Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a new PCI Graphics Card

Options
  • 12-01-2010 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to get an expendable desktop on my PC. (Across 2 monitors).

The PC is about 5 years old with PCI slots.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=513198
    Requirements
    Minimum of a 300 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amps)

How do I know my PC meets these requirements?

It is a HP compaq dc5100 sff model.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Elmo wrote: »
    Looking to get an expendable desktop on my PC. (Across 2 monitors).

The PC is about 5 years old with PCI slots.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=513198

How do I know my PC meets these requirements?

Take a picture of the side of the PSU thats in the case now and I'll be able to tell you if your good to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

You will have to open the case up and tell us what the PSU's sticker says

**Edit Deano beat me to it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Input = 100 - 240V

-5A 50 - 60 Hz

Ouput = 240W Max

+508V === + 3.33V === +12V ===
    14A 19A 7.5A

+12V CPU === -12v === + 5.06 Vaux ===
    12.5A 0.15A 3A

http://www.cwc-group.com/379349.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Holy ****! Isn't there a cheaper PCI card out there?! :eek: Or a PCIex1 card?

It'd be a lot cheaper to take a wee hacksaw to the end of the PCIex1 slot and fit a normal graphics card in there! Dremel Time methinks... :o

And you're very short on power as it is in there. I'd only recommend a G210; even a HD4350 or 9400GT could push the PSU's pathetic 12V rail given you've probably got most of it going to the CPU already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Input = 100 - 240V

-5A 50 - 60 Hz

Ouput = 240W Max

+508V === + 3.33V === +12V ===
    14A 19A 7.5A

+12V CPU === -12v === + 5.06 Vaux ===
    12.5A 0.15A 3A

http://www.cwc-group.com/379349.html

I wouldn't be running that on anything less than a PSU with 20 amps on the 12v rail.I'd upgrade the PSU just to be on the safe side

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    Holy ****! Isn't there a cheaper PCI card out there?! :eek: Or a PCIex1 card?

Thanks good question, I just quickly looked it up on the web.

I wouldn't be running that on anything less than a PSU with 20 amps on the 12v rail.I'd upgrade the PSU just to be on the safe side

Would I be better of getting a new PC? or go for the upgrade? What PSU would you recommend?

It'd wind up being a new PC probably; I doubt that PSU is ATX and the case and mobo are a custom form factor :(

If you can't find a low-profile G210 that sits in a PCI or PCIex1 slot, or you're unwilling to Dremel out the end of your current PCIex1 slot you'll have to forget about it on your current PC. I doubt a G210 would make the PSU pop given it uses under 1A of 12V power even when running stuff (woefully) in 3D.

I doubt a G210 would make the PSU pop given it uses under 1A of 12V power even when running stuff (woefully) in 3D.

Would it reduce the speed at which my PC runs? Currently it is okay.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Probably the best compromise so far that doesn't involve a Dremel... still worried about the ****ty PSU though...

• Advertisement

Probably the best compromise so far that doesn't involve a Dremel... still worried about the ****ty PSU though...

Could I install a new PSU?

Doubt it, custom HP jobbie AFAIK, not the same dimensions or mounting as a "normal" mATX PSU (which are usually a pain to source anyway! :o)

Doubt it, custom HP jobbie AFAIK, not the same dimensions or mounting as a "normal" mATX PSU (which are usually a pain to source anyway! :o)

So new PC? or otherwise waste some money on a Graphics card that could possible break the PC.

If all you want is to run a couple of extra monitors in 2D off your PC I'd risk the PCI 8400GS. Its a naff card but unless you're gaming or running HD movies its not really that big an issue. And as its actually less powerful than the 9400GT or G210 (they're die-shrinks of the 8500GT) I doubt it'll take the PC over the edge.

And even if the PSU was tripped, it'll just shut down and refuse to budge until the offending bit of hardware is taken back out. After all it is an OEM jobbie made by HEC or HiPro or Delta for HP. Its not going to "do a Raidmax" and detonate like an improvised explosive device :o

If all you want is to run a couple of extra monitors in 2D off your PC I'd risk the PCI 8400GS. Its a naff card but unless you're gaming or running HD movies its not really that big an issue. And as its actually less powerful than the 9400GT or G210 (they're die-shrinks of the 8500GT) I doubt it'll take the PC over the edge.

Sorry I don't Think I mentioned that the PC only has PCI slots. :o

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/PCI_Slots_Digon3.JPG

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

yeah that 8400GS i linked to is a PCI card

I was talking about this one. Its PCI :) And according to the PNY website includes the low-profile bracket. Allegedly. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Cherry beat me to it :rolleyes:

The bigger problem is that this way you have to run one monitor off the Intel onboard video and the other off the 8400GS unless you can find a way to hook up the second monitor to the TV-Out on the card, as the VGA port is removed on the low-profile version :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Sorry I don't Think I mentioned that the PC only has PCI slots. :o

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/PCI_Slots_Digon3.JPG

You really could have linked a lower res image!!

Considering on adverts you'd get the bones of a MUCH better PC for around 200, even throwing €70 into that machine is a false economy, and a waste of money.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=175570&cat=8 (just an example, I think its sold)

€275 really can't go wrong. (yes, it currently has built in gfx - but you can put any PCI-E card into it)

You really could have linked a lower res image!!

Considering on adverts you'd get the bones of a MUCH better PC for around 200, even throwing €70 into that machine is a false economy, and a waste of money.

