Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wire: 2009 Rewind

Options
  • 12-01-2010 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭

311cover.jpg

50 Records Of The Year

Broadcast & The Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults Of The Radio Age (Warp)
    Oneohtrix Point Never Rifts (No Fun Productions)
    Bill Orcutt A New Way To Pay Old Debts (Palilalia)
    Alasdair Roberts Spoils (Drag City)
    Sunn O))) Monoliths & Dimensions (Southern Lord)
    David Sylvian Manafon (Samadhisound)
    Group Doueh Treeg Salaam (Sublime Frequencies)
    Jim O’Rourke The Visitor (Drag City)
    Ben Frost By The Throat (Bedroom Community)
    King Midas Sound Waiting For You (Hyperdub)
    Harappian Night Recordings The Glorious Gongs Of Hainuwele (Bo’Weavil)
    Dirty Projectors Bitte Orca (Domino)
    Shackleton 3 EPs (Perlon)
    Sa-Ra Creative Partners Nuclear Evolution: The Age Of Love (Ubiquity)
    Atom™ Liedgut (Raster-Noton)
    Mordant Music SyMptoMs (Mordant Music)
    Masayuki Takayanagi Archive 1 (Jinya Disc)
    Matias Aguayo Ay Ay Ay (Kompakt)
    Hecker Acid In The Style Of David Tudor (Editions Mego)
    William Basinski 92982 (2062)
    The xx xx (XL)
    Flower-Corsano Duo The Four Aims (VHF)
    Gary War Horribles Parade (Sacred Bones)
    Courtis/Moore Brokebox Juke (No-Fi)
    Leyland Kirby Sadly The Future Is No Longer What It Was (History Always Favours The Winners)
    Group Bombino Guitars From Agadez Vol 2 (Sublime Frequencies)
    Peter Evans Nature/Culture (Psi)
    Kevin Drumm Imperial Horizon (Hospital Productions)
    Dãm-Funk Toeachizown (Stones Throw)
    Animal Collective Merriweather Post Pavillion (Domino)
    Pan Sonic & Keiji Haino Shall I Download A Black Hole And Offer It To You? (Blast First Petite)
    Moritz Von Oswald Trio Vertical Ascent (Honest Jons)
    MEV MEV 40 (New World)
    Black Dice Repo (Paw Tracks)
    Emeralds What Happened (No Fun Productions)
    Position Normal Position Normal (Rum)
    Belbury Poly From An Ancient Star (Ghost Box)
    Julie Tippetts & Martin Archer Ghosts Of Gold (Discus)
    Billy Bao May 08 (Parts Unknown)
    Sun Araw Heavy Deeds (Not Not Fun)
    Richard Youngs Under Stellar Stream (Jagjaguwar)
    Subway Subway II (Soul Jazz)
    Lionel Marchetti & Oliver Capparos Equus (Grand Véhicule)(Pogus Productions)
    The Stooges You Don’t Want My Name You Want My Action: 1971 The Missing Link (Easy Action)
    Eliane Radigue Triptych (Important)
    **** Buttons Tarot Sport (ATP)
    Glenn Jones Barbecue Bob In Fishtown (Strange Attractors Audio House)
    Black To Comm Alphabet 1968 (Dekorder)
    Cold Cave Love Comes Close (Heartworm Press)
    Hildur Gudnadóttir Without Sinking (Touch)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've got the following, all of them are good apart from Animal Collective which was awful and Flower-Corsano Duo and Emeralds which were life alteringly good.
    DominoDub wrote: »
    Hecker Acid In The Style Of David Tudor (Editions Mego)
    Flower-Corsano Duo The Four Aims (VHF)
    Courtis/Moore Brokebox Juke (No-Fi)
    Emeralds What Happened (No Fun Productions)

There's a few more on the list I'd like to get, namely:
    Broadcast & The Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults Of The Radio Age (Warp)
    Oneohtrix Point Never Rifts (No Fun Productions)
    Leyland Kirby Sadly The Future Is No Longer What It Was (History Always Favours The Winners)
    Kevin Drumm Imperial Horizon (Hospital Productions)
    Pan Sonic & Keiji Haino Shall I Download A Black Hole And Offer It To You? (Blast First Petite)
    Glenn Jones Barbecue Bob In Fishtown (Strange Attractors Audio House)
    Hildur Gudnadóttir Without Sinking (Touch)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭DáireM

Dirty Projectors Bitte Orca (Domino)The xx xx (XL)
    Dãm-Funk Toeachizown (Stones Throw)

These are the ones that I've listened to from the list. Ben Frost's is class and Dam-Funk is great too, just catchy fun tunes really.

