Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 hours and a baby - a low mileage marathon?

1252627282931»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Monday 10th

8.01 miles in 55:27 (6:55/mile)

Windy, lashing rain. Commute

Tuesday 11th

Overall: 8.74 miles

1.61 mile w/up
    6 x 5 mins tempo, 1 min rec.: 0.84 miles (5:58/mile), 0.89 miles (5:37/mile), 0.85 miles (5:55/mile), 0.89 miles (5:36/mile), 0.85 miles (5:53/mile), 0.91 miles (5:30/mile)
    1.73 miles c/d
    Club session. Weather hadnt been great all day but it improved just before this. We started at Mortons pub and ran west along the firhouse road, so odd numbered reps are steadily uphill, evens downhill. First speedwork since the marathon, happy with how it went, felt in control and could have done more reps if I had to.

Wednesday 12th

7.01 miles in 48:39 (6:56/mile)

Nice evening for a commute

Thursday 13th

Overall: 10.61 miles
    6.13 miles at ca. 6:55/mile
    then 4.31 miles steady in 26:50 (6:13/mile)
    Ok evening for this, there was wind, but not too strong. Ran to close to the house, hid the phone in a well trimmed bush and did 4 steady miles. These felt ok, perhaps not as easy as I would have liked, but not hard either. The plan is to stretch this out as I get closer to the race.

Friday 14th

8.14 miles in 55:41 (6:50/mile)

After a busy morning in work extended int earlier afternoon, I was hungry but keen to get out for this. It was a bit windy, but I enjoyed going out to the seafront and down towards blackrock and back. Some chap tried to race me on the way back - instead of having a chat he ran just behind me for a coupe of miles. Then sprinted by me as we reached irishtown. :confused:We blokes can be right weirdos.

Saturday 15th

18.5 miles in 2:05:49 (6:48/mile)
    My wife was going to be staying overnight on a family boozeup in the sticks, so I thought I had a narrow window to get an LSR in. Did this around knocklyon. Lovely cool morning for a run - felt great on this.

Sunday 16th

10.01 miles in 1:09:36 (6:57/mile)

The little one woke me at 6am. 'Singing' (let it go, let it goooo, cant hold it back any mooooorrre). My brother took her her off my hands later so I headed out. Another very enjoyable cold run, little warmup, up to cruagh and back down again.

Shep lives!

Summary: 70 miles, 30 mins at lactate threshold, nearly 27 mins at aerobic threshold, 0 mins at crest load. A good start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

So is Donadea 50k the goal race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Excellent training TBB, great consistency. Reads like early base work training, what's the longer term plan with this training cycle?

menoscemo wrote: »
    So is Donadea 50k the goal race?

Yip. Enjoyed the 8 laps last year and I want one of those t-shirts.
    pconn062 wrote: »
    Excellent training TBB, great consistency. Reads like early base work training, what's the longer term plan with this training cycle?

Cheers pconn. Yeah. It will pretty much resemble base training all the way until the long runs crank up. The loads will be progressive. My idea is that since the 50K is a basically a 100% (or close to it) aerobic event, its a good excuse to try to start to build the kind of really strong aerobic base that ive never had in previous years (due to either silly training, injury layoffs or both). I'd love to be able to race it well, and know that afterwards I have the foundations to run a much faster marathon next year.

I'm going to try to spend longer on my feet every day, increasing slowly.

The plan is loose becuase its harder for me to be sure of training times in the winter. Two sessions a week - one will be the club session on tuesdays. These alternate between VO2max stuff and LT work on successive weeks (Lydiard is spinning in his grave - but I wont be hammering these and they will be part of 9-11 mile runs: I dont want to completely lose touch with speed). Then most thursdays will be a steady run - starting with 10 miles with 4 steady last week leading hopefully to some runs with over 70 mins at steady pace.

Long runs will be every week (maybe with 1-2 recovery weeks of shorter LSRs), building to at least 2 x 24 and I will hopefully run one marathon in preparation - if I can find one at the right time, maybe one of the EOI ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

nice week but you're still running too bloody fast! Every run last week was sub 7 minute pace. Ease back a bit on these and you should have more gas in the tank for the sessions!

• Advertisement

nice week but you're still running too bloody fast! Every run last week was sub 7 minute pace. Ease back a bit on these and you should have more gas in the tank for the sessions!

