Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water just cut-off in west Dublin

• 09-01-2010 1:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭

One of the mates is a taxi driver and told me there's a water mains burst on the fonthill road and traffic was being diverted. Coincendently i then got a text about it saying the water was being switched off.

I've no idea if it is but there's a large pipe burst in the area so may be worth filling your kettles just incase the water does get turned off overnight

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Great. No more water until 9AM. In the country with the most rainfall per capita in Europe. And thanks for giving no notice either :rolleyes:

linky to sdcc
    Areas north of the Naas Road have now lost their water supply. This is Lucan, Palmerstown and Clondalkin with the exception of Clondalkin Village, Monastery, Green Isle Area, Newcastle and Rathcoole.

The supply will remain off until 4.00 a.m. Therefore customers should have water back in their homes by 9:00 a.m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Thanks for the info I was wondering if it was gone for good or just rationing, as you said its a bit of a joke with all the rain we get we run out of water :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

If we lived in the desert we'd have run out of sand too! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Ahh cock.

EDIT: Still running here, gone in Palmerstown

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    EDIT: Still running here

Best start filling the pans, kettles and buckets so :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 bamboozle36dd

Best Be quick filling the pots, pressure REALLY low! :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Ah ffs I need a shower :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Gone in Griffeen area of Lucan now.

What's the story with solid fuel back boilers and no mains water? Any issues? I'm sure I've heard it has an effect.... (Family away and I'm clueless about these things, sorry!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

GigaByte wrote: »
    :D

Phasers - normal tank will suffice 24hrs in a house, quick shower, just be ware the water will be real hot, so careful of scaulding.
    Miss lockhart -i believe there has to be water in tank to use the back boiler system, but not sure when no mains available sorry :-s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Gone in Griffeen area of Lucan now.

What's the story with solid fuel back boilers and no mains water? Any issues? I'm sure I've heard it has an effect.... (Family away and I'm clueless about these things, sorry!)

I don't think they work without a circulation of water,could possibly explode. I'm not an expert though,you might get a better answer here:http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=116

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

You could have all the rain you want but it will do no good as long as idiots leave their taps running and pipes burst due to freezing.

Jip wrote: »
    You could have all the rain you want but it will do no good as long as idiots leave their taps running and pipes burst due to freezing.

Ive no water because i DIDNT leave my tap running :( its froze solid underground because there was no flow last saturday night :mad:

I wouldnt be so quick to call people who leave their taps running idiots. I feel like the idiot here :D Seems like we get so much rain here that the problem is clearly a lack of contingency reservoirs.

Jip wrote: »

To be fair, the shortage was probably caused by all those feckin' eejits who haven't a feckin' clue leaving their taps running just because they think it might prevent their pipes from freezing :rolleyes:

I've yet to hear about a single case of the main water supply into the house freezing. It nearly always is the in house piping.

If you are reading this, you should be ashamed of yourself. Now go onto the DIY forum and ask the good people over there how you can prevent your water supply from ceasing.

there have been cases of mains supply pipes freezing over - been there :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

When I say pipes burst due to freezing, I didn't mean the pipes of people leaving their taps running, I of course meant the mains.

Was staying in the midlands over the Christmas period and it was an issue there as early as Christmas week, again mainly due to taps left running on outhouses and other farm buildings, however as the reservoir was quite small but usually well capable of supplying a small village it drained fairly quickly due it being unable to fill again quickly enough.

unkel wrote: »
    I've yet to hear about a single case of the main water supply into the house freezing. It nearly always is the in house piping.

happened several people on my road. The mains to the house was frozen in driveways underground. Turns out the pipes were not insulated and only just below the surface:(

• Registered Users Posts: 47 regular john

So this pipe on the Fonthil road is still burst? I'm still without water today (Ballyowen) and no mention of a problem in my area on the sdcc website.

Mains water has been back here in south Lucan since earlier this morning, but there's not enough pressure to fill the tank :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 regular john

Back here now too...but also at low pressure. Hopefully be back to normal soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Still hardly any pressure here in Ballyowen. The tank isn't refilling itself so no shower or toilets refilling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bitwise

GigaByte wrote: »

I find it somewhat annoying and also funny. I came from Russia, siberia region where -25 is normal winter temperature and -15 is warm during winter, I grew up during soviet rule and even back then I don't remember any problem with burst water mains.

how come it happens here. It is not *really* cold.

It must be poor building / engineering.

Really hope Ireland is going to change.

Water has been gone all day without warning. Only late afternoon the sdcc.ie site was updated promising us water from 7PM today. A trickle of brown undrinkable water started at 8PM, but there is still nowhere near enough pressure to fill the tank. And it will be cut off again completely at midnight :rolleyes:

Third world country anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Its a freaking disgrace and guarentee that even if we were paying water rates we'd still have the same situation. You would have thought they would have had the forsight to make sure everything was checked out and sorted after the cold spell in January this year fekin joke sdcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Its a freaking disgrace and guarentee that even if we were paying water rates we'd still have the same situation. You would have thought they would have had the forsight to make sure everything was checked out and sorted after the cold spell in January this year fekin joke sdcc
    There's no amount of foresight could have prevented this happening. Water mains are too close to the surface in some cases, the slightest prolonged frost and they are affected. The mains are also fairly old in places so the pipes are weaker and more susceptible to breaks and cracks.

Short of ripping up the existing mains and relaying new piping at adequate depth and protecting them from cold, then this is going to be an annual event if the predictions of prolonged cold winters for the foreseeable future are to be believed. Given the state the country is in financially at the moment, I don't see them doing major rework on the water network anytime soon...

Advertisement