Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 hours and a baby - a low mileage marathon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

At the rate we ride bareback in tallaght you'll have to multiply at a faster rate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Monday 24th

9.01 miles in 1:03:32 (7:03/mile). Commute plus a few miles. Legs ok.

Tuesday 25th

Overall: 6.82 miles

1.32 mile warmup in 11:11 (8:31/mile)
    8 hill sprints (alternating 452m and 233m, jog recoveries): 1:38, 48, 1:38, 48, 1:39, 47, 1:38, 47.
    2.22 mile c/d @ 7:07/mile

Club session up stocking avenue. Hard but enjoyable. I wasnt looking at the watch so was pleased to hit similar splits for each rep. It was windy, but thankfully not in our faces up the hills.

Wednesday 26th

9.00 miles in 1:03:21 (7:03/mile)
    same run as monday

Thursday 27th

Overall: 14.00 miles

2.00 mile w/up in 14:04 (7:02/mile)
    8.00 miles in 49:31 (6:11/mile)
    4.00 mile c/d in 28:40 (7:10/mile)

Couldnt get out until after the OHs run at nearly 9pm. Still, was a lovely windless evening and I was determined to make the most of it. Ran the faster miles on a little undulating 1.07 mile lap close to my house. Hard but controlled, def. could have kept going but decided to stop with the race on sunday. Was getting heavy legged coming up to 14. It has been a while since ive trotted home tired and satisfied at 10:30 pm :)

Friday 28th

6.01 miles in 41:18 (6:53/mile)

After some good training the noght before I follow it u with some stupid running on a windy day. Got caught for time and had to get back for a work lunch. Ended up going a little to fast on tired legs. Little training benefit at all.

Saturday 1st

5.12 miles in 37:26 (7:19/mile)

Possibly out too late for it to be a good idea (7pm) with a race in the morning. It was windy, but I took it easy. Legs felt better.

Sunday 2nd - Bohermeen half marathon

Wasnt sure how to approach this. PMP or race? In the end I decided to race it, mostly because Id told some lads from the club that I would and we had enough for team (turns out one of them was sick) and also because I suspected I might be just wimping out with this PMP business because I hadnt done much my way of speedwork over the last month or so. Got down there without much trouble, but almost mistimed my warmup and arrived at the front beside TRR with almost no time to spare before we were off. I had a previous PB of 1:21:01 from 2011.

I felt good in the first mile. There was a lad from the club who had run very well in dungarvan and I was with him for a while, but when he pushed on I decided to hold off as I didnt reckon I could match him given how well he had done there. I eventually settled in with two lads and Pauline Curley, who seemed to be running at my pace. First mile in 6:04. This felt suspiciously ok and so I just ran with them for a while (6:14, 5:58, 6:02).

After 4 miles they started to go a bit faster and the watch went well south of 6 min miles. I had a decision to make: go with them (knowing that I was skirting my LT pace) or let them go. I looked behind....nobody for a good bit, so if I let them go I was going to be alone for quite a while. This is one of the things I actually like about longer races, there is a certain amount of decision making to be done, not like a 5K where the only decision to have to make is whether or not to listen to your screaming lungs. I decided to let them go. Running at LT pace after 4 miles is risky with 9 left to run. No amount of company is going to help when the legs get heavy and youve 10K left to run as qickly as possible.....

They pulled away quickly to about 80 yards and caught my clubmate, and then they just dangled there for ages, not pulling away any further. I didnt mind this actually; it was a bit of a pain in the windy sections alright, but otherwise I wasnt really running alone, I had targets to concentrate on. I decided Id try to reel them in after 10 miles.