I just wanted to make sure you could see it :)

Well I could go out and buy a better computer. Should I?

I just wanted to make sure you could see it :)

Well I could go out and buy a better computer. Should I?

Ha ha fair enough!

Should you?? Well that really depends on what you want it for. If its ok to do what you want, then should you? Probably not. If its the case you'd be updating it hoping it will be powerful enough to do what you want - then maybe you should - but it really depends on what you're prepared to spend.

• Advertisement

Should you?? Well that really depends on what you want it for. If its ok to do what you want, then should you? Probably not. If its the case you'd be updating it hoping it will be powerful enough to do what you want - then maybe you should - but it really depends on what you're prepared to spend.

Running Adobe CS4 from it, it doesn't seem that slow but I just want to be able to move between screens, it getting a bit of a pain working from one screen. It is not a big issue.

Running Adobe CS4 from it, it doesn't seem that slow

Owww...

You do know that a standard transform on a small raw image isn't supposed to take three days, right? :o

What are the exact specs on your machine?

IN fairness if its 5 y/o and you want to run new software on it (particularly CS4) I'd probably recommend you just buy a decent new PC - it won't cost an arm and a leg (providing you have a few quid to spend) and second hand components can be had a very reasonable prices if you chose to go that route.

What are the exact specs on your machine?

The original specs bar memory which is now 2GB. I think I will go out and buy a new PC. Thanks for your help. I had hoped that I would eventually upgrade as time went on.

You do know that a standard transform on a small raw image isn't supposed to take three days, right?

Yeah I knew it wasn't me :D

So have been researching new PCs came down to 2 so far.

So your advice would be greatly appreciate or if you know of any better offers/PCs out there.

http://www.elara.ie/products/compare.asp?Submit=Compare&comp1=S7414739&comp2=S6964430&comp3=&comp4=&ecomp1=ECE1868044&ecomp2=ECE1818299&ecomp3=&ecomp4=&using=searchable_attributes

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-083uk, Core i7 860 2.8GHz, Windows 7 Home Premium, 8GB RAM, 1.28TB (2 x 640GB) HDD, Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD LS, WiFi b/g/n, 15-in-1 Card Reader, 1Yr Warranty, Office Ready HP xw4600, Dual Core Xeon E8500 3.16GHz, Windows 7 Pro Downgrade-able to XP Pro, No Graphics, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVD+/-RW SM, 3Yr Warranty, Office Ready

HP xw4600, Dual Core Xeon E8500 3.16GHz, Windows 7 Pro Downgrade-able to XP Pro, No Graphics, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVD+/-RW SM, 3Yr Warranty, Office Ready

With the HP XW4600 I will have to install a graphics card but I am okay with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

for that money, you would build something so far better if you were up for a small challenge and buy the parts and put it together yourself.

if your capable of putting a graphics card in, then everything else is similiar if not easier.

take the price of the cheapest computer, and you will easily build better than the expensive one.

and dont forget, buying the parts seperatly, they still have a warranty!

case: antec 900 for €88 euro
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=20445&agid=631

motherboard: p55 ud3 for €112
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=29308&agid=1305
    usb 3.0 and sata3 support

cpu: core i5-750 €165
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=27949&agid=1300

ram: 6gb 3x2gb €142
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=24063&agid=1192

harddrive 2tb €266 sata 3
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=29539&agid=1342

gpu: 5770 €118
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28906&agid=1004

psu: corsair 750w €99
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=18776&agid=240

comes to a total of €990

but honestly, other's here will make a whole lot better.

You've gone from trying to upgrade an ancient HP to buying insanely overkill €1300 PCs?! :eek:

Now I know who knocked off that ATM... lol.gif

What exactly are you doing with this rig that needs an i7?! Even an i7 rig shouldn't come to anywhere near a grand, especially given the lack of gaming-grade graphics... The main reason I called time on that HP wasn't because it wasn't awesome enough, it was because it wasn't even pleasantly mediocre! :o Even a cheapie Core2 (or Athlon2, if Retouch Artists are to be believed...) rig would be a million times better for CS4 than a Pentium 4!

i7 desktop for two-thirds-of-a-grand shipped ;) Of course that's not including a new OS or monitors or anything...

HWVS290110.png

Even this is most likely overkill, you could probably get away with far less... than the much cheaper i5-750, I mean ;)

What about AMD processors?

They're mostly a bit more downmarket below even the i5-750 (not that they're completely inferior to it in all things, they're a bit cheaper usually is all). No AMD presence beyond there, and nothing to directly challenge the i7s. I also avoided them because you want to use Adobe CS4, which the Phenom/K10 architecture may or may not have issues with; bit of a mess there (all benchmarks say they're really bad at CS4 but the new Retouch bench suggests the complete opposite which is a bit awkward as it implies someone is lying through their arse and no-one knows who or how badly yet :o)

If you want to drop the price of the above build drop the CPU down to a i5-750 or even as low as a i3-530 (then overclock it :P). An AM3 build would neccesitate changing mobo as well; given the lack of good mATX AM3 mobos on HWVS I'd probably change the case back to a full ATX tower again; don't know if you need/want/prefer a desktop or not.

Here's an example AMD build in the same vein as the above. €510+ shipped:

HWVS290110a.png

Not the most powerful AMD build possible but a good compromise between cost, performance and heat/power requirement. To think not so long ago a 3GHz quad would be considered eye-poppingly fast... :o

• Advertisement

How do you feel about Midi Towers?

Advertisement