Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton T90si - No heat

• 12-01-2010 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I have a triton t90si in the house. Its coming up on 5yrs old. It has gradually been losing heat for the last year or so - the power has been whacked up full for the past 3 months with only luke warm water coming out.

It packed up proper over the weekend. Water is now icy cold coming out. Id say its probably the element as its been going for a while.

Where can i get spares and are they easy to fit. Im not a plumber or electrician so they need to be very easy to fit before ill even attempt it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Briantheplumber

clean the filter on it and it should do the trick, its prob been gradually getting clogged over the years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ratbag

earthridge maynoth are the distributors however they only carry parts for 3 years i think
    check if power going to element before you replace it , it could be a microswitch , tricky to test as shower has to be running to test properly ,
    if you have a test meter , with the power off at fuseboard disconnect wires to element & see if you have resistance across elements , there are 2 elements (4 connections) should give a resistance of around 11 ohms on 1 element & 15 across the other (roughly , cant remember exactly)
    be very carefull water & electricty :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Thanks for the replies.

Brian - I cleaned the fileter a couple of weeks back after reading about them in a similar thread. Didnt make any difference though.

Ratbag - im lost. May aswell have been reading chinese. I think ill need a sparks. Thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

If filter was clogged, there would be no water coming out whatsoever.

It sounds like the element is on the way out alright.

Has the water pressure (coming out of the shower head) increased in the last few months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Shower heating element built up a coating of limescale, more limescale = less heat, heat will gradually become weaker until element over heats as heat cant transfer through built up limescale quick enough.

5 years out of a shower is good, quit while your ahead and replace entire shower, replacing parts will cost just as much, another part may need replacing, limescale build up on element has other knock on effects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Rob113 wrote: »
    I have a triton t90si in the house. Its coming up on 5yrs old. It has gradually been losing heat for the last year or so - the power has been whacked up full for the past 3 months with only luke warm water coming out.

It packed up proper over the weekend. Water is now icy cold coming out. Id say its probably the element as its been going for a while.

Where can i get spares and are they easy to fit. Im not a plumber or electrician so they need to be very easy to fit before ill even attempt it.

My Triton T90i is installed 8 years altogether.. about 3 years ago it did what yours has done.

As far as I remember I got a number for Triton from directory enquiries who then gave me numbers of their authorised service plumbers in my area.

It was the thermostat and cost about €80 for the call out and new thermostat. Worked perfectly after that.

Also if you have hard water in your area it can build up and cause damage to the thermostat.. plumber advised always turn shower to cold before turning off, it blasts the bits out.. think of the Calgon ad, I can't remember what the build up is called.

Also clean the shower head.. limescale I think is what the build up is..

^^^^^^^ and what above poster said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

foxinsox wrote: »
    plumber advised always turn shower to cold before turning off,

It has the advantages of closing your pores too!

Should always be done really for the sake of your skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its limescale on the element or filter. It could be a blocked head. You can test this by soaking the head in clear vinager water 50/50 solution overnight. It will clean the head.

You can also test the wider worlds brains at

www.showerdoctor.co.uk

obv visit the forum page....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

foxinsox wrote: »
    My Triton T90i is installed 8 years altogether.. about 3 years ago it did what yours has done.

As far as I remember I got a number for Triton from directory enquiries who then gave me numbers of their authorised service plumbers in my area.

It was the thermostat and cost about €80 for the call out and new thermostat. Worked perfectly after that.

Also if you have hard water in your area it can build up and cause damage to the thermostat.. plumber advised always turn shower to cold before turning off, it blasts the bits out.. think of the Calgon ad, I can't remember what the build up is called.

Also clean the shower head.. limescale I think is what the build up is..

^^^^^^^ and what above poster said!

Calcification.

Water quality is the main problem, electric showers, kettles, immersions, cylinder coils, heating elements in wash machines, irons, hot water pipe work all suffer as a result of bad quality water, soon you'll have to pay for bad quality water on top of the damage bad quality water creates.

Costs around 700 to 1000 euro to have a water treatment system fitted, they are bulky and unsightly, If you've got a place to hide mini treatment plant along with not minding changing a bit of salt every now and again, you'll have trouble free heating elements.

Advertisement