3
    70kgx2x1
    80kg - 3,5, 4(+1 assisted)

Stopped first set on three as I didn't have a spotter and didn't want to fail. Was too busy concentrating on trying to film set and not on form. Barely got through second set. Third set felt more solid form was but didn't have the strength for an unassisted last rep.

On my form, I'm having trouble keeping tightnesss in my back. I also have a tendency on some sets to lift up from my upppers abs and back towards my head, in a kida L shape lift. Don't think 3x5 is giving me enough reps to work on form. Might incorporated a higher rep bench work-out on press day.

70kg -5,4,3 (plus one total fail, thought safety bars were higher and I had to be rescued!)

BOR:
    56.5kg - 8,8,6+2 - same
    These weren't great, needed a fair bit of english

Decline smith BP:
    75kg -6,5,10 - up to 80kg

Pull-up:
    these aren't improving on bench day. wonder if I'm wrecked after BOR

Curls:
    15kgx3x8
    Form seemed better on these

no warm-down - had to run home.

All bench tips welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Have you watched the "so you think you can bench" series from EliteFTS?

Yes, that's what actually got me to change my technique recently. I must watch it again now that I'm trying to lift with that technique. Obviously I should accept that there will be teething problems with any change in lifting technique.

On a maybe unrelated note, the bench I use in WW is the lowest one I've ever seen. Its ridiculous.

Just found out the fat bar that I've used the odd time for squat and bench (when all others are taken) is 22.5kg. Think that means my squat PR is 127.5kg and would explain crap bench session during week. Not 100% so for now squat PR is 125.

1 October 2010

Went up to the gym today with a friend who has recently joined WW. Very strong guy so could to work-out with him. Also nice to have a session with someone, haven't done that in years.

warm-up:
    lots of shoulder dislocats at home - for sore wrists during squatting
    hip mobility
    glute activation

Squat
    20kgx10
    40kgx8
    60kgx5
    80kgx2x3
    100kgx2
    111.5kgx3x5 - fine and move up
    120kgx3

Tried a belt today for the first time, was my friends. Actually found it brilliant, really foucsed mine and technique I think. Sets felt very solid compared to last few weeks, especially last time (although that might have been fat bar's fault!)

SLDL (overhand)
    87.5kg - fine and up

Back extension:
    20kgx3x10 - increase reps
    Really felt erectors working here

Leg raise:
    3x5
    Really foreced these and felt solid, although ROM is nearly 100% and reduces during reps.

light stretch

4 October 2010

warm-up:
    shoulder
    scap push-up

OHP
    20kgx3x5
    30kgx2x3
    40kgx2
    49kgx3x5 - up

Second set was a bit ropey, had bar in air way too long after 1st rep. Final set was better but not easy. Must focus on strong core through-out. I think 50kg is my 1rm so for 3x5 will be nice.

Chin-up:
    3x7 - stay same

Dips:
    6.25kgx3x8 - up
    WW got a cool dip belt.

Bench
    50kgx5x5
    Not sure of reps, just lots of volume working on technique

EZ Bar Curls:
    35kg -5,5,4

No warm-down

• Advertisement

Worst training ever!

7 October 2010

warm-up:
    hip mobility
    glute activation

Deadlift
    60kgx5
    80kgx2x3
    100kgx2
    110kgx1
    135kgx2
    135kgx3
    135kgx2x2 - (here one side was 15kg than other!)
    The work set was meant to be be 130kg, couldn't figure out why it was so heavy. Then on 3rd set I move down to 130kg, or so I thought! Actually still had 135kg on bar but one side was 7.5kg heavier than other. No wonder it went up wonky and left grip kept slipping.

Good morning:
    20kgx8
    65kgx3x8 - up small - watch form

Rack pull:
    60kgx5
    90kgx5
    120kgx3
    140kgx3
    90kgx6,2
    Still haven't got into rhythem with these. DO people usually lower bar, stop and reset?

Leg raises:
    3xRandom number. These are actually becoming a work-out and I'm no longer so crap they're not an effort. Haven't good complete ROM yet.

