Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5(4)3(2)1...Go.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

gymsoldier wrote: »
    Just a suggestion, as you have two days set aside for legs. Why dont you split legs up;

Day One: Quads
    Day Three : Hamstrings

And how do your rest/off days fit in, or it is four days straight?
    Would never typically do 4 days in a row, last week excepted. My typical work-out week looks like:

Monday:gym
    Tuesday:gym
    Wednesday:rest
    Thursday: gym
    Friday: rest
    Saturday:gym

Although if I go out on Friday then I'll leave the work-out until Sunday.

Haven't really thought about splitting up into quads/hams. To be honest, the workout is based on four core lifts: squat, deads, bench and overhead press. The rest of the workout is a means to compliment them. The above isn't really a pure 4 day split, as many body parts are hit 2x/week.

How would you suggest I split up workout in quads/hams? I hope you're not going to suggest squats and deads on same day?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Sangre wrote: »
    Would never typically do 4 days in a row, last week excepted. My typical work-out week looks like:

Monday:gym
    Tuesday:gym
    Wednesday:rest
    Thursday: gym
    Friday: rest
    Saturday:gym

Although if I go out on Friday then I'll leave the work-out until Sunday.

Haven't really thought about splitting up into quads/hams. To be honest, the workout is based on four core lifts: squat, deads, bench and overhead press. The rest of the workout is a means to compliment them. The above isn't really a pure 4 day split, as many body parts are hit 2x/week.

How would you suggest I split up workout in quads/hams? I hope you're not going to suggest squats and deads on same day?

Here is a suggestion:

Quads: Squat.
    Hams: Deadlift.

I'm not being smart either.

Not sure I'd call conventional deadlifts a hamstring exercise. Although I don't think you're trying to say they are. So for arguments sake:

Quads:
    Squat
    Front Squat
    Lunges?

Hams:
    Deadlift
    RDL
    Good morning

Makes as much sense as the original plan I suppose. That being said, the people with logs here who have made good strength gains seem to try and avoid only hitting body parts 1x/week. I will give this a think though.

Thanks, and all other suggestions welcome.

Not sure I'd call conventional deadlifts a hamstring exercise. Although I don't think you're trying to say they are. So for arguments sake:

Quads:
    Squat
    Front Squat
    Lunges?

Hams:
    Deadlift
    RDL
    Good morning

Makes as much sense as the original plan I suppose. That being said, the people with logs here who have made good strength gains seem to try and avoid only hitting body parts 1x/week. I will give this a think though.

Yeah, RDL and GM's are very bloody similar exercises.
    I'd say just do a lift and assistance.
    Like what you were doing.

Just don't call it 5/3/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

Quads:
    Squat
    Front Squat
    Lunges?

Hams:
    Deadlift
    RDL
    Good morning

II go with something like this for assistant exercises;

Squat Day:
    Front Squats
    Leg Ext.

Deadlift Day:
    Goodmorning/RDL
    Single Leg hamstring curl (Its the machine beside the hack squat in WW)

• Advertisement

Only on way home now. Hopefully I've time to to eat and squat tonight. absolutely wrecked.

Work has been crazy this week. Barely managed to fit in two sessions. One at home and one just now in gym.

12 April 2010

Usual home **** with limited equipment

OHP:
    52kg~ x3x7

Pull-up:

Push Press:
    52kg~x3x3

BOR:
    52kg~x12,12,14

Shrug:
    52kg~x10,10,12

14 April

This was kept to minimum because of tight time

Squat:
    120kgx5,5,7 - belt

Front Squat:
    67.5kgx8,8,10

RDL:
    20kgx2x10
    50kgx3x10

HLR:
    few **** ones

Ab pulldown:
    36kgx3x10

HKR:
    few more ****

I'm so, so tired. Work has been very intense lately, was stuck in the office all over the weekend. Didn't get a session in. Managed to get up today.