From 5-9 miles I just held pace, passing people who fell backwards from the decent group in front (5:56, 6:04, 6:10, 6:07, 6:12). After mile 9 there was a tiny little bit of downhill, and I was feeling ok, tired but not wrecked, so I decided to try to push it a mile early. Miles 10-11 were 5:57 and 5:58. Caught the group in front (all except Curley who had pushed on) on the 12th mile and I was knackered but gaining in confidence, then we went up a little hill. Ive been running in the hills for weeks, and I can tell you, this barely counts as one, but it sucked the last ounce of energy out of my legs. I was at 5:42 pace for that mile at the bottom and I was at 5:52 at the top :). Id been running on adrenaline, watching the group in front get closer and closer, then going by them quickly felt great, running with my clubmate for a bit was good too, but then I just suddenly wanted to just sit down. From flying to nearly crying in a matter of 300 yards or so. 12th mile was 5:53. The long home stretch was slightly down hill and into the wind, and I just couldnt make headway. It was my turn to dangle, I was straining every muscle in the hope that those behind me wouldnt come back, not daring to look around. Counting down the metres down to finish, I got a few shouts from brothers at the turn, and saw the clock still saying 1:19 something and mustered what last bits of energy I had for a sprint of sorts and got over the line without being passed. Last mile was 6:07 (felt like 11:07 :)). Overall 1:19:42 (officially 1:19:44). 6:05/mile, 36th place.

My clubmate nipped under 1:20 too, and ray and jcsmum has great runs, so good news all round.

Overall im happy with the race. Its a good course, and the wind was just strong enough to be a factor, but didnt ruin it. My lack of consistent speedwork had been a bit of a concern, so the PB was unexpected. Its my first proper PB (save 5Ks which I dont race often) for 16 months. Most pleased that I was banjaxed on the line and went for it in the last 4 miles, instead of wimping out like I did in my last race. Legs wrecked today. Looking forward to connemara now.

0.72 mile w/up and a nice 2 mile c/d with the clubmate and his brother to make it nearly 16 for the day.

Weekly mileage: 64.78

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Racing it was definitely the correct decision. Bigger confidence builder heading towards the marathon, congrats. Has the target time now changed for the marathon??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Didn't get to congratulate you after Sunday's race, was too busy stuffing my face with carrot cake.
    Fantastic time mister captain sir your majesty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You're in good form now for Connemara - and a PB attempt in Dublin?

• Advertisement

Racing it was definitely the correct decision. Bigger confidence builder heading towards the marathon, congrats. Has the target time now changed for the marathon??

Cheers. Yeah glad I raced it now. I dont have a target for Connemara. If it was a flat course id have no problem saying that im aiming for a PB now (s as I must be ok shape and have done the long runs; but for me the marathon is all about doling out the effort carefully until the last 10K, and the hills complicate that enormously. A little too hard here, not slow enough there, and pretty soon your glycogen is gone and with it your goal. So im going to try to race it by feel and try to go as fast as possible as carefully as possible :)
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Didn't get to congratulate you after Sunday's race, was too busy stuffing my face with carrot cake.
    Fantastic time mister captain sir your majesty.

Where was the carrot cake? I got a rice crispie bun (last one, homeopathic levels of chocolate) and two nice egg sandwiches. Well done yourself! Especially after a less than ideal week's prep.
    RayCun wrote: »
    You're in good form now for Connemara - and a PB attempt in Dublin?

Cheers Ray. Target in Dublin is to beat DrQuirky. Big ask. As far as i'm concerned there are only two people running in the DCM this year. He's talented and he knows how to train for and race a marathon, so for me to give him a race I suspect a rather big PB is going to be required.

He is still giving it socks on the attempted Bros Pearse cyberbullying :), but I suspect that might pipe down if I get fitter. We went for a run two sundays ago and I told him I hoped his kid was a screamer. I'm going to need all the help I can get :D

Its a long way away. Hopefully we can both stay healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Cheers Ray. Target in Dublin is to beat DrQuirky. Big ask. As far as i'm concerned there are only two people running in the DCM this year. He's talented and he knows how to train for and race a marathon, so for me to give him a race I suspect a rather big PB is going to be required.

He is still giving it socks on the attempted Bros Pearse cyberbullying :), but I suspect that might pipe down if I get fitter. We went for a run two sundays ago and I told him I hoped his kid was a screamer. I'm going to need all the help I can get :D

Its a long way away. Hopefully we can both stay healthy.