Been a while. Had a heavy weekend away and ate like crap since. Been off CEE too. Think all combined to a crap session.

warm-up:
    band dislocates
    DC shoulder prehab - 2kg

Bench:
    20kgx5
    40kgx2x5
    60kgx2x3
    70kgx1
    80kg-2,3,4,4+1 assist

New BP technique not really working for me yet. Last set felt better, think I was too far down bench on others. I'm struggling to keep lats tight during lift.

60kg -8,6,6
    These were much better. Felt a lot tighter. Might drop weight more and increase reps to work on technique more

BOR:
    57.5kgx3x8 - up small
    Was more upright on these on a friend's suggestion. Sets initially felt stronger but could feel lower lats tiring as they're not used to being hit so much

Decline smith BP:
    80kg -8,7,6 - same

Pull-up:
    5,4,3 - crap
    Not great, last two sets also had 80% ROM rep at end

Curl:
    15kg -7,7,6
    Also crap

14 October 2010

warm-up:
    dislocates
    hip mobility
    glute activation

Squat
    20kgx10
    40kgx8
    50kgx5
    70kgx5
    90kgx3
    100kgx1
    112.5kgx3x5
    Last rep of second set wasn't the best, depth wasn't fully there although wasn't the worst altogether. Last set was tough but felt more solid, was a real grinder. Need to keep core tight. Really must get a belt, really felt the difference between this and last session.
    90kgx8

SLDL
    90kgx3x8 - solid. Up slightly

Back Ext
    20kgx3x10 - same. ROM isn't 100% in last few reps

Hanging leg raise:
    3x8 - same. Work on ROM

warm-down:
    LB stretching

Edit:

Got told my last set of squats was seriously impressive my the guy I was working in with, which was nice. He mentioned I was of the very few in the gym who actually squatted much.

16 October 2010

warm-up:
    dislocates
    DC warm-up 3kg

OHP
    warm-up
    50kg - 5,2,3
    40kg -6,5,5
    50 was fairly gay. Weight just died a death on me. Kept getting light headed cleaning up though, not fun. 40kg set was to punish me, last rep was probably longest grinder of my life.

Chin-ups:
    Not great. Chins and pulls seem to be stalling lately. Must do more at home.

Dips:
    3.75kg -8,8,9
    Wrong weight my mistake so did some press up on those handle bars:

PU on handles:

EZ Curls:

17 October 2010

warm-up:
    hip mobility
    glute activation

Deadlift
    warm-up
    130x3x5 -belt
    Last rep was probably hitched a tiny bit but had it in me. First time deadlifting with belt, felt solid. Not sure how tight to have it, probably will have it looser than squatting, is this standard?

Good morning:
    66.5kgx3x8 - up small
    Need some consistency on my depth on these. Probably focused on arched-back GMs.

Rack-pulls:
    60kgx5
    100kgx5
    145kg - 2 and 1 hitched
    120kgx3
    100kgx8 - form not great on end

hang leg raise:
    3x8

Been suffering serious back pump/doms since last session! Never really had it in back that bad before

19 October 2010

warm-up:
    band dislocates
    DC shoulder warm-up: 4kg - (go back to 3kg - sad!)

Bench in use so started with BOR.

BOR
    57.5k -8,8,11
    50kgx10
    Should have been 59kg hence extra reps. Bit of englished used at end

Bench
    40kgx3x5
    60kgx2x3
    70kgx2x1
    75kg -6,6,7+1 spotted touched
    60kgx10
    I've dropped weight slightly to work on form. Switching to a wider stance seems to help keeping tightness, as does lower bar rack. Think chalk help a bit too. Still needs lot of work! Need to film soon.

Chins:
    Have no idea what happened on last set, just felt dead. Really stalled on these lately after making good progress.