Cheers TRR. Part of this is commutes from town along busy routes - lot of stop/start at lights (4-6 mins usually - very annoying). If I left the watch on my average pace would be 7:30+ ish. But sometimes I just go too fast. A lot of the time i'm just rushing to get back home for something or other.

I should be running a little more slowly than currently on mondays and wednesdays, i.e. before and after LT-and-faster sessions. I'm going to try to do this. When the thursday steady runs get longer i'll have to on friday as well.

On other runs i'd not keen on slowing too much - im within the McMillan ranges. If I put my 10 mile time into McMillan (marathon was on an awful day) I get easy runs 6:33-7:30. Mid point in the easy run zone is 7:01/mile. Personally I believe its best for me to be slightly at the faster end, because I cant seem to put myself in enough of a jocker in sessions like others (no matter what I do in preceeding days - and ive tried everything) and I recover quickly from tempo stuff (but not from VO2max stuff - which kills me). For this race at least, I want to be as strong as possible aerobically, and wont be hammering sessions.

Its a can 'o' worms, but i've been reading a bit of Canova (book and letsrun posts) and a lot of Lydiard recently. Canova is tougher because he only talks about elites usually, but Lydiard isnt. I'm beginning we're addicted to running slowly too often.

'Hard days hard, easy days easy' is a great maxim: when hard days are hard. If you run one hard session a week for example, and take it really handy on all other days - is this optimal? Is it a good Idea that easy pace doesnt change much year on year?

Dont get me wrong, I like my easier runs, and I make sure that the pace feels conversational. For me, MP +30 sec really isnt stressful at all, I'm a slow, endurance type. Its anything faster than LT that I really dread. You must avoid injury of course, but for me, the idea that one can plod around most of the week at MP+ 70-90 sec or so and hope that this will stimulate your aerobic system (especially if you are running for years) just doesnt make sense, unless you are really running a lot of miles, and more miles than before at that. MP is a pace you can hold for hours, MP+ 70 just isnt a challenging pace at all. No stress = little improvement.

In my view, improvement comes from stress and recovery. We amateurs do less hard sessions now (I think, in general) than were being done when these everyday phrases like the 'hard-easy principle' were coined, but we have retained the constant jogging around, 'recovering' from not very much at all. I found I cant run two hard sessions a week if one is VO2max, my gait is ridiculous and I tend to break down, no matter what I do in between.

Lydiard's lads ran (not jogged - I mean by effort) in their base phase. No sessions, but constant decent effort ('pleasantly tired' I think was the phrase). Their results speak for themselves. This is a personal thing, for someone else who can run two sessions hard a week without getting injured, I reckon jogging in between is the thing to do. I'm writing this to hopefully stimulate debate rather than being stubborn, and am probably out on a limb, but am interested if any others have been thinking like this?

[no comments, no likes, closes log :)]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I was reading an article yesterday on runnersworld about this very topic. http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/the-easy-day-pace?page=1

It was comparing the easy day pace of Mo Farah and Sally Kipyego among others and debating the rights and wrongs of both approaches. It's an interesting topic. As long as a runner knows what stress they're capable of handling on each run a faster pace can be beneficial but for beginners and novice runners it's probably better to err on the safe side and go at a slower pace. Or maybe the answer is just to vary the pace so that some easy days are at the faster end of the spectrum and some days are slower. I don't think there's one right answer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

I know I am probably not the best person to give advise here as I probably resemble the mad hatter at times in relation to training queries on my log :D

I can understand the logic you are applying and it does make sense with regards risk/reward rationale. I used to be the same I wouldn't be able to train at higher intensity sessions for too long because would be a shock to the system and my body would break down if I tried to do too back to back high intensity sessions for too long so I played safe and trained to my strengths moreso than my weaknesses.

I would say at this point in your running though there would be alot to be gained by working on your weaknesses, that isn't to say do speed work but rather train your body to be able to handle speedwork

I remember Pete Magill writing a great article regarding preparing your body for speed work. Two of the pillars behind this was muscle fibre recruitment and the development of neural pathways

Rather than just using supplementary work as injury preventative look at it as performance related (i.e power development and neural pathway development as a way of working on muscle fibre recruitment)

I know doing alot of this last year what I found was that I was able to transition between the higher intensity stuff and the training I was used to alot easier and it didnt take me a few sessions to "wake the legs up"

Edit: Found link what I am talking about is the first two components; http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/how-to-build-a-better-running-engine

Monday 17th

9.00 miles in 1:02:54 (6:59/mile)

Mrs BB has calmness-bendiness class on mondays and I couldnt runmute, so was nearly 10pm when I got out. Still, enjoyable run on a still evening.

