Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Containers off the Waterford coast....

• 12-01-2010 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭

0002e7e3-150.jpg

Elsewhere, seven containers were lost from a cargo vessel this afternoon off the south coast.

Strong winds and 25ft high waves have been recorded off the Waterford coast and they are believed to be a factor in the vessel, the BG Dublin, losing the seven containers around 20 miles south of Tramore.

It is not know what were in the containers.

The vessel was on its way to Cork and is now sheltering from the high winds, which are reaching speeds of up to 50 knots.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0112/weather.html

I remember a few years ago something similar happened in the UK and there were lots of people scavenging/stealing stuff on the beaches when the containers came ashore.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

The news was saying one potentially contained harmful materials and warned everybody to stay away from it, could be just the shipping company trying to ward of scavengers.

I know I woudnt take the risk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Damn it.

I'm expecting a shipment of 4 boxes that were due in from Singapore two days ago, and no one seems to know where they are.

If my stuff's floating around the Waterford coast I shall not be pleased!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

I remember a few years ago something similar happened in the UK and there were lots of people scavenging/stealing stuff on the beaches when the containers came ashore.

I remember that actually one fella got a brand new BMW motorbike in perfect condition!! If i remember correctly there was no law preventing them from keeping what they found, I know the owners of the containers were seeking to get them charged with theft. I think its grand go and see what you can get as long as the guards aren't there and tell you to go away or if you break any kind lock on any container id imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

'One is believed to contain hazardous sodium bromate used in dyes and the other six were carrying bird food, fire logs and medical equipment. '

Spotted that on another site, reckon Tramore might lose it's blue flag over the chemicals if it's true ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

anyone remember the beachcombers?? there'l be a few of em out tonight and tomorrow :D

beachcombersbooklet-front-005.jpg

Bird seed and firelogs.... sounds to me as if they're trying to put people off searching for em,,, who ships bird seed between cork and dublin by sea,,,, trust me these containers are full of goodies...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

jayboi wrote: »
    I remember that actually one fella got a brand new BMW motorbike in perfect condition!! If i remember correctly there was no law preventing them from keeping what they found, I know the owners of the containers were seeking to get them charged with theft. I think its grand go and see what you can get as long as the guards aren't there and tell you to go away or if you break any kind lock on any container id imagine.
    In Britain, all cargo recovered by members of the public must be reported to the Government. It's not illegal to remove pieces but it remains the property of its original owner and if you don't report what you've recovered then it's essentially stealing. Not sure what the laws here are though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭aws

Wednesday, 13 January 2010 16:17
    The LE Niamh naval vessel has retrieved a number of bags of bird seed from the water in its search for a number of containers that went overboard from a cargo vessel yesterday.
    So far there have been no sightings of the seven 40ft containers, which fell into the sea off the south coast about 20 miles off Tramore.
    The containers were carrying bird food, fire logs, medical equipment and one contained the hazardous material Sodium Bromate.
    Advertisement

The Coast Guard helicopter is searching again this afternoon and the LE Niamh remains in the vicinity.
    Naval officers on board the LE Niamh say the missing containers are undectable by radar. It is believed that they have all sunk.
    Some floating objects were found in the area that are consistant with the contents of the missing containers.
    Shoreline searches by the coastguard units in Tramore, Bunmahon, Helvick, Ardmore and Youghal are currently being hampered by a bad fog in the area and will resume in the morning.

Members of the public are being urged to stay at least 100m away from the containers, should they happen to come ashore over the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Its kinda nice that having seen all those photos of birds suffering oil slicks from striken tankers, that this shipping problem is music to their tiny little ears. Bird food floating around everywhere. Birdy Christmas!

Just hope they dont eat the sodium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Typhoon. wrote: »
    anyone remember the beachcombers?? there'l be a few of em out tonight and tomorrow :D

Bird seed and firelogs.... sounds to me as if they're trying to put people off searching for em,,, who ships bird seed between cork and dublin by sea,,,, trust me these containers are full of goodies...:D

Ah Rellick and his Shenanigans ftw!

with this economy there could be a fair load of people down the beaches after a few crates of firelogs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

or people will resort to eating bird food just for the sake of scavenging it lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

A good excuse to revive the old practice of wrecking: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrecking_(shipwreck). :)

I think that things that are washed up, that are not manned, are there for the taking, or else that used to be the case. There were rumours that if a ship was wrecked and one or two lads were left on the ship, and all the wreckers came out for the booty, it wouldn't go well for the few lads, because you couldn't take anything while there were men on board...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

:)
    Damn it.