Hahahah…. I'd highly debate some of your praise here (I'm taking the Bros Pearse cyberbullying accusations as a compliment) but I'll take it. No verdict on the kid as yet as she isn't home but I am managing to nip out for a run today ;) Nice running on the weekend Tbb - you're looking pretty damn good for Connemara.

DCM is gonna be some battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Where was the carrot cake? I got a rice crispie bun (last one, homeopathic levels of chocolate) and two nice egg sandwiches. Well done yourself! Especially after a less than ideal week's prep.

QUOTE]

Some lady from the club had a big container of cake!
    And yes, pretty happy with Sunday's time despite the rubbish few weeks leading up to it. Gives me a good bit of confidence for my next half. Your confidence must be sky high for Conn.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Ticking along nicely Stephen!! Great to see u back in injury free, enjoying ur training and posting a nice Pb ... Just remember to lay of the Jammie on the eve of Conn and ul b fine ;)

liamo123 wrote: »
    Ticking along nicely Stephen!! Great to see u back in injury free, enjoying ur training and posting a nice Pb ... Just remember to lay of the Jammie on the eve of Conn and ul b fine ;)

hahaha thanks liam. No fear of pre race whiskey shenanigans this time. Good to hear from you - hope you are out on the roads.

Monday 3rd

7.00 miles in 50:07 (7:10/mile) Commute. Quads very sore.

Tuesday 4th

7.01 miles in 48:46 (6:58/mile) Commute. Quads quite sore

Wednesday 5th

7.00 miles @ 7:06/mile. Commute. Quads just a little sore. Watch caved in before I got home.

Thursday 6th

8.00 miles in 55:31 (6:56/mile).
    Out late just before 9pm. Quite windy.

Friday 7th

11.00 miles overall

0.34 mile w/up in 2:28 (7:17/mile)
    6 miles steady: 6:21, 6:18, 6:23, 6:20, 6:18, 6:18
    rest at 7:18/mile ish

I was not feeling great heading out on this. I was fairly tired and it was 8:30 pm. Felt sluggish on the 6 steady (which was planned as 10 steady) so eased up and just made it up to 11. Race still in the legs and a busy week at work.

Saturday 8th

5.05 miles in 35:10 (6:57/mile)

A masterpiece in squeezing a run in between parenting, chauffeuring, executing a suprise party, watching rugby. I think I also broke some kind of record for showering after. Very windy. Legs felt a bit better.

Sunday 9th

21.00 miles in 2:22:25 (6:47/mile)

6.00 miles @ 6:55/mile
    15.00 miles @ 6:43/mile

Had planned a morning run but the little one had a bug, so didnt get out until nearly 5pm in the end. Light but perceptible winds. Planned some kind of PMP run, but on the road I felt a little sluggish, so I settled for a decent clip that I reckoned I could sustain without trouble. After 6 miles id warmed up and picked up the pace a little, but still keeping the breathing easy. Finished in lovely drizzle. Happy with this. Was tired at 20 miles, but youre always tired at 20 miles. Legs felt pretty good for a run at that pace.

Weekly mileage: 66.06 miles

• Advertisement

March 10th

7.00 miles in 49:35 (7:05/mile)
    . Commute

Tuesday 11th

Overall: 9.00 miles

0.5 mile w/up in 3:32 (7:05/mile)
    3.56 hilly tempo in 21:24 (6:00/mile)
    rest at ca.7:15/mile

Club tempo. Perfect evening, cold, no wind. Was running late so curtailed w/up. This starts at the bottom of stocking lane, then up the hill and then undulating down to ballycullen and then back, with another big climb in the last mile. This was a proper lung buster, I wanted to stop at the top of stocking lane and little more than pride kept be going. Tough but good.

Wednesday 12th

7.00 miles in 49:04 (7:01/mile). Commute. Late out of work. No wind, this was all I had time and energy for.

Thursday 13th

12.00 miles in 1:15:43 (6:18/mile)

I was tired heading out for this but wanted to make the most of the windless weather, which was due to end the next day, so I headed out at 8:40pm. No warmup, just straight into it. Managed ok - pretty controlled until the last 2 miles when I started to pick the pace up a bit. Enjoyed it in the end.

