Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1.4 ford focus or toyota corrolla?

• 12-01-2010 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Lookin into get my first car, i've decided to get either a focus or a corrolla. I'm lookin to get one from a simi dealer, and the price is 2.5k for a 00, i intend to use this car for a good few years, but it won't be used for commuting so mileage won't be too high, so which one would be best?

I'm 22, and a student, i've a motorbike for commuting, so i really just want the car for comfort, carrying stuff, having passengers and all the other non bike things i could do with it, so what are the pros and cons of each? And are there any other cars i should be looking at in this range?
    What i need is a 1.4 or 1.3ltr car with 4 doors, a saloon would be best, maybe an estate, but then the estate would have to be in excellent condition to be feasible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Look privately and get a mechanic to check it out at that price. No point in paying a dealer margin on a smaller budget to be honest. I'd suggest a 1.6 Focus estate maybe. It will be more economical than the underpowered 1.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Personally, I think the Focus looks nicer ;), but the 1.4 is supposed to be quite underpowered.

A 1.4 Focus is not a great option compared to a Corolla, Focus have a huge following but the 1.4 is a poor option, older ones can be troublesome too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

RoverJames wrote: »
    A 1.4 Focus is not a great option compared to a Corolla, Focus have a huge following but the 1.4 is a poor option, older ones can be troublesome too.

so corrolla it is then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Focus would be better for comfort and passengers - Corollas are quite cramped in comparison (esp. rear legroom). As others said the 1.6 would be the better option but given your age it may be bad for your insurance premium. Focus is a much newer and safer design (E110 Corolla dates back to 1995).

A Corolla of that age won't be hassle-free either - you'll probably be looking at replacing some suspension components at this stage (if not already done), and wheel bearing failures seem common enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If I was presented with just those 2 options(assuming you have it narrowed down and don't want any suggestions) it would be the Corolla hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭james1410

I have to agri with the others here on the corolla most reliable of the 2 i started out with corollas and got on well with them bar a jap one i had. i have fords now but thats because i got into the old school stuff but if it werent for the fact i enjoy working on my cars i would get another toyota!

ninty9er wrote: »
    If I was presented with just those 2 options(assuming you have it narrowed down and don't want any suggestions) it would be the Corolla hands down.

Well, what else is there? a megane? would i get insured on a 1.6 with a provisional license?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

I'd get the toyota corolla as it's very reliable and you won't have to worry about expensive garage costs. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

GigaByte wrote: »
    I'd get the toyota corolla as it's very reliable and you won't have to worry about expensive garage costs. :)

This is the exact opposite of the truth, OP you'd be silly to choose a Corolla over a Focus. As you'll see on previuos threads here the Focus has won used car of the decade, 12 car of the year awards etc.etc... There aren't any used cars around that have better ride and handling, or are more reliable.

• Advertisement

Xios wrote: »
    Well, what else is there? a megane? would i get insured on a 1.6 with a provisional license?
    A Peugeot 306/ Citroen Xsara (2001-) are options not to be discounted. The pre-facelift versions aren't great, but if one has lasted this long, the liklihood that it has lurking electrical gremlins is lower.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/306/MERIDIAN/200945195748662/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Citroen/Xsara/5Doors-n/200928194577390/advert?channel=CARS

Mazda 323, nice car, my dad bough a 00 recently.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/323/200947195915796/advert?channel=CARS

squod wrote: »
    This is the exact opposite of the truth, OP you'd be silly to choose a Corolla over a Focus. As you'll see on previuos threads here the Focus has won used car of the decade, 12 car of the year awards etc.etc... There aren't any used cars around that have better ride and handling, or are more reliable.
    6 months old qualifies as used. I've become very skeptikal of statisics recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

My first road legal car was a ford focus 1.4. I honestly didnt think it was that underpowered, try one out first and compare to the corolla to see what you think.
    Very nice to drive, never gave me any problems (was about 7 years old when I sold it, eh the car that is:p).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

never mind them oul corrolla's! I've a 00 1.4 focus myself and i love it! In an ideal world a bit more grunt under the bonnet would be very nice but the 1.4 isn't that underpowered. I'm very happy with mine anyway. Hasn't caused me any real hassle since i got it, and i've put 26k miles on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

+1 for the focus. You can't go wrong with them. Feck all hassle with them. There's a fair few '03's around now resonably priced have a look a done deal. Just bring a mechanic if buying privately.

