Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's the Mayor ?

Options
  • 12-01-2010 8:20pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭

I know that (judging by the photos in the Cork Indo) that our Mayor prefers wearing suits and tuxedos but he seems to be woefully absent from anything to do with the calamities that have hit the City.

- He wasn't around encouraging community action to help out in the floods (fair play the Deputy Mayor did do this), he did however open the Christmas Park,

- He didn't seem to be around during the snow and ice

- He doesn't seem to be around during the current water crisis.

I'm not expecting that the Mayor can actually do anything but he could become a spokesperson for the City Council (elected and non-elected) and help spread the news, press the flesh, respond to smaller issues that would maybe just divert corporation resources and generally seem to the there for his people.

I'm only aware of one councillor (Laura Mc Gonigle) who's making any effort to keep folk up to date.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Here I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

parsi wrote: »
    I know that (judging by the photos in the Cork Indo) that our Mayor prefers wearing suits and tuxedos but he seems to be woefully absent from anything to do with the calamities that have hit the City.

- He wasn't around encouraging community action to help out in the floods (fair play the Deputy Mayor did do this), he did however open the Christmas Park,

I'm not expecting that the Mayor can actually do anything but he could become a spokesperson for the City Council (elected and non-elected) and help spread the news, press the flesh, respond to smaller issues that would maybe just divert corporation resources and generally seem to the there for his people.

I'm only aware of one councillor (Laura Mc Gonigle) who's making any effort to keep folk up to date.

Yeah like you said about the indo he seems to be in every picture in the Evening Echo. To be honest i think he's a bit of a PR whore when it comes to opening places and getting his picture taken. In the end the job of lord mayor holds no huge power to be honest and it seems nowadays the position of Lord mayor is just to tell schools they have half days and to open community centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

On a not so silly note, you're totally right! Doubt he'd make a difference but I think the days of Cork coming together as a community are out the window!

I'll be honest, if it wasn't for boards I wouldn't have any info/tips on any of the disasters that have hit Cork lately.

It's all well and good complaining on a forum though, can you suggest anything we can do to highlight our upset?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Yeah like you said about the indo he seems to be in every picture in the Evening Echo. To be honest i think he's a bit of a PR whore when it comes to opening places and getting his picture taken. In the end the job of lord mayor holds no huge power to be honest and it seems nowadays the position of Lord mayor is just to tell schools they have half days and to open community centres.

The man does seem to have an ego. I'd still love to know what it cost when he decided to print off a high gloss colour 4x3 inch cards - with his photo on one side and two Cork songs that were to be sung for his arrival on the other - for every school kid on lord mayors day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

erm....who is the lord mayor? I don't even know his name...I don't buy the Echo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

With the big pay rise he got this year he probably can't consience being around us low rent commoners.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

NoDice wrote: »

It's all well and good complaining on a forum though, can you suggest anything we can do to highlight our upset?

Those of you who are in his ward could mention it the next time he canvasses. Those of us outside his ward could mention it to his party colleagues.

We could email him but I doubt he'd read it.

It's probably not worth getting worked up about (so no facebook groups, online petitions ;) ) but it's worth keeping in mind the next time we read his utterances or see his publicity shots.

Those of you who are in his ward could mention it the next time he canvasses. Those of us outside his ward could mention it to his party colleagues.

It's probably not worth getting worked up about (so no facebook groups, online petitions ;) ) but it's worth keeping in mind the next time we read his utterances or see his publicity shots.

But if we get 1,000,000 people to join our group they might get rid of the mayor like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

You could try ringing this guy. He´s a champion of the common people and will make sure that the news gets around. The Lord Mayor will probably have been tarred, feathered and run out of town by sundown tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

He's obviously been following this guy's work ethic :

mayor+quimby.gif

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Cool_CM wrote: »
    You could try ringing this guy. He´s a champion of the common people and will make sure that the news gets around. The Lord Mayor will probably have been tarred, feathered and run out of town by sundown tomorrow...

Niall Blenderville is only the champion of himself...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Niall Blenderville is only the champion of himself...
    Sorry, I should have made this clearer by adding a :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭diego ribas

Cool_CM wrote: »

Neil truly is the king of kings.

On a serious note, I would not blame the lord mayor for not being around when he has a wife like he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

Whats that about his wife?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

In the age old sayings of Wayne and Garth: SHYWINNG!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

3931270964_92633729b6.jpg

Here she is....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

aster99 wrote: »
    Here she is....

Which one is his wife?

The one on the right. She looks way nicer in other pics ive seen of her. Still would like.....

Advertisement