19 April 2011

BP:
    84kgx5,5,7 -up reps
    70kgx11 - form not great

Shoulder DB:
    20kgx9,8,10
    Don't normally do these straight after BP and found quite tough. Managed 10 last set because had phone call in between sets.

DB Press:
    25kgx8,8,9
    Form still a bit wonky

YTWs - 3kg DB

Tricep pulldown:
    34kgx10
    27kgx10
    31.5kgx2x10

Cable Curl:
    18kgx10,10,12 - up

Going to try and go to gym twice on Good Friday (day off). Once in morning and once in evening.

The insanity of work that has been the last few weeks is over. Still exhausted from it though. It wasn't a case of being too tired to go to gym but rather it wasn't open by the time I got home.

Going to try and squeeze a few sessions in over long weekend. Had today off so headed up early.

22 April 2011

Deadlift
    warm-up
    120kgx4x5

Good morning:
    20kgx2x10
    50kgx2x10 - up weight
    Finding these good for stretching out hammies. Still quite light weight.

Rack pulls:
    warm-up:
    130kgx5,5,7 - belt on - up weight small
    First time with belt using these. Didn't notice major difference.

Seated leg curl:
    Plate 12x3x10

Back Extension:
    15kgx10,10,15 - up weight.

If I decide to stay in tonight debating going up again this evening. Will see how I get on though.

On a separate note. I "qualified" last Wednesday and the Wednesday before that I was offered a year's contract in my firm once I qualified so it was a good week or two (except for hours!).

Nice to be able to get up to the gym without the hassle of work getting in the way.

23 April

OHP
    warm-up
    *belt*
    52.5kgx5,5,6

Neutral Grip Pull up - strict

Push Press
    40kgx2x3
    52.5kgx3x3

OHP:
    42.5kgx8
    Got my serious glute tense on. Could feel it more in my shoulders/upper back.

BOR:
    65kgx5,5,6
    Seemed a bit dead doing these after pull-ups

Shrug:
    60kgx8,8,10 - up weight

Intervted rows
    banged out a few

• Advertisement

Squats today in near empty gym.will update later with details.

Didn't make it up to gym on bank holiday Monday, wasn't at home. Probably should have made the effort considering I'm away this bank holiday weekend.

23 April 2011

This is all from memory and may be off

Squats:
    120kgx3x6 - first time I've dreaded the last set in a while!

Front squats:
    67.5x8,8,10 - should try and get the flexibility to do these oly style

RDL:
    52.5kgx3x8

Ab Pulldown:
    34kgx3x10

Plank - face down and then each side:
    30s

Plank - face down:
    1 min

26 April 2011

Bench Press:
    85kgx5,5,7 - up weight small

Seated DB OHP:
    20kgx3x8 - bit dodge on left arm towards end

DB Press:
    27.5kgx7,7,10 - up reps

YTWs
    3kg

Tricep pulldown - high one:
    27kgx10,10,7
    dropsets

Cable Curl:
    20kgx2x10
    dropsets

Yesterday evening

28 April 2011

Deadlift:
    warm-up
    *belt*
    122.5kgx4x5 - grand - up 5kg and switch to 3x5

Good morning:
    20kgx2x10
    50kgx3x10
    50kgx3x5 second hold at bottom to stretch

Rack pull:
    warm-up
    *belt*
    131.5kgx3/4x5 - honestly can't remember how many sets I did - up weight anyway

Leg Curl:
    Plate 12 - 3x10 - very tough at end

Back Extension:
    17.5kgx10,10,15

Change my deadlift setup toady and I think I have twigged it. First time deadlift has felt solid in a fair while. I think I had been setting up way too deep (too much like a squat) and have been way too worried about getting my chest up and shoulders back. Today I went basic to basics, put scap over the bar and just pulled it up dragging it as close to my body as possible. Was a lot easier to reset for each rep this way as well. Hopefully I can now move forward with my DL as I have felt it has been stalling, even though my squat has been going quite well.