I'm expecting a shipment of 4 boxes that were due in from Singapore two days ago, and no one seems to know where they are.

If my stuff's floating around the Waterford coast I shall not be pleased!

NOODLES OFF THE MENU SO FOR THE NEXT FEW WEEKS:)

SERIOUSLY THERES BEEN SOME STUFF WASHED UP BY BALLYMCAW SPORTS STUFF LIKE RUNNERS AND FOOTBALLS ETC......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TwoBit Tommy

Typhoon. wrote: »
    anyone remember the beachcombers??

i used to fookin love the beachcomers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

ha ha I just HAD to look it up again... what a flashback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FteZimbz59I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

heard today ,from one lads down the port one of the containers was carrying hi end consumer electronics dunno if that means tvs or stuff like that??

i see now why the state troopers were telling people to stay away from them if they came ashore.....

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

heard today ,from one lads down the port one of the containers was carrying hi end consumer electronics dunno if that means tvs or stuff like that??

i see now why the state troopers were telling people to stay away from them if they came ashore.....
    Have they come ashore yet??? I could do with a new tv haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

chances are that water is after getting into the containers and the stuff in em will be useless!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Blueboi

yeah more than likely what ever was in them will be ruined ,i would like to know what was really in them tho .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Said on 2fm news tonight that debris is being washed ashore tonight from them, anyone have any idea where? Think I might go scavanging between Dunmore and Tramore tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah Beachcombers, weird how some (very modest) programmes make a little place in your heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 rayzfone

The fire logs burn just fine managed to gather two boot loads yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

rayzfone wrote: »
    The fire logs burn just fine managed to gather two boot loads yesterday

I hope you're joking.

From irish times.
    One of the containers held sodium bromate which is used in dyeing and is a hazardous material........if the firelogs contaminated with the chemical were used there was a risk they would explode. There is also a risk of skin irritation for people who might try to use them.

Not really worth it in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I hope you're joking.

From irish times.

Not really worth it in my opinion.

sounds like they're using the sodium bromate story to stop people robbing stuff off the beach. Still, if we hear a big BOOM over the next few days we'll know its rayzfone's house thats blown up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

I was in Stradbally cove yesterday and there were 2 cars piling the wood into the boots of the car..one man had 4 bags and anotehr man had 3..i only got there as they were putting the wood in so not too sure where exactly they got it from as in what part of the cove

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Plenty of white crystals washed up all along the coast between Dungarvan and Stradbally and some coves and beaches are now closed off. Our beach (not closed) is covered in white crystals at the same sort of density along the high tide mark that you'd expect the council to put done salt on the road, looks a bit like salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

I have my loot bag ready and I’m only waiting for the nod ill be out in a flash as soon as all the good stuff washes up but in the mean time if anyone come across any runners size 9 or pants in the 32 leg region give me a shout!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What is the legal status of this stuff being washed up? I thought it still remained the property of whoever owned it. So saying you have committed theft or are going to do so is probably not wise on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Kahless wrote: »
    What is the legal status of this stuff being washed up? I thought it still remained the property of whoever owned it. So saying you have committed theft or are going to do so is probably not wise on boards.ie.

Here is the Revenue Law on it if you fancy reading all 30 pages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Kahless wrote: »

If taking the stuff off the beach is theft then loosing it in the sea is fcuking polution and I don't see anyone paid by the owners comming down to the beach where I live picking up the Sodium Bromate, so if they don't clean it all up then they can't complain if the "useful/valuble" stuff goes missing PERIOD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I presume people are comparing this with the containers from the MSC Napoli washed up on a Devon beach a couple of years ago - I think the final remains of the ship were only finally removed late last year.

I believe anything taken from the beach remains the property of the original owner and has to be declared, although the original owner may let the finder keep it.

It should also be noted that the scavengers on the beach in Devon (particularly the organised gangs who flocked to the area) actually made the situation much worse by breaking open sealed containers and packages and throwing and burning anything they didn't consider valuable all over the beach and around the local area. Eventually the beach (I think it was Branscombe?) was closed off by the Police.

We went to Garrarus yesterday and the road down was closed, don't know if that was related to this incident.

SSE

Advertisement