Friday 14th

6.00 miles in 42:07 (7:00/mile) Just got this squeezed in at lunchtime along the sea.

Saturday 15th

6.00 miles in 40:44 (6:47/mile) Also squeezed in before lunch. Too fast, windy, didnt feel great.

Sunday 16th

Overall: 20.00 miles in 2:23:06 (7:09/mile)

0.64 mile w/up in 4:37 (7:10/mile)
    3.20 mile climb in 25:20 (7:55/mile)
    4.1 mile descent in 26:01 (6:21/mile
    4.09 miles flat in 29:24 (7:11/mile - inc. two drinks)
    3.2 mile climb in 25:19 (7:55/mile)
    52 sec rest with watch running
    4.1 mile descent in 25.51 (6:19/mile)
    0.84 miles flat in 5:40 (6:46/mile)

I didnt feel great before this. A little light headed. Can be a sign of low iron (im a vegetarian so always have to watch this), but might have been something else. Really didnt want to head out in the wind, but reckoned id be annoyed for a week if I didnt and its only three weeks to go. Felt sluggish on the run the whole way. Initially had planned on 22, then 21, but by the time id done the cruagh the second time I knew id be wrecked just getting to 20. In hindsight, these long ones in the hills force you to horse through your sugar on the climbs, so they might be equivalent (in glycogen-depletion terms) a longer run.

Despite feeling like c**p all the way I broke my lsr record for the climb on both occasions. The first time up I followed a cyclist (decent one from bray wheelers). No chat while climbing, but we were moving at the same pace and exchanged a few words when we went over the top. Nice chap, but he seemed genuinely surprised that a runner could be fit. Second time up was a real trial - I stubbornly (perhaps unwisely) refused to slow down. After I staggered over the top, jelly legged but one second faster than before, I had to take 52 secs (watch running) to enjoy the view - of my knees and runners :). No appetite to gun the descent, and I was wrecked for the rest of the day (and still not 100% now).

Think I have some mild bug. Hopefully thats my bad day out of the way.
    Good week overall - a tempo, a steady run and a suffer-fest included.

Weekly mileage
    : 67.00

Monday 17th

6.00 miles in 42.40 (7:07/mile). Mrs BB was working in dubai, my brother minded the little one while I squeezed this in between a visit to the zoo and a visit to the playground. Windy. Felt like crap. Definitely had a bug.

Tuesday 18th

6.23 miles in 44:50 (7:12/mile)

Proper stomach bug all day. Pains in the stomach and I visited flatulence on the poor passengers of Dublin Bus that was frankly an abomination. Against this backdrop - I decided to run home.

Felt ok-ish until I reached rathfarnham village. As I approached the scholarstown road I was in a bad way call-of-nature-wise. Then, like a sanitary taj-mahal, loomed Buglers pub in the distance. I will always be grateful for their empty cubicle and a supply of jacks roll that day. So, so, lucky to make it. Stupid decision to run home when clearly ill.

Wednesday 19th and Thursday 20th

Nothing. With the illness, doing all the kid prep alone and a data catastrophe at work, I couldnt get out. My wife travels a bit for her work, and every time she does im reminded how hard single parents have it. Modern day heroes - dont know how they do it.

Friday 21st

10.00 miles in 1:09:01 (6:54/mile)

Out at 8:40. Nice evening. Glad to get back out running.

Saturday 22nd

7.80 miles in 52:54 (6:44/mile).
    Squeezed in on a windy afternoon. Felt ok.

Sunday 23rd

20.00 miles in 2:20:10 (7:00/mile)

0.66 mile w/up in 4:44 (7:09/mile)
    3.19 mile climb in 24:53 (7:49/mile)
    4.1 mile descent in 26:01 (6:21/mile)
    4.14 miles flat in 29:24 (7:06/mile - inc. two drinks)
    3.19 mile climb in 25:16 (7:56/mile)
    4.1 mile descent in 25:22 (6:12/mile)
    0.66 miles flat in 4:29 (6:48/mile)

Felt better heading out than last week. It was a bit windy but not too bad. Both climbs faster than last week, and went under 25 mins for the first time. Went by a few lady cyclists the second time up who didnt like being 'out jogged'. I wanted to glance gracefully and fire off some devastating Wildean riposte, but all I managed was a sweaty grimace and a little wave.