Flexibility is fairly crap on the GM and SLDL. Weight is fine but not getting any substantially depth, or thats how it feels anyway. Will keep it light enough for now. Will finish each exercise by holding the bar at the lowest point for a few seconds.

Off to Kinsale this weekend for the 7s so training will be disrupted. Hopefully back to it Monday/Tuesday.

Just noticed this log has 10,000 views which is a bit mad when I think about it. Hard to think that there has been 10,000 unique views (included my own granted) of this mess of a log! Obviously nowhere near some people's though!

Went away for may bank holiday (kinsale 7s) and work has been crazy since. Into midnight and working weekends etc., Has been bad last while but this was insane. Only managed to squeeze in two workouts since then, including tonight. Will log later, too wrecked now. Hopefully work will be more manageable going forward.

The case from hell is finally over (settled). Has had me in at all hours and various weekends for past 3 months. THankfully didn't disrupt training too much until last 3 weeks. Feel slightly weaker but hopefully will be back on it soon.

7 May

BP
    82.5kgx5,5,6
    72.5x9

Seated DB OHP:
    20kgx8,7,8
    Gonna drop weight on these - too tough after BP. Left arm is lagging and need to work on form.

DB BP:
    30kg -8,8,6 - think that as weight

NGPU:
    3x5

Tricep pulldown:
    27kgx3x10 - up small
    dropsets

Cable Curl:
    20kgx10,10,12 - up small
    dropsets

YTW - 3kg
    9 May - took it easy

Squat
    110kgx3x5

Front Squat
    70kgx3x8

SLDL
    50kgx3x10 - holy crap ive weak hams

Ab pulldown
    Variousx10
    Not getting hang of this. Will find another core exercise.

Plank
    Front and each side: 30s
    Front: 1 min

12 May

OHP
    52.5kgx5,5,4 - crap
    50kgx4
    Really tried to squeeze glutes here which made these harder as I can't arch my back as much.

NGPU:
    No idea what happened here - just ocmpletely died. Last rep wasn't even a struggle but was nowhere near 4th rep.

Push press:
    52.5kgx3
    55kgx3,2
    Missed last set - more due to sore palm then anything.

OHP
    40kgx8

BOR:
    65kgx3x6
    60x2x5
    Stalling on these lately. Might switch up exercise

Inverted Row:
    3x5 - back dead after rows

Shrug:
    65kgx3x8 - again
    60kgx6

Scap PUs

Gunzz

Busy weekend so going to try and deadlift in morning before work. First time trying it. Could be interesting.

First time doing a morning session before work. Was grand, didn't feel tired/sleepy during session. Felt a bit more tired than usual on commute to work but was fine. This could be offset with an earlier night's sleep. As per the rest of this week, took it handy enough.

13 May 2011
    DL
    Warm-up
    *belt*
    125kgx3x5 - tough but grand
    Really trying to work on form for these and keeping bar close to body. Will film next time.

Good morning:
    52.5kgx3x10

Rack Pull
    125kgx3x5 - completely dead bar between sets.
    Again, tried to keep bar closer to body, which isn't something I've been doing with the pulls

Leg Curl
    Plate 12x3x10

Back Extension:
    17.5kgx10,10,15

I think I'll try and one do or two morning sessions during week from now on. Need to free up some evening time, especially with tag rugby starting. Never have enough time in evenings for anything other than gym or girlfriend. Will probably keep those session to upper body ones depending on scheduling. Can't ever see myself squatting in morning!

Update time!

14 May

Bench:
    85kgx5,5,6
    72.5kgx9

DB OH Seated Press:
    17.5kgx3x10 - left weaker

DB BP:
    27.5kgx3x8

Tricep pulldown:
    29kgx10,10,15
    dropsets

Cable Curl:
    22kgx10,10,15
    dropsets

16 May

Squats:
    115kgx5,5,10
    The 115kx10 is a PR

Oly Front squat
    Just messing around - didn't do anything heavy. Don't have hip flexibility to get down for these without tilting over too much.

