Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipped Wii and update warning

Options
  • 12-01-2010 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

A mate has a Wii with Wiiclip I think, update on newer games warn " If your Wii console has an unauthorized technical modification, this upgrade could cause inoperability of your console" . His chip is the one that clips onto a chip on the dvd-rom. Is it safe to update his console or is their a possibility of it being bricked?
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

He should just install the HBC, and run a disc loader. From there you can bypass disc updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Cheers for reply Enter Now. Had to google HBC, not really up to date with wii modding:D more knowleable with the Xbox. Really just need to know can I run update without bricking box. Do not really want to touch the Wii if at all possible, opening them is a pain :) I said to him I will take out chip if update is unsafe.
    Cheers

mayto wrote: »
    Cheers for reply Enter Now. Had to google HBC, not really up to date with wii modding:D more knowleable with the Xbox. Really just need to know can I run update without bricking box. Do not really want to touch the Wii if at all possible, opening them is a pain :) I said to him I will take out chip if update is unsafe.
    Cheers

To install the Homebrew Channel -or any other form of homebrew, there is no need to open the wii at all. Everyhting is done from SD card. There are some reports of FW4.2 detecting mod-chips. If your chip is detected, it just wont function on that firmware. I dont think there's a danger of bricking the unit though.

Install HBC and a disc loader, should take you all of an hour to do your homework on them/whats needed etc - and from there he can stay on his current fw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 DJN

Need help with Wii, mine is chipped for 12 months now, having problems with drive not reading discs and takes a while to eject disc but does come out.

Wii is working, you can see menu on the TV.

Any ideas on how to fix this or can anyone fix it for me if I drop it out to them in Dublin ?

DJN wrote: »
    Need help with Wii, mine is chipped for 12 months now, having problems with drive not reading discs and takes a while to eject disc but does come out.

Wii is working, you can see menu on the TV.

Any ideas on how to fix this or can anyone fix it for me if I drop it out to them in Dublin ?

You would be better off creating a new thread for this. Your problem could be one of a million things. You need to post the exact state your Wii is in (whats installed/cIos'/loader versions/media types etc etc) before we can help you fault find.

Oh, and familiarize yourself with the charter incase you post anything unsuitable in your description.

• Advertisement
Advertisement