In the place I get lunch, theres a lady who serves my food. Proper dub. Every day she gives me my soup and whatever, smiles and and says - without the slightest hint of sarcasm - 'bon apeteeeeh'. Gets me every time :). Anyway, she was saying that she saw me running last week. Told me I 'looked really boll*xed'. Intruiged, I tried to find out when and where she'd seen me. Turns out I was about 400m into my run :rolleyes:

Tuesday 18th

9.97 miles overall inc 8 x 400m, 1 min rec.

1.85 mile w/up @ 7:07/mile
    8 x 400m, 1 min rec.: 79, 78, 78, 78, 76, 77, 76, 76
    rest as c/d

Club session. I was a bit tired heading out. Was keen to run this in a controlled way. Appropriate pace instead of testosterone pace (there was some racing going on in the summer :rolleyes::)). Happy with how it went, was working but could have kept going and didnt 'race' any of them. Enjoyable cooldown with clubmates.

Wednesday 19th

9.01 miles in 1:02:04 (6:53/mile)

Runmute. Nice conditions.

Thursday 19th

11.64 miles overall

6.00 miles in 41:44 (6:58/mile)
    5.43 miles steady in 33:21 (6:09/mile)
    rest as c/d

Home through some serious fog. Up to the 1.07 mile 'DCM' lap for the steady miles. Enjoyed these - faster and felt stronger than last week. Again, I was working, but felt in control. Jogged home happy.

Friday 20th

8.31 miles in 57:07 (6:52/mile)

Out at nearly 9pm. Round and round. Just got it done.

Saturday 21st

7.01 miles in 56:19 (6:52/mile)

Out with little one early on, this is too late to be running the night before a LSR. I can sometimes fall into the trap of thinking that when I go to sleep its a complete reset and i'll be fine in the morning. In reality i'm planning to run 27 miles in 15 hours!

Sunday 22nd

20.00 miles in 2:19:43 (6:59/mile)

Out at 10am. Lovely morning, cool and a little breeze. Started off by heading up to cruagh, found the climb a little tough (25:18), perhaps only a light meal post the run the previous day wasnt a great idea. Abandoned the idea of going up again so did a few laps locally, then headed up to marlay to dodge the dogs and drink-driving kids on scooters and then home. Legs heavy by the end, but finished with a faster few miles.

74.95 miles this week

Monday 23rd

8.01 miles in 56:15 (7:01/mile)

Commute, light winds. Id forgotten my runners, but then found an old pair in the office that meant I could runmute and avoid a 10pm run. Its the little things!

Tuesday 24th

Overall 11.34 miles inc 4 x 8 mins, 2 min rec.

1.72 mile w/up @ 6:58/mile
    4 x 8 mins, 2 min rec.: 1.37 miles (5:52/mile), 1.46 miles (5:29/mile), 1.38 miles (5:50/mile), 1.46 miles (5:29/mile)
    rest as c/d

Club session. I enjoyed this. A clubmate was running at my pace, makes it all much easier. Reps 1 and 3 are gradually uphill, 2 and 4 are the way back. Felt strong, but had to work hard on the 3rd rep. Enjoyable cooldown again.

Wednesday 25th

6.11 miles in 42:51 (7.01 mile)

Commute. Had planned 9 but right achilles was a little sore so cut it short. Cliche of the day - better safe than sorry.

