Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways to motivate myself for study?

Options
  • 12-01-2010 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

I'm halfway through fifth year at the moment. I'm going to try and study properly when I go back to school tomorrow. Before now I studied for my Christmas tests, but didn't do much else throughout the year. So I'd like to know:
    1)How I can motivate myself to study. Being able to see progress would help me alot.
    2) Any techniques to help remember things? Besides reading or writing it down. They don't seem completely effective to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Do you have goals you are aiming towards?
    unless you really want to work you wont.

Im a repeat leaving cert student and cant even bring myself to study much anymore but i did still manage to get my goal for last years leaving so i know im capable of it now.

i find shortening things like essays down to a word per paragraphs works well while tryign to remember stuff:)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Do you have goals you are aiming towards?
    unless you really want to work you wont.

Im a repeat leaving cert student and cant even bring myself to study much anymore but i did still manage to get my goal for last years leaving so i know im capable of it now.

i find shortening things like essays down to a word per paragraphs works well while tryign to remember stuff:)

My goals as a little blurred at moment but they're still capable of motivating me. I suppose it's a case of summarising an essay and then learning it? Does that seem to work, ie once you know the outline the rest will come to you, if you've given a reasonable look over it? Obviously everyone is a little different...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭cxh20y

what aisling said.. if you dont really have an aim, you'll find it harder to study in comparison to others.
    I'm motivated to study, but sometimes when it fades i do the following! :

say to myself, if i study this chapter well, i can watch my favourite programme on the internet/tv
    " " " " i'll have a chocolate bar
    " " " etc
    it may sound stupid, but it works for me!?

or i say to myself..

jesus its only a couple of months just do some study and it'll save you repeating!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

I'm in 6th year now and the thing that makes me study is the thought of repeating.... I'd be let behind and i'd miss my friends

Advertisement