Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hipster Look

• 12-01-2010 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

I'm in art college and most girls seem to be rocking the hipster look. I love it but I'm so **** at putting clothes together. In fact I have no style at all.
    Right now I'm wearing a oversized Neil Young Tee, black tights and docs.
    I also wear jeggings with check shirts and cons.
    Any idea how I could hipster up these looks with accessories/make up and hair looks

thanks a mill

Pics would be great too :)

*I need to dress likie this for a job in American Apparel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Sorry.. But what's the "hipster look" ? :confused:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Léan wrote: »
    Sorry.. But what's the "hipster look" ? :confused:.
    http://www.latfh.com/

I'm not lookinbg to take it that far mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Fuck the hipster look, they all look silly and pretentious.

Just wear what YOU like!

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Fuck the hipster look, they all look silly and pretentious.

Just wear what YOU like!
    I like the hipster look lol

except some of the patterned vintage stuff that looks like my nannys carpet

• Advertisement

How is it a look? I don't get it :|

Do you have any other examples? Anything more serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

well if the students i saw on the open day in ncad is anything to go by you'll need:

leather jacket (fake or real)
    big hair or fringe
    dark or mute clothes
    dark eyeliner
    docs or miltary boots with tights and high chunky socks
    oversized tshirts or ripped up

go to allsaints for ideas.

Maybe dress to suit yourself though, just because its popular in college doesn't mean you need to be a clone. wear what you want.

Well If I want to get the job I was offered in American Apparel I dont really have a choice tbh

I used to work in Urban Outfitters so I used to have access to cheap clthes but they fired me because my look wasn't right for the company
    I can't afford that to happen again

DigiGal wrote: »
    Well If I want to get the job I was offered in American Apparel I dont really have a choice tbh

I used to work in Urban Outfitters so I used to have access to cheap clthes but they fired me because my look wasn't right for the company

Seriously?! They fired you because your look wasn't right? That's insane!
    Maybe look at websites like Lookbook for inspiration?

I haven't been in the AA in Dublin but i've been in a load of them in England, everyone seems to be dressed either very simply or very trendy e.g. big nerd glasses, fedora hats, suspenders etc..

oh so this is about dressing to suit a job? why didnt you say so lol just go buy some outfits from there or order online after picking out outfits arranged on the site already?

I'd go very simple with your clothes, but nice quality then really make a effort with shoes, hats, hair, nails ect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I know it's hard when a person starts a new college and I think you're still only finding your feet there, BUT art college is about expressing YOURSELF not others.

Go with the flow, wear what you like and what makes you feel comfortable. I think if you can't put the 'hipster' look together yourself there's no point trying as you'll be seen as a fashion victim and it will probably work out all wrong.

I'm 27 and only discovered what suits me and what I like in the last year or so. :o Be yourself and don't try so hard. People will like you more for it. Get chatting to people, one-on-one if poss to help you settle into college better.

....okay so you can disregard all that above and..

Look up blog sites (Twee knows a good few of them), urban outfitters, All Saints or Topshop websites for ideas. Also, check out etsy.com Some sellers have things styled really well. Just look at others around you at college and pick out things you like. You could also look up images of Alexa Chung and Ferne Cotton for ideas.

Edit: oh, it's for a job. Ah don't mind me so.....................

Seriously?! They fired you because your look wasn't right? That's insane!
    Maybe look at websites like Lookbook for inspiration?

I haven't been in the AA in Dublin but i've been in a load of them in England, everyone seems to be dressed either very simply or very trendy e.g. big nerd glasses, fedora hats, suspenders etc..
    Yeah, unfortunately you can be fired for any reason when you are under a probationary period and its extra annoying when the company keep extending it for no reason!

I'll have a look at that. Doesn't sound too difficult. The one in Dublin is pretty much the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I was about to post a link to "Look At This Fcuking Hipster", but not as a source of inspiration! Seriously, better off wearing what you want rather than looking for polaroids from the George Bernard Shaw. You'll end up having to chuck the whole wardrobe out in 6 months anyway :rolleyes:

I suppose most of what I wear could fall into this category (A lot of flannel, jumpers, proper trousers..... on one hand, and a keen eye for FILA, Adidas Originals, One True Saxon, Fred Perry etc. too) but its not purposeful, just what I like. Fads come and go. don't become the idiot in the oversized sweater with something "ironic" on it or try look like the front of a Crystal Castles CD.

If you're looking for nice 'hip' clothes, stir yourself towards Uniqlo or the endless amount of Retro stores on ebay where you'll get nice tracktops,tops etc. for next to nothing.