Weekly mileage:

Not a great one after a few decent and consistent weeks, but given the illness and OH being away it could have been worse. Two weeks to go.

Felt ok-ish until I reached rathfarnham village. As I approached the scholarstown road I was in a bad way call-of-nature-wise. Then, like a sanitary taj-mahal, loomed Buglers pub in the distance. I will always be grateful for their empty cubicle and a supply of jacks roll that day. So, so, lucky to make it. Stupid decision to run home when clearly ill.

Love it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Weekly mileage:

Not a great one after a few decent and consistent weeks, but given the illness and OH being away it could have been worse. Two weeks to go.

I've always thought its an awful pity they don't have some kind of a wind down period in training prior to a marathon...like where you'd back off the training a bit say 3 weeks out from the marathon date? If there was such a period in training (I'd call it 'wind down phase' or maybe tapering or even taper???) you wouldn't feel so bad about only getting 50 miles in while sick 3 weeks out....in fact it would read like a good week but in the absence of such a 'tapering' thing I guess you have no option but to feel bad.

Seriously though, tell me that was that the last 20 miler?

Gringo78 wrote: »

Seriously though, tell me that was that the last 20 miler?

hahaha yeah thats it. 13 this sunday. Ive always felt 3 weeks is too long for me, and ive been light on speedwork this cycle (decent training but pretty unstructured) so I did the 20. I didnt have that usual knackered feeling where you are looking forward to the taper. Might even be a bit undercooked, which is better than overcooked i suppose. Tapering now alright though.

Monday 24th

6.00 miles in 42:46 (7:08/mile)

Lunchtime run along the coast. Heavy legs.

Tuesday 25th

Overall: 6.65 miles

1 mile w/up in 6:30 (late!)
    30 min continuous fartlek: 0.21 mile fast, 40-50 sec recovery.

68, 68, 67, 66, 67, 66, 65, 68, 68, 65, 65, 65, 65, 66, 65, 60. (5:10-5:15/mile avg.)

This is a good session, we did it on a bridge over the M50, so there is a significant enough rise and fall each rep.

Rest as cooldown

Wednesday 26th

6.16 miles in 42:36 (6:55/mile). Commute. Felt ok.

Thursday 27th

Rest

Friday 27th

Overall: 10.02 miles

First 7 miles were at 6:29/mile ish (garmin all over the place for the first 1.55 miles). Then some easier running. Tough run, it was a little windy, and I got properly hailed on, then rained on. Felt freezing cold through some of this, but got it done.

Saturday 28th

6.26 miles in 45:54 (7:20/mile)

Nice evening run in the fog. Met a clubmate on the way round and stopped for a chat before finishing the last mile.

Sunday 29th

13.00 miles in 1:29:33 (6:53/mile)

Ran down to marlay, did a few laps and came back. Got a bit caught out twice here: firstly, had to head to the jacks again (hope thats my bad digestive luck out of the way!) and secondly, it was way warmer than it has been recently, and I didnt bring water or drink enough beforehand, so was quite thirsty by 10 miles. Ran at 7 min mile pace for the first 9 and then speeded up a little for the last few miles.

Two days after surviving a hailstorm I get my first sunburn of the year :confused:

Weekly mileage: 48.09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Tuesday 25th

Overall: 6.65 miles

1 mile w/up in 6:30 (late!)
    30 min continuous fartlek: 0.21 mile fast, 40-50 sec recovery.

68, 68, 67, 66, 67, 66, 65, 68, 68, 65, 65, 65, 65, 66, 65, 60. (5:10-5:15/mile avg.)

This is a good session, we did it on a bridge over the M50, so there is a significant enough rise and fall each rep.