Declin Smith BP:
    80kg -8,8,7 - same

Curls:
    15kg -8,8,9 - up reps
    Felt more solid than usual

Dips:

warm-down:
    crap stretch
    cycle home

Gave a guy some advice on his SLDL today. I had to though, his form was absolutely murder on his back. Couldn't stand by and let him pull something! Completely bent over back and leaning way back at top. He seemed happy enough to take the advice.

21 October 2010

Finally finished work early enough for once so got up to gym a bit earlier, wasn't that busy thankfully.

warm-up:
    hip mobility
    glute activation

Squat
    20kgx10
    50kgx8
    70kgx4
    90kgx3
    *belt*
    100kgx1
    114kgx3x5
    90kgx15 - had few more left in me, held back so I wouldn't be DOM'd to fook.
    First time squatting with my belt. I can really notice the difference. All sets especially the last felt really solid with plenty of depth. Also tried wrist wraps for first time as wrists are always bugging me squatting, probably a band aid solution though and should work on shoulder flexibility.

Really felt the part today as a powerlifter with the belt, wrist wraps, cons and 3 plates on each side of the bar (15kg so I was cheating).

SLDL
    92.5kgx3x8 - up small
    Was going to do 91.5 only but told myself not to be a pussy. First set was overhand grip. Really felt these in abs after squatting.

Hanging leg raise:
    3x8

Back extension:
    20kgx3x10
    Next time drop reps and increase weight.

warm-down:
    some hip stretches and foam rolling IT band.

23 octobere 2010

slightly rushed session

warm-up:
    DC shoulder prehab 3kg

OHP
    warm-up
    50kgx3x5
    40kgx8
    Tried a slightly different approach today. Didn't clean the weight but unracked it at chest height. I also put one foot slightly in front. Seemed to help.
    My last tested 1RM is 50kg so pretty happy to get it for 3x5

Pull ups:
    3x5 - same
    Not really progressing on these any more

Dips:
    7.5kgx3X8 - up small

Curls:
    35kg - 5,5,6 - up reps

Push -ups (on handles)
    2x10

Now off to stuff myself in Keshk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

D'ya know what helped my press when it slowed down?

A certain Shoulder mobility exercise.
    From a Kelly starrett video.

Particularly for the bit where the scapula is over the ribs.
    Get a tennis ball when you are lying down.
    Put your arm over your balls, then move it in an arc (up into the air) over so its along the ground with your shoulder close to your ear, till the blade of your hand hits the ground.

You are basically pushing the rib into the ball and moving the scapula around it.

Made it much easier to keep a nice straight bar path, which inturn can squeeze that extra rep or so out of you.

Just a thought.

Gonna try some heavy DL singles with the new belt today. Lets see how I get on.

• Advertisement

Didn't get to gym over long weekend as much as liked. Oh well, was still in 3 times last week. As referred to above, went up to gym to try some heavy DL singles with my new belt.

26 October 2010

warm-up:
    cycle to gym
    quick hip mobility
    glute activation

Deadlift
    60kgx2x5
    80kgx2x3
    100kgx2x1
    Instructor told me to put on shoes and put clips on bar. Maybe if the plates weren't so ****ty then they won't move around the bar. I also pointed out one of the gym employees worked out in flip-flops but I put cons on anyway.
    120kgx1
    130kgx1
    140kgx1
    150kgx1
    160kgx1
    165kgx1 5kg PR
    170kgx1 10kg PR (and 2xBW deadlift - currently about 83/84kg)

Definitely not the prettiest rep my any stretch of the imagination. I have recently started incorporating rack pulls and heavy back extensions into routine which should hopefully help my core strength and stop back rounding too much. Although it will never be the prettiest on a 1rm.
    After that I wasn't too bothered, also racks weren't free for rest of routine.

hanging leg raise:
    3x8

Good morning (pressed onto back):
    40kg x8,8,15

Back extension:
    22.5kgx8,8,10 (up reps)
    These were probably helped with no high rep DLs, good mornings or rack pulls:

warm-down;
    stretch legs
    quick foam roll around hips
    wet cycle home

Edit: here is direct link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26kVBFmQzZc

Video is taking ages to process.

Advertisement