Thursday 26th

unplanned rest. long day at work and OH had to go out. Crossed wires meant she didnt get back till late and I couldnt get out. A 30 second investigation was launched and after a while we got to to the bottom of it. For the 1167th consecutive time, the fault was mine :pac:

Friday 27th

7.01 miles in 48:08 (6:52/mile)

Spent the day in langerland (the county, not the shoeneberg nightlub). Got home at 9ish, wave at Mrs BB and out the door to repeat the exact same LSR mistake I made last week. If I took too days off the sky would actually fall in. :rolleyes:

Saturday 28th

21.00 miles in 2:22:04 (6:46/mile)

Out at nearly midday. Mrs BB made time for me to get out because she was on the beer that night and wanted me to the the little one swimming. Around and around the DCM lap like a hamster on a wheel - I was watching the achilles. No ipod - broken. Strangely enjoyed this. I seemed to internally 'play' music in my head all the way. Eclectic mix, but it kept coming back to 'eye of the tiger' for some reason. Felt good, finished with a faster mile.

Sunday 29th

12.00 miles in 1:38:03 (8:10/mile)

Out early with clubmates. Had to be back for swimming and they kindly changed their route to allow me tag along. Up to the reservoir and back. Great route, enjoyable run. Even speculation about the origins and possible aggravation of PVincents arse-injury couldnt spoil it (im very visual). ;):)

64.5 miles this week

Monday 1st

8.00 in 55:22 (6:55/mile)

Really windy commute

Tuesday 2nd

9.10 miles 1:02:40 (6:53/mile)

Freezing cold. My achilles has been sore. I tried to look after it straight away and its been manageable so far. The club session was hill sprints this evening so I have it a miss.

Wednesday 3rd

10.01 miles in 1:06:10 (6:37/mile)

Mrs BB away but had a babysitter for 1 h 10 mins, so I enjoyed a slightly faster 10 miles given that i'd skipped the session the day before. Freezing cold, but windless. Enjoyed this one.

Thursday 4th

7:00 miles in 47:21 (6:46/mile)

Rushed commute in cold conditions to get home on time to let childminder go.

Friday 5th

8:00 miles in 55:43 (6:56/mile)

Late one when OH got in. Enjoyable though, roads to myself.

Saturday 6th

8:00 miles in 53:33 (6:41/mile)

Busy day, got back from work later than expected, then kids party in my house to extricate myself from and out the door to squeeze a quick 8 in before heading to the Bros Pearse christmas party.

Missed the drinks reception and arrived to the dinner to find everyone seated, watching a projection on a screen; a computer generated burlesque dancer with my face, doing the can-can with 4 other unfortunates. So started a bizarre but fun evening involving (inter alia) poetry, an impression of bosco in his death throes, me winning three bottles of very posh wine (classy club), some leg squeezing (ok, mostly a classy club :)), witnessing a choreographed dance routine that made me really think about whether if 'inception' was possible, my own best dance moves, stuff I havent seen since weddings in the 1980s, lots of whiskey and me getting very merry and eventually quite fuzzily confused by the end at 3am. Quite a night. Join Bros Pearse folks.

Sunday 7th

10.00 miles in 1:08:27 (6:51/mile)

Late. Hungover. Cold. Horrible.

weekly mileage: 60.2 miles

Monday 8th

Rest. Opportunity didnt knock and I had the beginnings of a chest infection and sore achilles so I just took it off.

Tuesday 9th

Overall: 11.13 miles

Inc 2 x 10 min tempo, 3 min rest: 1.77 miles (5:38/mile), 1.74 miles (5:45/mile)

rest as w/up and c/d

Club session. Traffic was terrible and I missed the first of the three planned reps. very very windy. Split the reps with 5 mins right into the wind followed by 5 with it behind. Loads out despite the horrible conditions. Real challenge pace management wise, also was trying to watch the achilles. Effort felt about right, hard, but could have done more easily enough.

Wednesday 10th

9.01 miles in 1:02:39 (6:57/mile)

Commute, achilles a little sore.

Thursday 11th

10.01 miles in 1:08:11 (6:49/mile)

Didnt do a session with the achilles. Not a great morning in work, but a couple of miles into this one at (late) lunchtime and was feeling much better. Enjoyable one along the coast to blackrock and back. The achilles felt better than yesterday. Little bit of light rain and not too much wind. Love running along the sea.

Friday 12th

6.40 miles in 43:49 (6:51/mile)

All I had time for. Very cold, had to rush to collect the little one.