SLDL:
    52.5kgx3x10
    My ham strength is appalling

Plank:
    Front - 35s
    Sides - 30s each
    Front - 65s

Leg Raise:

leg curl
    9x3x15

19 May

OHP
    52.5kgx5,4,4 - AWFUL
    50kgx1
    When I squeeze my glutes these become seriously hard. Start feeling pressure in middle/upper back when lifting. Also seems to bring out a big discrepancy between my shoulders. Right arm going up way too quick compared to left. ****. Squeezing glutes also seems to bring out some flexibility issues as well.

NGPU:

Push Press:
    messing - I CANNOT do these oly style. Can't transfer it from start to end with any weight.

BOR:
    67.5kgx5,5,57
    60kgx2x5 - with english

Shrug:
    67.5kgx3x8
    60kgx5

Inverted Row:
    4x5

Last two sessions have been fairly ****. Haven't pushed myself, trying to tell myself to ease myself into but really I've copped out of them which I don't usually do. Those help I've been frustrated during them.

Learnt a few things:
    • I've very inflexible (knew this)
    • Squeezing glutes when OHP makes it tougher and shows up some imbalances
    • I can rack a bar in the oly front squat position
    • I can't front squat because my lack of hip flexibility causes me to lean forward and I can't keep bar/elbows up
    • I can't push press from a front squat position. Only have fingers barely holding bar so don't know how to transfer weight to my palm while extending arms.

Feeling frustrated at the moment but I just need to get over it and work towards resolving these things.

Ok, just some quick googling tells me when push pressing I shouldn't try and have my elbows in exact front squat position. That makes some more sense. Just need to keep elbows forward and no dipping of chest.

SOmething isn't working for me, so I can't find the link.

But there are a few dan john articles, one is on gobelet squats the other is like "things that are good for you" or something like that.

His approach to teaching the squat should help you with the hip stuff.
    'av a google.

• Advertisement

Thanks will give these a search.

Probably a good thing I've finally a reason to work on flexibility. That and my lordosis which I'm going to attempt to improve and/or correct.

Thanks will give these a search.

Probably a good thing I've finally a reason to work on flexibility. That and my lordosis which I'm going to attempt to improve and/or correct.

Lunge stretches.

Was a bitch and didn't get to gym before work yesterday. Hopefully I can go tomorrow if I'm not too hunger, unlikely though. DLs today though and did some filming. If you've been following my log you know I've been giving about them a lot recently. I've changed my form slightly and hopefully its for the better. They certainly feel more solid.

21 May

DL:
    warm-up
    125kgx5,5,7
    105kgx10

1st set:

2nd set:

3rd set:

Good morning:
    20kgx10
    55kgx3x10

Rack Pull:
    127.5kgx5,5,10 - completely stop between each rep.

Leg Curl:
    10x10,10,15
    Always feel like I'm about to cramp at end of these

Back Extensions:
    20kgx10,10,12

All comments on form welcome. Apologies for the glare and the eejits walking in front of the camera at the end. Would really like to put my DL troubles behind me and start increasing the weight.

Off to start a day of boozing on behalf of the boys in blue.

ALLEZ LES BLUE!

Not a great session, didn't feel the strongest.

23 May

BP:
    warm-up:
    85kgx5,4,5
    75kgx8

DB Seated OHP:
    17.5kgx3x10

DB BP:
    30kgx5,5,6

YTWs - 3kg
    Bat wings - 3kg

Tricep Curl:
    32kgx10,10,12
    drop sets

Cable Curl:
    24kgx10,10,12
    drop sets

Used two crap benches when benching today. First one was too high, moved and other one was too low. Made me realise importance of a decent bench. I'm using the newest bench in WW lately. Had a crap bar as well and old runners so couldn't keep a solid grip on ground with feet. All in all not great!

EDIT: Above DL lifts are 127.5kg not 125kg.....eh, its a big difference!