Hal1 wrote: »
    +1 for the focus. You can't go wrong with them. Feck all hassle with them. .

Well know probs
    - coils
    - loss of power, intermittent, Ford claim nothing wrong, I know 3 people this happened to on early focus models, eventually it the CPUs were replaced after much agro with dealers
    - speedo (speed sensor dies, not a biggy but a common issue)

Compared to a Corolla I don't understand how a Focus could be described as feck all hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

RoverJames wrote: »
    Well know probs
    - coils
    - loss of power, intermittent, Ford claim nothing wrong, I know 3 people this happened to on early focus models, eventually it the CPUs were replaced after much agro with dealers
    - speedo (speed sensor dies, not a biggy but a common issue)

Compared to a Corolla I don't understand how a Focus could be described as feck all hassle.

I'm speaking from my own experience. I'm not saying they are hassle free sure what car is, I guess I'm lucky with mine though (touch wood). :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

1.6 focus without a doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

They are both good cars, test drive both and see which you prefer I say.

Personally I'd go for a Corolla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Perhaps when people are giving advice like this they could qualify their experience to help the OP understand the gravity of the advice.

I drive a focus most weeks in the UK as renters. I've driven corolla's as an employee of car hire company. I've driven my father's fords over the past 20 years. I currently drive a '97 starlet, 02 E39 and a 00 100 series cruiser. Service the Toyota's myself and do some major work on the cruiser.

Personally, I'd go for the Corolla. Much more reliable in the long term imo. The Focus that I drive in the UK seem to have something falling off them and a few of them have had power issues (petrol ones). Don't like them but Hertz give them for next to nothing. Nice heated front windscreen on most of them which is nice these days.

COROLLA.

Having said that, you could do worse than find 2 nice examples and take both for a spin as frankie says.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Im in the corrolla court!

Its nothing exciting but its reliable i drove a 01 for about year and a half and the 1.4 engine was actually alright.

The focus is a great car alright, but as an early car the corrolla can take the abuse your going to give starting off, with small running cost, i found it very economical and never had any trouble with it even though it had 95000 miles when i got rid of it.

Biggest annoyance was the saloon version the rear seats don't fold down. I know alot of saloon cars don't have folding seats.
    I could get a nice seating position but steering wheel only had tilt and seat adjustments are minimal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

ninty9er wrote: »

If it's an estate you need then the 323F from 99-03 is an option, not a full on estate but if it's just 1 or 2 passengers and bikes/sportsgear then it would do fine. For that sort of money you could buy one of these (and the corolla/focus) private with the help of a friendly mechanic to get better value, rather than paying a dealer that bit extra.

random example:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1094811

Early models available in 1.3,1.5,1.8 (2.0 TD)
    Later models in 1.4,1.6,2.0 (and a 2.0TD)

Bear in mind that when most people think 323F they think of the previous coupe type model, which had an image of the hairdressers porsche...

1.5/1.6 probably the best,but:
    Dunno bout this guy, seems to have a few adds on the go with mixed up photo's but if you fancied something with a bit more go to it:
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=169118&cat=fav

I wouldn't have an opinion either way on corolla v focus, I'd base my decision on the individual cars available in your budget, and a once over from a good mechanic.

To be honest, no matter what the budget I'd try to get ABS at least, and an airbag for the driver and passenger if there is going to be a regular one...
    I've had a few cases where ABS definitely prevented the airbags being called into play...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

another vote for the 323 here. you'd get a 1.5/1.6 with loads of kit easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

I actuallt drive a focus and coralla regular...

Its an 04 Corolla and an 07 Focus, but I have had the previous models too..

1.4 Focus is very sluggish at times, whereas the coralla would be more responsive...

If its an older version your after like 00 or 01, having drove both, I think the focus is better daily use, more comfy, more room.... but in the long run i think the Coralla would be less grief....

I'm gonna get a corrolla then, i'm big into reliability and economy, anything to cut the costs in the long run would be a huge bonus as i'll be driving six wheels (bike aswell), deffo gonna sort a full license asap and cut to down the costs on insurance. Thanks for the advice guys, keep the topic open if ya like, seems to be a good debate goin on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Xios wrote: »
    i'll be driving six wheels (bike aswell)
    Partly guessed that, same reason I was looking at estates/big hatches.
    You'll probably spend more in a year on bike parts than corolla parts...

Advertisement