The Spawell Roundabout by any chance? definitely a tough session if so

Looks like all systems go for Conn man

ecoli wrote: »
    The Spawell Roundabout by any chance? definitely a tough session if so

Looks like all systems go for Conn man

Next bridge south of the spawell. Cheers. Looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Best of luck this weekend. You've had a great consistent run in training and your LSR's have been tailor made for connemarathon so you'll smash it. Take it easy up the first hill though! Let rip on the second.

Btw That was me shouting at you today on your run…just trying intimidation tactics (or may actually have been down registering the new baby on Lombard st)

At any rate good luck this weekend, I'll be watching the results with interest and believe it or not cheering you on.

Let us know how it feels to be the first runner in your club by 30/45 mins, I don't think any of us Tallaght AC lads would know… we'll let you know how our sub 2:20 guy gets on :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hopefully bump into you during the race, from my first-hand vantage point. Hoping you have a cracker, and maybe see you afterwards in Peacockes for a tasty beverage.

Good luck. Break a leg. From all you friends and well wishers in Tallaght AC ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Best of luck on Sunday, don't envy you with those hills! (At least mine is flat!).
    Your solid training deserves (another) good race.

(I will never admit to writing this so if anyone asks my account has been hacked :D)

Best of luck at the weekend. Training has gone very well and no matter what happens enjoy it and remember how far you have come since you pre christmas injuries. There is a serious time for the taking off the training you have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Good luck Stephen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Very best of luck Stephen....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Wow, hard to believe it's conn Time. Good luck TBB, pretty sure you will still PB despite the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Best of luck tomorrow Stevo.

May the road rise to meet you and the wind be always at your back.

Well the road will rise before you anyway, that's one thing we know for sure:p. It is Connemara after all

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck Stevo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Best of luck tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Badreputation

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Good luck TBB!

Thanks for the good wishes folks. 2:52:23. I think 8th but will have to see. Happy enough.
    Nice tailwind first half but the wind and hail on the hotw was murder. Blow you 3m off course strong. Report during week.

Gary a super 3rd in the half.

Thanks for the good wishes folks. 2:52:23. I think 8th but will have to see. Happy enough.
    Nice tailwind first half but the wind and hail on the hotw was murder. Blow you 3m off course strong. Report during week.

Gary a super 3rd in the half.

Quirky is hyperventilating into a paper bag after seeing this result given the poor conditions. :p

Super running man fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great run - well done

• Advertisement

Great running man. I'm impressed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Nice work Stevo. Sub 2:50 easily so on a more forgiving course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Awesomeness Steve!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Super stuff Steve, well deserved. I heard conditions were horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Savage running - on that course, on that day..2:52. Wow.
    Easy sub-2:50 on a normal course and day.

• Advertisement

Monday 31st

6.28 miles. Commute, watch wouldnt find the signal and didnt have tme to wait.

Tuesday 1st

7.03 miles in 46:45 (6:42/mile). Good run, did two 'PMP' miles slightly uphill at the end which felt ok.

Wednesday 2nd

6.21 miles in 43:35 (7:01/mile). Commute.

Thursday 3rd

5.00 miles in 36:44 (7:21/mile). Nice lunchtime run in sean moore park.

Friday 4th
    rest

Saturday 5th

4.06 miles in 26:32 (7:19/mile)legs felt good

Sunday 6th

Connemarathon: a 26.2 mile time trial

Training

This wasnt perfect beforehand, but I was happy enough with it. I had done loads of long runs (8 x 20/20+ since christmas) but speedwork had been neglected relative to preparations for other marathons. I wasnt too worried about this - id rather have the long runs done than speedwork if I could only have one. Id been running 65 miles a week most weeks since christmas without any problems. A half marathon in bohermeen had gone well at the beginning of march.

Buildup

Work was mental, and I had gotten very little sleep in the few days before the race (maybe 3-4 hours max a night, still have a bit of insomnia now). A friend drove down on the saturday and I kept pretty much off the feet all day. No injuries though.