24 May 2011

warm-up:
    db goblet squats at home
    was holding these at bottom for roughly 10s at a time. Seemed to work well opening up hips.

Squat:
    warm-up:
    *belt*
    120kgx5,5,6
    100kgx2x2 - underwear cut these short - too tight on first set and blew apart on second set
    100kgx2x5 - pretty sure I did more but didn't have pen to take these down - were very deep

Front squat on wedge:
    40kgxsomexsome
    Just practising these on the edge of a wooden wedge to allow to get deep enough while holding the bar oly style.
    Some sets were great and very solid but on some I kept losing proper grip on bar or fingers started to hurt. Will work on these a lot more with wedge while also working on flexibility

Planks:
    Messed around until core very sore. Raise leg on some.

Didn't have time to do hamstring work as friend was waiting to give me lift.

Bit of tag tonight. No warm-up or warm-down. Will regret it tomorrow - meh!

27 May

OHP
    47.5kgx3x7
    Dropped weight and upped rep to work on form i.e squeeze glutes and avoid leanback

NGPU:
    Seemed to have gotten worse at chins/pullups - must start randomly doing them at home again

Push Press:
    40kgx2x3
    50kgx3x3
    Trying to keep elbows in front. Sore on left wrist. Still haven't got form 100% (or close)

BOR:
    67.5kgx3x5
    60kgx6

Shrug:
    70kgx3x8

Inverted Row:
    3x5
    These are harder than I thought they would be!

Dips:
    BWx10

A lot sweatier today than normal!!

28 May

Deadlift:
    130kgx5,5,6
    105kgx10

Good morning:
    55kgx10,10,12

Rack Pull:
    130kgx5,5,8 (or something)

Leg Curl:
    Plate 11 3x10

Back Extension:
    20kgx10,10,15

Finally brough a new notepad to gym. No more writing on cardboard on back of wrecked a4 pad.

30 May

No benches free for BP

DB BP:
    20kgx2x5
    30x5,5,10

Seated DB OHP:
    17.5kgx10,10 (move seat one notch to 90 degrees - holy crap thats hard) 5
    10kgx2x5

Moving seat slightly forward made big difference - almost BNP. Not sure if I'll do it again but it seemed to really isolate delts and take chest out of equation.

Dips:
    BWx10
    10kgx3x5
    BWx10

Station now faces mirror so I can avoid going too deep on these

Tricep Curls/Bicep Curls - somexsome

YTW - 3kg

scap pushups

Starting on creatine again. Don't think I'll be busy in work for next month so good a time as any. Hopefully won't get as thirsty this time. Will try and pre-empt with lots of fluid.

• Advertisement

31 May

Squat:
    warm-up
    100kgx3
    110kgx1
    125kgx3,3,4
    105kgx8

Front Squat: (using wedge)
    40kgx3x8
    60kgx3x1
    60kgx1x3

SLDL:
    40kgx5
    55kgx3x8
    40kgx5

Goblet Squat:
    25kgx10,10,15

Bench Leg raise:

Plank - front:
    60s (30s each side raising leg)

Felt tight and out of sorts during squats warm-up. Brought stance in slightly and that seemed to help. Was tough enough. Must remember to drive through hips. Tendency to not do that when I fatigue.

Fronts squats - slowly learning. Have a habit during sets for elbows to drift out and to slowly lose my finger grip as a result. Must focus on getting bar really close to neck.

Thought I was doing some dragonflys but more leg raise using bench. Still tough enough. Will work up to 3x0 and then try a harder core exercise.

Questions:
    • any tips to prevent elbows splaying front squatting?
    • how close should my fingers be to neck when front squatting (right at shoulders or slightly wider?)
    • during SLDL should I keep an arched back? This obviously limits ROM due to my crap flexibility.

Some goals for next while:
    • Greatly increase strength on two areas I've always ignored: core and hamstrings.
    • Increase mobility - especially ankle/hip mobility
    • foam roll on weekends

Advertisement