Saturday 13th

10.60 miles in 1:11:59 (6:47/mile)

Busy morning, quick catnap and them after some dreadful procrastinating I was out in the hat and gloves for a cold one. Enjoyed this, felt like I was cruising and wanted to tire the legs a tiny bit for the next day. Finished my run at the indian takeaway :)

Sunday 14th

overall: 19.5 miles (lots of breaks, av. pace 7:56)

Windy club hill run. Ran to marlay, did a couple of miles and met up with clubmates. Headed up to tibradden as far as the pylons. Enjoyed this part of it, hadnt been up there before. Chatted to people on the way, quick photo huddled against wind at the top and then back. Did a few miles on my own and then had coffee and cake (join Bros Pearse folks :)) with the clubmates. Headed for home with jcsmum. Just as we were getting to my house I look at the watch - 14 miles. I stupidly ask her what she is on - 18 miles. Balls. Im supposed to be training for an ultra, last week's LSR was 10 miles, and she's done bloody 18 :). With a heavy heart I decide and plod past my warm house with its inviting confectionary and alcohol, and plod on into the wind and glycogen depletion. First bit was fine with some chat, then waved her off at 15ish miles and then began 4 of the least enjoyable, horrible miles ive had in a long time. I pass mortons pub, i'd love a pint. I pass the orchcard, it stings, I get to the yellow house and the 2 windy miles to the house seem an impossibly large distance. I'm quite surprised, but i'm actually really really, struggling. Legs heavy, breathing heavy. Buglers is the last little stab in the heart, and then im into the strectch for home, absolutely knackered.

Get to the house and its 19.5 on the watch. The estate is 0.5 miles in circumference exactly. Normally this isnt even a decision, I get to 20. Today I stopped the watch, went in and opened a cold belgian one before I even had a drink of water.

Not sure what happened. I never fade on lsrs. Maybe it as the climb (pace was conversational for me though so prob not), maybe I did too much the day before or maybe it was too long on the feet since I started, in any case, glad I stayed out for the extra miles and its a salutatory lesson about not taking distance for granted in training

On the plus side, achilles was ok over the distance. Long run next weekend, EOI marathon on the 27th, then its 6 weeks to donadea. Need to get over this achilles and get the finger out.

weekly mileage: 66.7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I think the abnormal fatigue on your long run could be just a mental thing. I can remember a couple of situations where I've had to extend a run for one reason or another and the miles beyond where I had initially planned to stop are always a nightmare. It's just your brain saying 'Cop on now, you told me we were going to stop 5 miles ago. Seriously? Well, you're getting no help from me.':P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

back on the thousand heel drops a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Windy club hill run. Ran to marlay, did a couple of miles and met up with clubmates. Headed up to tibradden as far as the pylons.

Tibradden? I could have sworn we ran to Ticknock. ;)
    You make it too easy! :rolleyes:

I think the abnormal fatigue on your long run could be just a mental thing. I can remember a couple of situations where I've had to extend a run for one reason or another and the miles beyond where I had initially planned to stop are always a nightmare. It's just your brain saying 'Cop on now, you told me we were going to stop 5 miles ago. Seriously? Well, you're getting no help from me.':P

Cheers M. That was definitely part of it. Not my finest (half) hour!
    RayCun wrote: »
    back on the thousand heel drops a day?

Yup. I've been wearing weights, bobbing up and down backwards off the top step like a suicidal but indecisive olympic springboard diver, and my calves are now more flexible than Sinn Fein's fiscal policies.
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Tibradden? I could have sworn we ran to Ticknock. ;)
    You make it too easy! :rolleyes:

It posts!

Tomay-to Toma-to. Thanks, youre a Great Boost for the ego :)

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

If the achilles is sore it might be an idea to stay away from hilly routes for a while? You're tipping away nicely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Pretty sure I just saw the 3rd sign of the apocalypse when I opened up park run results this morning ;)

Great run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

ECOLII wrote: »
    Pretty sure I just saw the 3rd sign of the apocalypse when I opened up park run results this morning ;)

Great run

Doing some top secret Ninja training is he?

Very underhand.:mad:

ECOLII wrote: »
    Great run

Cheers L :)

The Third Seal – Famine

“When The Lamb opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, “Come!” I looked, and there before me was a black horse!"  (Revelation 6:5-6)

Emaciation, a dark horse...sounds about right actually.

Doing some top secret Ninja training is he?

Very underhand.:mad:

Not been ninjaing. My real name is Stephen. Ive been writing a project about my training and boards experiences.

Its out now. Will log soon.

Advertisement