I always thought in an Irish/Brit context, hipster was near always used in a derogatory way? I know the look you have in mind but. I reccomend you go eBay. Once you do, you never go back ;)

Topshop, Uniqlo, All Saints, Acne, Adidas, Supreme and all the others are all worth millions, its not as 'hip' as we might think- but if you like it- buy it! If I can find some good online links I'll drop 'em here for you.

PrivateEye wrote: »
    I know the look you have in mind but. I reccomend you go eBay. Once you do, you never go back ;)

I'm sorry but etsy.com FTW!!!! :p

oh so this is about dressing to suit a job? why didnt you say so lol just go buy some outfits from there or order online after picking out outfits arranged on the site already?

I'd go very simple with your clothes, but nice quality then really make a effort with shoes, hats, hair, nails ect.
    I tried that with UO but they still weren't happy. In Fairness some of the clothes there were minging lol. I need a new haircut...any ideas

What's your hair like at the moment? Colour? Shape? A picture would help a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

If you're dressing for a job in retail, you basically just wear clothes from the store you work in to promote it or whatever. You're gonna be working in AA? Just buy some stuff from there, few pairs of leggings or some of those bodycon dresses and then accessorise however you like!

I tried that with UO but they still weren't happy. In Fairness some of the clothes there were minging lol. I need a new haircut...any ideas

whats your face shape, hair colour? do you have small or big features? TBH a haircut has to suit the person and without knowing what you look like there's no way of telling.

Ok I have a round face, big blue eyes, pale complexion, smallish pink lips. Small features apart from my eyes really.I look way younger than I am also

My hair is limp and brown , I used to have a side fringe but I let it grow out, same wiht my layers

I'll try and find a pic

What's your hair like at the moment? Colour? Shape? A picture would help a lot.
    Right here is the most poser like one I could find

K5WCd.jpg

the fringe is gone now though

• Advertisement

you should go have a edgy short cut- really looks mod.
    I'd also suggest changing your hair colour, mybe ice blonde? would look deadly with the big blue eyes and pale skin.

you should go have a edgy short cut- really looks mod.
    I'd also suggest changing your hair colour, mybe ice blonde? would look deadly with the big blue eyes and pale skin.
    Complete dye job is out of the question, I have really bad allergies i'll look like a puffer fish lol.
    I can dye the ends

all hair dye or have you tried henna? with way i think a strong haircuts the answer :)

Since colour is kinda out of the question; I'd suggest getting a really blunt, straight cut with some layers at the front to frame your face, with a blunt, thick fringe which would draw attention to your eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭muffy

I'm in art college and most girls seem to be rocking the hipster look. I love it but I'm so **** at putting clothes together. In fact I have no style at all.
    Any idea how I could hipster up these looks with accessories/make up and hair looks

thanks a mill

That sounds pretty hipster to me! Oversized tshirts are cool and docs are in.
    I'm not a fan of the overly hipster look, ie. someone who looks like they just went into topshop and bought whatever is on the manniquin! Wearing socks over tights seems to be the look of the moment, plus its practical. Try high waisted skirts, baggy tops and lace up shoes?

muffy wrote: »
    That sounds pretty hipster to me! Oversized tshirts are cool and docs are in.
    I'm not a fan of the overly hipster look, ie. someone who looks like they just went into topshop and bought whatever is on the manniquin! Wearing socks over tights seems to be the look of the moment, plus its practical. Try high waisted skirts, baggy tops and lace up shoes?

EDIT: Should of read whole thread! AA job? Sure they are all about the leggings and baggy tshirts! Simple items thrown together to look stylish! Like someone mention before, attention to detail with shoes and stuff can make an outfit (i like belts). But sure it has to be stuff you like and are comfortable in. Thats terrible you got fired from UO for such a reason, everyone has different tastes, it looks bad if the whole shop is full of big haired, small shoed clones! Needs more variety!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭wattsusieq

Sounds to me like you dress pretty hipster all ready,

Just stick to what your wearing already the jeggings and leggings and check shirts but maybe try mixing it up by layering. Like try wearing t-shirts over check shirts or dresses over jeggings or shorts over jeggings.

For a hair style I think a really short blonde style would suit you.

or an undercut

Check out this link from expose yesterday the second haircut would really suit you.

http://www.tv3.ie/xpose.php?gclid=CO2Z_7j5oJ8CFUgA4wodXRNkIw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Robbie444

thanks a mill

You do realize that your post is total contradiction right? A "hipster" is supposed to be someone who dresses very fashion concious but is supposed to look effortless. Basically cool vintage clothes such as thrift stores but put together well and alternative from mainstream fashion. Today however with the popularity of certain bands and television shows, the hipster look has become much more accepted and now every second person you see walking down the street dresses like one, i.e Scenesters! Here is a definition I found online
    "A scenester is someone who consciously tries to fit into a cultural scene based around a genre of music, art, film or other media. A scenester will adopt the fashion and habits of people in the scene (such as the comic book scene or the emo music scene) in an attempt to claim oneself as part of it"

Hipsters can usually spot 'scenesters' as their fashion is a bit too well coordinated and they have never listened to most records hipsters have listened to. But in Dublin, there are so many scenesters you will fit right in and look the part. Anyway the term 'Hipster' which used to be associated with cool people who dress funky and are in to music and art etc. now is asscoaited with anybody who dresses this way incl all scenesters, Emos etc and now most people hate hipsters as they think they are all pretentious assholes (which many may be).

