Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Low wifi signal

• 12-01-2010 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hello. I am a student in a Dublin University (my username reveals which one). I know very little about technology.

I live across the street from college, and so can connect to the student wifi. The problem however is that I can only get a working signal by placing my laptop in one very specific place in the flat (my roommates windowsill).

Is it possible that I can purchase (forgive my ignorance) some kind of signal booster? Or wifi antenna or something? What exactly should I get?

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

BalthazarB wrote: »
    Hello. I am a student in a Dublin University (my username reveals which one). I know very little about technology.

I live across the street from college, and so can connect to the student wifi. The problem however is that I can only get a working signal by placing my laptop in one very specific place in the flat (my roommates windowsill).

Is it possible that I can purchase (forgive my ignorance) some kind of signal booster? Or wifi antenna or something? What exactly should I get?

Thank you.
    Boosting the signal wouldn't be technically worth it because it should be a lot closer to the wireless router itself (which is in the Uni) and not on the edge of the radius.

I suggest a more powerful wireless receiver that you can place on the windowsill and wire it into your laptop - still portable but able to pick up networks from a much further distance.

These retail about €70 euro - http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=32&FamID=60&ProdID=280

resize.php?image=_0.98130200%201143240740&height=200&category=main_image&type=jpeg

hwu8dd_diagram.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,231 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Your laptop's wifi is a low power sender/receiver. Routers on the other hand are purpose built broadcasters. Similarly having a purpose ready receiver will benefit you greatly there.

Advertisement