Got Sunn O))) due to the hype but not really my cupán tae and didn't love Bitte Orca, although it isn't awful either.

What type of stuff is the Flower-Corsano Duo and Emeralds? Did they do any features on them in the mag this year? I had a sub but don't remember reading about them.

There was a one page article on Emeralds earlier in the year (Jan/Feb I think) but not much on Flower-Corsano Duo beyond the review of the album but both Michael Flower and Chris Corsano feature regularly on many, many albums and get reviewed.

Emeralds are an electronic band that sound kind of like old German synth bands like Tangerine Dream and Cluster but aren't a pastiche. It's two guys with synths and a guitarist, very spacey and dream-like. Love them. They have quite a few releases out but the one featured in The Wire best of is probably the easiest to find and is one of their best. If you have an LP player and can find the self-titled LP they put out this year on Wagon, I recommend that a lot (it's my number 1 album of 2009).

Flower-Corsano Duo are free improvisation. Corsano is an amazing drummer (google him and just look at all the people he's worked with) and Flower, normally a guitarist, plays an instrument called the shaahi baaja which is sometimes called the Japanese banjo but it isn't really like a banjo at all. It's quite heavy if you're not into free improv but the swirling, dizzying music is pure brilliance if you ask me (which you did :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭DáireM

John wrote: »
    There was a one page article on Emeralds earlier in the year (Jan/Feb I think) but not much on Flower-Corsano Duo beyond the review of the album but both Michael Flower and Chris Corsano feature regularly on many, many albums and get reviewed.

Emeralds are an electronic band that sound kind of like old German synth bands like Tangerine Dream and Cluster but aren't a pastiche. It's two guys with synths and a guitarist, very spacey and dream-like. Love them. They have quite a few releases out but the one featured in The Wire best of is probably the easiest to find and is one of their best. If you have an LP player and can find the self-titled LP they put out this year on Wagon, I recommend that a lot (it's my number 1 album of 2009).

Flower-Corsano Duo are free improvisation. Corsano is an amazing drummer (google him and just look at all the people he's worked with) and Flower, normally a guitarist, plays an instrument called the shaahi baaja which is sometimes called the Japanese banjo but it isn't really like a banjo at all. It's quite heavy if you're not into free improv but the swirling, dizzying music is pure brilliance if you ask me (which you did :)).

Cheers for this, will defo check out Emeralds and I'll give The Flower-Corsano Duo a shot too.

Cool, hope you enjoy both of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

The Whale Watching Tour @ the NCH April 21st ..!

Great Line up ....

Nico Muhly, Ben Frost, Valgeir Sigurðsson and Sam Amidon

http://www.nch.ie/Box-Office/Performances/Whale-Watching-Tour-II.aspx?date=21/04/2010&time=2100

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Looks like I've a lot of catching up to do with 2009! I've only got the F*ck Buttons and Moritz Von Oswald trio, both great albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Dirty Projectors Bitte Orca (Domino)
    Shackleton 3 EPs (Perlon)

they would be my favourites out of that list. disappointed tim heckers - an imaginary country didnt make it, but the wire always depresses me anyways. It always confirms the sad truth that no matter how much ill try ill never be able to keep up with good stuff being released. im shamed that i never picked up flower corsano duos album after being blown away by them live earlier in the year.

on another note regarding the wire, if you pick up the latest edition look out for the most pompous and condescending review review you will ever read. the wire's review of the unsound festival :D

id recommend for everyone to try to make it to the whale watching tour. saw them at the above festival and it was one of the highlights.

im shamed that i never picked up flower corsano duos album after being blown away by them live earlier in the year.

Seeing them live was more important than getting the album. The album is great but really pales in comparison to the gigs I've seen.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I picked up that Broadcast and the Focus Group release today as a random purchase... disappointed I must say on first listen so far, a bit too psychedelic for my liking. I've almost hit the stop button now a couple of times but will persevere till the end!

Also bought 'The Future Crayons' by Broadcast, that I am enjoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

A nice overview of The Wire's : [2000-2009] Rewinds

http://rateyourmusic.com/lists/list_view?list_id=216387&show=50&start=0

Advertisement