Race

It was lashing getting on to be buses and quite windy. Thankfully this stopped as we were waiting to start. I didnt have a time in mind - a couple of months ago I was saying to KC that 2:52 would be great, but with missed speedwork and sleep I decided just to run by feel. The night before the race I read one of his race reports (Barcelona) as he does this all the time in marathons. I felt a bit sheepish going right up the front at the start, shook hands with two other lads there and we were off, bang on time.

First half

The first mile was a shock. Looking at the results from previous years I reckoned I had a chance of a high finish, and was hoping to find a group to tip along with. Instead 9 lads legged it off. I mean legged it, they must have been running sub 6 min miles because I was pretty much on my own after 50 yards, and didnt run with anyone again for more than a few seconds for the rest of the race. I basically tried to find a comfortable pace, which, with the wind at my back was about 6:25 ish/mile. I kept to this, and promised myself that I wouldnt get out of breath for any part of the first half. The first 6 miles are a slight incline overall - 6:24, 6:22, 6:27, 6:28, 6:45 (bit of a rise), 6:27.

The other runners were now gone out of sight ahead of me, and I didnt want to look behind but could see at bends etc that I had at least 400 yards on the guys behind. I passed two ultra runners but nobody else. The first indication that I might have a good day came at the start of the first real hill, I felt great going up this and in the end didnt have to give up much time (6:43 for the uphill 7th mile, 6:24 for mile 8 (bit of rise and fall but net level, and 6:25 for mile 9). There was a fantastic downhill stretch into leenane which I really enjoyed (6:11, 6:01) an there was even some drizzle to cool me down. A more or less flat mile (6:26) brought me to the half way point. Not sure of my split (I ran across the mat but they didnt put the result up) because I had the bezel locked on account of the rain. The watch said 6:30 average pace, and it agreed with the mile markers, so id say 1:25. I was feeling great - I was tenth, and I knew that that pace with the wind having been mostly at my back meant I hadnt overcooked it with a hillier 2nd half into the wind to come.

2nd Half - act I
    ('in control')

I hope this doesnt come across as trying to show off, but I actually enjoyed the decent hill at mile 14. I felt light and strong, moving with short little strides, and for the first time I could see another marathon runner in the distance which gave me a massive boost. Miles 14 and 15 up the hill were 6:52 and 7:01. I caught the chap at the top of the hill, and after the briefest of chats I was alone again. There was a nice long descent with the wind in my face, and then a series of little rises and falls over the next few miles. I tried just to keep effort constant: 6:35, 6:39, 6:37, 6:19, 6:17. I was passed by the leading three half marathon runners and had a quick chat with KC (super to see a friendly face you know after all those lonely miles) who glided by, but I couldnt see any other marathon runners. I asked a few of the walkers where the next guy was, which they seemed to think was hilarious.

2nd half - act II ('WTF?')

Id now reached the bottom of the HOTW feeling very good for this stage of a marathon. Tired to be sure, but more or less in control. As I started to climb a bit I focused on the little KC-shaped spot in the distance and keeping decent form. Half a mile later I was shattered. Absolutely shattered. The wind was really strong. No exaggeration - I thought it would blow me over. Theres a pic from a photographer out there of me losing my balance (imagine fred astaire suddenly needing the toilet in the middle of a heel click in mid air) and nearly going into the ditch - all from a starting point in the middle of the road. I was really starting to struggle....mile 22 was 6:29, 23 was 6:57 and 24 was 7:38! I passed the chap in 8th place being coaxed up the hill by a lad on a bike (legal?) but got no satisfaction from it I was so knackered.

Right calf and left hamstring started to spasm in the 24th mile in a big way: this often happens to me in the 26th mile but never this early before. It was very sore but I tried to ignore it and hoped it wouldnt snap. It seemed to never end, longer than beepbeep67's streak, longer than any CL race report. Then, suddenly, I was at the top. Id had planned to really spend whatever energy I had left hurtling down the hill, but the wind was right in the face and I had no energy to spend. The now traditional end of marathon crankiness started...'where is the line'? 'Jesus why can I hear the announcer?' 'This course had better not be long'. It was agony. Mile 25 in 6:21, in the long stretch to the finish I wasnt enjoying it at all, nearly spent, struggling not to lose time in the wind.