Anyway this is was bound to happen like every type of fashion and there are still plenty of real 'hipsters' out there. Judging from your pic and the fact that you are in Art college, I'd say you are already sort of a hipster but if you are asking what to wear then you'd fall in to the scenester catagory. Ha, this stuff is so absurd isn't it?! Anyway just thought I'd school you on a bit of the back round of 'hipster' terminology.

Scenesters will usually dress in places like Urban outfitters, topshop, H&M while the more 'hipster' look usually shops in junky thrift stores, and American Apparel. Just wear what YOU think looks good, and then you will be cool. :)

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Mod Edit: Removing off topic banter
    Awh thanks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

I like your cut, Id go with a reddy colour though (achievable with henna), like the one on the right. Perhaps a heavier "model" fringe

coco-rocha-red-hair.jpg

Contrasting patterns are part of that look, try sailor stripes with a bright coloured animal print cardigan. Sounds awful, but some of my friends are your so called hipsters, and they get away with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

It's not really a "look" and if it looks that way, you're doing it wrong

Keep it to advice please - Larianne

Robbie444 wrote: »
    You do realize that your post is total contradiction right? A "hipster" is supposed to be someone who dresses very fashion concious but is supposed to look effortless. Basically cool vintage clothes such as thrift stores but put together well and alternative from mainstream fashion. Today however with the popularity of certain bands and television shows, the hipster look has become much more accepted and now every second person you see walking down the street dresses like one, i.e Scenesters! Here is a definition I found online
    "A scenester is someone who consciously tries to fit into a cultural scene based around a genre of music, art, film or other media. A scenester will adopt the fashion and habits of people in the scene (such as the comic book scene or the emo music scene) in an attempt to claim oneself as part of it"

Hipsters can usually spot 'scenesters' as their fashion is a bit too well coordinated and they have never listened to most records hipsters have listened to. But in Dublin, there are so many scenesters you will fit right in and look the part. Anyway the term 'Hipster' which used to be associated with cool people who dress funky and are in to music and art etc. now is asscoaited with anybody who dresses this way incl all scenesters, Emos etc and now most people hate hipsters as they think they are all pretentious assholes (which many may be).

Anyway this is was bound to happen like every type of fashion and there are still plenty of real 'hipsters' out there. Judging from your pic and the fact that you are in Art college, I'd say you are already sort of a hipster but if you are asking what to wear then you'd fall in to the scenester catagory. Ha, this stuff is so absurd isn't it?! Anyway just thought I'd school you on a bit of the back round of 'hipster' terminology.

Scenesters will usually dress in places like Urban outfitters, topshop, H&M while the more 'hipster' look usually shops in junky thrift stores, and American Apparel. Just wear what YOU think looks good, and then you will be cool. :)

This is what I was trying to get a, without using the scenster word. You are in Art College, you're already hip! Don't try to fit what is perceived as the "in" look. It's crap that you feel under pressure to do so. Maybe look in shops different from one you usually would, try Wildchild and vintage stores like that (I have found the odd nice dress in stores like Japan and that, where I would normally never go, but caught my eye walking by!). Mess around with your hair and some hair spray! If you feel like you want a new look then go for it! But feeling you have to change your look is not on.
    I think AA of all shops will appreciate that you don't prescribe to a certain look, as they sell quite basic items and more style orientated. I'd guess they want people with an obvious sense of style and knowing how to throw an outfit together, rather than someone who walked into Topshop or somewhere and copied the mannequins or whatever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

what happened my post?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Yur first post oufit sounds cool, oh and i have the same pet sounds t shirt- kudos. Two easy way outs are - check out what's on the mannequins in AA. Or if you see someone wearing something you like/think is suitable go ask em where they got it!

PS - a neil young t is always in fashion.

• Advertisement

Barname wrote: »
    what happened my post?

I deleted it, as it wasn't helpful to the OP.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Yur first post oufit sounds cool, oh and i have the same pet sounds t shirt- kudos. Two easy way outs are - check out what's on the mannequins in AA. Or if you see someone wearing something you like/think is suitable go ask em where they got it!

PS - a neil young t is always in fashion.
    Neil Young ftw :)

Advertisement