I approached the 2nd place ultra runner as we neared the line (mile 26 was 6:42). I briefly thought about generously letting him finish on his own and coast in, but then recognised him as the only runner on the donadea course who didnt return TRR and my cheerful, chirpy chat as we crossed paths on the course, and in my cranky, mean-spirited state I sprinted past him and over the line.

Not my finest decision in retrospect. The man was probably just knackered in donadea and didnt know what he was missing by ignoring two sparkling conversationalists like us. I'll have to work on the late-marathon meanness in future. Overall: 2:52:24 (8th place)

I felt very weak the second I stopped and had to grab a barrier for support. I was watched like a hawk by a paramedic who had me down for a bit of excitement, but was fine a little while later. Chatted with KC (many thanks to his fiend for the endless supply of sugar) and met up with a clubmate and the lads I came down with.

I'm happy enough with it. On the plus side I looked at the watch a lot less than usual and kind of knew what effort I should have been running at. The cramping is a little worrying - just lucky that didnt stop me like it did AMK. Hope it doesnt happen again. If im being honest there is a small disappointment that a few faster lads turned up - I wont get too many opportunities to win a prize in a race people might have heard of, and most years that time would get you in the mix for a vase biggrin.png

Its a beautiful and well-organised, if lonely, race.

Serious whiskey and guinness-based debriefing in Galway after. Onwards now. Week off. Then slowly build for my date with Quirky. Thanks again for the kind wishes beforehand, they are great to read in the days before a race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I approached the 2nd place ultra runner as we neared the line (mile 26 was 6:42). I briefly thought about generously letting him finish on his own and coast in, but then recognised him as the only runner on the donadea course who didnt return TRR and my cheerful, chirpy chat as we crossed paths on the course, and in my cranky, mean-spirited state I sprinted past him and over the line.

Just checked the results to see who it was. Interesting ;););)

Well done on that race. Was that PB?

menoscemo wrote: »

Thanks. No pb is 2:49

menoscemo wrote: »

He's a narky fcuker. I'm glad you out sprinted him TBB, pity to didn't launch the windmill ;)

Great report I really enjoyed that, any link to the photo?

TRR wrote: »
    He's a narky fcuker. I'm glad you out sprinted him TBB, pity to didn't launch the windmill ;)

Great report I really enjoyed that, any link to the photo?

Cheers TRR. A friends girlfriend showed me the pic on her phone. I did a quick search there and cant find it. Ill ask her where she found it. But for the ridiculous face im pulling youd swear it was staged.

As for the windmill, that made me lol, you would have probably done that too :) unfortunately my end of marathon gait is so bad theres a good chance that I could launch the windmill and nobody would notice.

.........hills, wind, isolated and a 2:52!
    Amazing performance.

Amazing performance.

I think what AMK is trying to say is what we are all thinking ......... SHORT COURSE :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

super report, brought it all back to me from last year. Great race. The guy on the bike helping the runner on the hill is a little unethical being at the sharp end of the field. Ah well. The Leenane pic of you is a keeper for sure, I'd be framing that.

statss wrote: »
    Ah well. The Leenane pic of you is a keeper for sure, I'd be framing that.

It looks well on Digger/CL's sitting room wall - they got a nice frame too.

Amazing performance.

Cheers AMK!
    TRR wrote: »
    I think what AMK is trying to say is what we are all thinking ......... SHORT COURSE :D

:)

Git.
    statss wrote: »
    super report, brought it all back to me from last year. Great race. The guy on the bike helping the runner on the hill is a little unethical being at the sharp end of the field. Ah well. The Leenane pic of you is a keeper for sure, I'd be framing that.

Thanks. Yeah a rare nice oic of me smiling in a race rather than my usual constipated steptoe :)
    It looks well on Digger/CL's sitting room wall - they got a nice frame too.

hahaha nicely framed in a pair of boxers :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement